By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Supermario28 said:

Well i'll give away the answers since I have to post the games in my table and give hint for the next games

45. Some say it's a Zelda for 18+ ||| Darksiders ||| guessed by Mnementh

44. a) The main character has to take back his own castle from an evil relative.

b) This game is part of a very very popular franchise

c) The franchise of this Game Boy game is Super Mario and he has a castle for once.

43. a) In this game, Audie seems to be a tribute to a real person

b) Audie is a wolf

c) In this farming and crafting game, Audie can be a villager ||| Animal Crossing: New Horizon ||| guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

42. This game is the first in the serie's timeline ||| The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ||| guessed by The_Liquid_Laser

41. a) Living together in peace, the inhabitants of an island are always full of joy thanks to a tree. But everything is taken away

b) The tree is stolen, and one inhabitant, of desired color, has to go through a 6 pages Storybook to get it back.

c) In this N64 game, Baby Bowser is the villain 

#44: Super Mario Land 2

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Supermario28 said:

44. a) The main character has to take back his own castle from an evil relative.

b) This game is part of a very very popular franchise

c) The franchise of this Game Boy game is Super Mario and he has a castle for once.

#44: Super Mario Land 2

That's the one!

I have new titles entering my list, which in turn means - others are going away. So here are the titles, that were present on my list in past years, but didn't make the cut this time. Which doesn't mean they are bad.

titleplatformyearcreator201720182019
One Must Fall: 2097DOS1994Diversions Entertainment/Epic MegaGames#50
Zen Pinball 2WiiU2012Zen Studios#49
Super Smash Bros. BrawlWii2008Game Arts/Sora Ltd./Nintendo#47
NetHack/Slash'EMLinux1987The DevTeam#45
The CaveWiiU2013Double Fine Productions/Sega#44
SplatoonWiiU2015Nintendo#43
Pikmin 3WiiU2013Nintendo#42
Lego City UndercoverWiiU2013TT Fusion/Warner Bros.#41
Mario Kart 8WiiU2014Nintendo#37
Indiana Jones and the Last CrusadeDOS1989LucasFilm Games (later LucasArts)#33
Monster Hunter TriWii/WiiU2009Capcom#32
Borderlands 2 (Tiny Tina DLC)PS32012Gearbox Software/2K Games#24
Disgaea 5Switch2015Nippon Ichi Software#30#48
The Curious ExpeditionLinux2016Maschinen-Mensch#36#46
Hotel Dusk: Room 215DS2007Cing#31#45
Hyrule WarriorsWiiU/Switch2014Omega Force/Team Ninja/Koei Tecmo#27#43
Pokémon Omega Ruby3DS2014Game Freak/Nintendo#29#42
Monster Hunter Generations UltimateSwitch2017Capcom#33
The Elder Scrolls V: SkyrimSwitch2011Bethesda#28
Dillon's Rolling Western3DS2012Vanpool/Nintendo#50
HereticDOS1994Raven Software/id software#49
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' TreasureWii2007Capcom#38#44#48
Rabbids Go HomeWii2009Ubisoft#40#47
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom BattleSwitch2017Ubisoft#34#46
Dyna Blaster/BombermanDOS1990Hudson Soft#40#42
Metroid Prime 3: CorruptionWii2007Retro Studios/Nintendo#17#29#41
Cadence of HyruleSwitch2019Brace Yourself Games#36

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Super Metroid (SNES)

Change YOY: -5

The progenitor for what is today one of the most popular, and some might argue the most overpopulated video game genre, the Metroidvania, and it's still one of the best examples of the genre over 25 years after its original release. I didn't actually get around to playing Super Metroid for the first time until a few years ago, and in fact, despite having several friends who had the SNES back in the day, none of them owned Super Metroid. Because of that I just never had the chance to play the game growing up.

Although practically every element of the game, from its music to the gameplay is excellent, the real star in my mind is the actual setting of planet Zebes. Every location is impeccably designed and highly varied, while still keeping the world feeling coherent. Add to that the various secrets found around the game world and the excellent boss fights and you have one of the all-time greatest games on your hands. 

Ka-pi96 said:

Extra hints for those remaining.

