By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

mZuzek said:

The end is near.

#10 - The first mainline game in this series to be fully in 3D, however its name only represents 2 dimensions.

Pokémon X & Y (nice hint)

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Keeping up the hint train.

12) Ended on a heart-felt note

Hint 2: I'm not referring to the ending of the game's story

Hint 3: The word heart is the key.

Hint 4: It's not Kingdom Hearts, but...

10) From Amaterasu to Sif to Zamazenta, blade wielding dogs seems to repeat.

Hint 2: This game was exclusive to an Xbox console at first.

9) When you wish upon a star...

Hint 2: You might just wish for more shooting stars

8) This remake greatly expanded upon the final chapters of the original

7) To me this is the most disturbing horror game I've played

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

#10Baldur's Gate
guessed byThe_Liquid_Laser
platformWindows/Switch
release year1998
developer/publisherBioWare/Black Isle Studios/Interplay Entertainment
genreRPG
linksWikipedia
past years2020: #13, 2019: #12, 2018: #12, 2017: #9

Baldur's Gate is one of the best attempts to bring a Dungeons&Dragons campaign to a video game. It had D&D license and made a lot of stuff very truthfully to the source material. The world is based on the D&D campaign-setting Forgotten Realms in the region of the Sword Coast. For this game the Infinity engine was developed, which was the base for a lot of similar games, including the sequel Baldur's Gate II, but also Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale.

As in a D&D round you gather a party of individual adventurers and step out in the world to exterminate evil… or get rich… or both. You create your main character, following the D&D rules, but the other characters you find in the game and include them into your party, if you want. But once they are part of your group, you control them all directly. In combat things happen in real-time and you can give orders. If you are overwhelmed (and probably a good idea at the start of battle), you can pause the action to give direct orders. This can be in very fine detail, including which enemy to target, which spell to cast or which weapon to use.

Also outside of battles the game uses D&D rules, for instance for stealth, for pickpocket or for other interactions. Freedom to do what you want is the key philosophy here. Baldur's Gate is a game which often allowed you to play how you want. Therefore systems exists for a lot of things. Decide which party members to recruit. Which way to go. Be evil or a do-gooder. In a way it is a Skyrim with isometric view, a party (instead of a single fighter) and a much deeper battle system.

In Baldur's Gate you create your character based on the D&D-system, which starts out at the fort Candlekeep were you grew up. One day your mentor hastily wants you to leave the keep with him. Outside you encounter a figure that demand of your mentor to hand you over. Your mentor denies this request and fights to allow your escape. On your own now you try to uncover the secrets about this encounter and meet a lot of interesting characters on the way.

The characters are also great in this game. Who doesn't remember Minsc and his miniature giant space hamster Boo? Look, how lovely they are:

Interplay projected 200K sales for the game, in the end it sold past 2 million, a major success for the time.

These group of games seemed gone from the market after the demise of Black Isle, but Black Isle veterans founded Obsidian and developed Pillars of Eternity, Interplay veteran founde inXile which released Torment: Tides of Numenera and Larian Studios started to go in this direction with Divinity. So in modern times we have more games in the style Baldur's Gate started, including after a long time Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios.

The game got an Enhanced Edition some time back (also including console versions), which probably is the best way to play it these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiAsHuRO_Ao

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I have new titles entering my list (eight this year), which in turn means - others are going away. So here are the titles, that were present on my list in past years, but didn't make the cut this time. Which doesn't mean they are bad.

title platform year creator 2017 2018 2019 2020
One Must Fall: 2097 DOS 1994 Diversions Entertainment/Epic MegaGames #50
Zen Pinball 2 WiiU 2012 Zen Studios #49
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wii 2008 Game Arts/Sora Ltd./Nintendo #47
NetHack/Slash'EM Linux 1987 The DevTeam #45
The Cave WiiU 2013 Double Fine Productions/Sega #44
Splatoon WiiU 2015 Nintendo #43
Pikmin 3 WiiU 2013 Nintendo #42
Lego City Undercover WiiU 2013 TT Fusion/Warner Bros. #41
Mario Kart 8 WiiU 2014 Nintendo #37
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade DOS 1989 LucasFilm Games (later LucasArts) #33
Monster Hunter Tri Wii/WiiU 2009 Capcom #32
Borderlands 2 (Tiny Tina DLC) PS3 2012 Gearbox Software/2K Games #24
Disgaea 5 Switch 2015 Nippon Ichi Software #30 #48
The Curious Expedition Linux 2016 Maschinen-Mensch #36 #46
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 DS 2007 Cing #31 #45
Hyrule Warriors WiiU/Switch 2014 Omega Force/Team Ninja/Koei Tecmo #27 #43
Pokémon Omega Ruby 3DS 2014 Game Freak/Nintendo #29 #42
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate Switch 2017 Capcom #33
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Switch 2011 Bethesda #28
Dillon's Rolling Western 3DS 2012 Vanpool/Nintendo #50
Heretic DOS 1994 Raven Software/id software #49
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure Wii 2007 Capcom #38 #44 #48
Rabbids Go Home Wii 2009 Ubisoft #40 #47
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Switch 2017 Ubisoft #34 #46
Dyna Blaster/Bomberman DOS 1990 Hudson Soft #40 #42
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Wii 2007 Retro Studios/Nintendo #17 #29 #41
Cadence of Hyrule Switch 2019 Brace Yourself Games #36
Pathfinder Adventures Android 2017 Obsidian Entertainment/Asmodee Digital/Paizo #50
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii/WiiU 2006 Nintendo #38 #43 #47
Ring Fit Adventure Switch 2019 Nintendo #48
Don't Starve WiiU/Switch 2013 Klei Entertainment/505 Games #46
Spiritfarer Switch 2020 Thunder Lotus Games #42
Pikmin Gamecube/Wii 2001 Nintendo #26 #31 #33 #38
Assassin's Creed Odyssey Stadia 2018 Ubisoft #36
Final Fantasy X PS2/Switch 2001 Square #34
Last edited by Mnementh - on 21 January 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

10. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sega Saturn – 1998)

Yes, I got a Sega Saturn, and yes I got a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. But believe me, I find no enjoyment in the exclusivity of that, as I would wish this masterpiece of a game was accessible to a lot more people. I know Saturn emulation on PC has come a long way, but there are probably still some limitations.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of these games that is huge, unique and just overall masterful in every way. The world building is unbelievable, though it probably takes a lot of inspiration from Star Wars and Dune, but still manages to outdo both! The story is deep and nuanced, with exceptional characters, and the battle system is ingenious, and still extremely unique. Surprisingly no game seem to have ever copied the core idea of the battle system. The game is relatively short for an RPG (15-20 hours), with limited optional content, but I like it that way, as the experience is so strong, focused and deep. I am not that much into RPGs really, but this one is something truly special.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

That's a lot of hints, gonna try to give you a hand here. You haven't sent me your list yet anyway so it's not like I know them.

24 - 5 flowers per level sounds like a Yoshi thing. I'll say Yoshi's Island SNES.
21 - God of War?
20 - Link's Awakening?
11 - You made it easier than it needed to be lol. Smash Ultimate.

I hoped to know more but that's it from me. I wouldn't mind you guessing my #11 in the meantime, it's an easy one too.

24 - Correct! 

21 - Also Correct! 

20 - nope!

11 - Yeah I'd be disappointed if this wasn't figured out immediately. 

Link_Nines.XBC said:

#18 - Final Fantasy XII?

#16 - The laugh thing makes me think of Final Fantasy X

Spoiler!
The hint for #20 also kinda makes me think of FFX, though I don't remember much the details of the dream part in that game.

18 - Correct! 

16 - Also Correct! 

20 cannot be correct sicne 16 is FFX. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Machina said:

Wasn't at my own PC for a few days so I've fallen behind a bit. New clues:

#11 - A sci-fi RTS. My favourite strategy was just building huge lines of defensive turret structures, then teching to nukes and playing around with those, before usually obliterating the enemy with a fleet of bombers.

It's received a few spiritual successors over the years, but none of them really managed to re-capture the magic of this game.

#8 - The sequel to a very inventive and superbly written comedy.

Shower curtains.

#7 - What I love about this game is the sense of speed and momentum you get from the platforming being in first person. The better you are, the less you'll be hindered by various obstacles, and more you're able to maintain that sense of momentum. The art style has always stuck with me too - the colour palette just really struck a chord with me for some reason.

#6 - The best thing about this game is how fiercely strategic and competitive it was and still is. For years I was hooked on trying to advance up the ranking system. I was never good enough to reach the highest ranking, but I was in the one just below that, which meant I got to play with and against quite a few pros over the years.

#6: DOTA2

Signature goes here!

Darashiva said:
S.Peelman said:

Okay so #9 is guessed and for #8 Mario+Rabbids was suggested but this was not correct. I'll add #7.

#9: The final game in this franchise that included a number in its name.

Hint 2: At least this time it's just the actual number and not one with a few zeroes added to it.

Hint 3: This was also the last game in the series which the developer had full control over, because they were bought by a certain publisher (who did already publish this game though), and it shows. It really shows, because the sequels are an insult to the first four games. Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser - SimCity 4

#8: Halfway through one part right after you jump you can turn right and visit a location from another game.

Hint 2: And it's a nice looking castle.

#7: This sequel, like the original, was created in assembly completely by one guy.

Is #8 Mario Kart 64. You can visit Peach's castle in one of the tracks.

Yes!

Excellent. All three guessed now.

Machina said:
TruckOSaurus said:

#6: DOTA2

Yep!

For a good while if I saw you online on Steam or Discord there would be "Playing DOTA 2" next to your name.

Signature goes here!

#11: Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy is fantastic. A masterpiece. What else is there to say? The soundtrack is insanely good, the art design is amazing, every level looks beautiful. Bowser's plans have become more ambitious than ever before and he's out to kill Mario. Rosalina is a great character and the Lumas are cute. The gravity stuff and all those small planets lead to some very different levels from everything that came before.

Galaxy is very nostalgic for me, barring Wii Sports it was my first Wii game when I was still a little kid. Playing it on the Switch last year in HD was a huge nostalgia trip.

The game would be basically perfect if it weren't for one thing, namely the camera in underwater levels, it's crap. Apart from that it's perfect. Incredible game.

Super Mario Galaxy is the fourth 3D Mario platformer on my list so far.