#49 Horse armour!
How has nobody got this yet? It's like the most infamous DLC of all time!
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion (Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser)

#48 Technically the 3rd game in the series, but also not a sequel. This time on a moon!
It added lasers to the huge arsenal of weapons that you could loot and shoot.
Borderlands The Pre-Sequel (Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown)

#47 This one is a sequel. It featured many different blade colours. It had the standard blue, red and green which were popularised by the movies. But also interesting ones such as orange and silver.
Had a morality system. One that actually ended up being a proper light vs dark one too.
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 (Guessed by S.Peelman)

#46 This entry in a long running franchise finally added a 4th playable kingdom. There are no longer just 3 kingdoms.
"Do not pursue Lu Bu!"
Was re-released as a definitive edition on PC in 2018.

#45 Sony ruined this once awesome game.
The 1st of 2 MMOs based on this popular franchise.
Star Wars Galaxies (Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser)

#44 IMO one of the best FPS games on the PS3, and WAY better than its predecessor.
You went from the defender in the first game to the invader in this one.
Killzone 2 (Guessed by S.Peelman)

#43 There were other great parts to this game, but to me the very best was all of the minigames. I just loved things like licking up sushi, splashing up and down, tossing snakes and so on.
Or hypnotising each other, hardening when rocks are fired at you, following a pink fairy's dance instructions etc.
Sword/Shield came out recently.

#42 A spin-off of #46's franchise. Came out on the PS2/Xbox 360 originally.

42. Dynasty Tactics?

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

I kind of regret not making these nice cards now. It does look cool. Maybe I'll still do something for the top 10/20.

Thanks, I did feel unsure about this year's new layout until I started posting them. I suppose with how evidently inspired by a certain game those cards are, it was expected that they'd look cool, but that they do means I got it right. I think.

S.Peelman said:
mZuzek said:

#43 - This game features a lot of headshots, but they're not the usual kind of headshot.

Pokemon Snap?

No, not even close. The headshots I'm talking about do involve guns, though the game doesn't call them that.

43. Splatoon 2?

mZuzek said:

Next one up!

#43 - This game features a lot of headshots, but they're not the usual kind of headshot.

Superhot?

Superhot is pretty amazing, especially in VR. Wish I'd remembered it before I made my list. It might have made it in there somewhere!

50. Astro Boy: Omega Factor (GBA)
guessed by supermario28

I started getting into retro gaming a few years ago and the first “new to me” game that really impressed me was Astroy Boy on the GBA.  This game was developed by Treasure and they just did everything right.  Great controls, beautiful graphics, catchy music and just a lot of pure fun in every stage.  This game needs to be played on a TV via Gameboy Player to get the full effect, and it looks even better on a CRT.  

49.  Super Mario Bros 35 (Switch)
guessed by supermario28

There are a lot more than 50 games that I really love and have spent countless hours with.  One of those games is the original Super Mario Bros.  This was one of my most played games for years back in the NES days.  It’s just that Mario 3 had improved upon the original is almost every way, and that keeps Mario 1 out of my top 50.  However, with the release of Super Mario Bros 35, I get a brand new way to enjoy an old favorite again.  The levels are the same, but the combination of attacking other players and the item roulette add a lot of new fun to an old classic.  My biggest complaint about this game is that Nintendo has stated it will only be available until March 31, 2021.  I would definitely pay money if I could permanently own some sort of physical version for this game.

48.  Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
guessed by Jpcc86

This is another classic game that I played for the first time only about a year ago.  This game is terrific, but it also gives me something of a bittersweet feeling.  On the one hand it is an extremely fun, open world, 2D action game from the PS1.  On the other hand, I have been upset for years how the game industry has gone overwhelmingly in the 3D direction, starting with the PS1 era.  This game gives me a window into what could have been if more game makers had kept with 2D.  I feel that a lot of potentially great 2D games never got made throughout the years simply because Sony and Nintendo wanted to back 3D so heavily.  At any rate, this game is perhaps the very best single player 2D action game from the PS1 or PS2 era.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 19 November 2020

Ka-pi96 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Ka-pi96 said:

#42 A spin-off of #46's franchise. Came out on the PS2/Xbox 360 originally.

42. Dynasty Tactics?

Nope, I've never actually played a Dynasty Tactics game.

You had #46's franchise right though.

Warriors Orochi?