By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts December 2022 Discussion Thread

With the way the Series lost complete momentum since the Holiday season, I think it is now cimented in my mind that it will not come close to the X360 numbers.

As for the Switch vs DS, it'd be fair to say that unless a major hiccup happens, the Switch will become the most sold console in Japan history.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

This slow down in japan for the XBSX may be because of lack of supplies. I think if Microsoft sent enough stock the XBSX can return back to 10-15k weekly (why not even more?) and outsell the 360 in the long run.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

yo33331 said:

This slow down in japan for the XBSX may be because of lack of supplies. I think if Microsoft sent enough stock the XBSX can return back to 10-15k weekly (why not even more?) and outsell the 360 in the long run.

Very hard now, they increased the price of the Xbox Series X/S starting from February 17th.

Welp, that price bump isn't going to help matters.
They probably figure since they're not selling much anyway they may as well maximise profit per unit.

Link to the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison in the US - December 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched in the US on November 10, 2020, and the PlayStation 5 on November 12, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S US:

Gap change in latest month: 406,539 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,192,082 - PS5

Total Lead: 2,259,341 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 11,964,593

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 9,705,252

December 2022 is the 26th month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.41 million units.

In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 5 has outsold Xbox Series X|S by 1.19 million units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 2.26 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 11.96 million units in the US in 26 months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 9.71 million units. The PlayStation 5 has a 55.2 percent marketshare (-+0.5% year-over-year), compared to 44.8 percent for the Xbox Series X|S (-0.5% year-over-year).

The PlayStation 5 is currently 0.57 million units behind the PlayStation 4 in the US when you align launches, while the Xbox Series X|S is behind the Xbox One by 0.74 million.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Sony are making a hard push for America recently, to the point where they're prioritising it above their traditional stronghold of Europe.
The gap was fairly close for some time, but it's rapidly growing, though perhaps that's not surprising given the increase is PS5 availability and Xbox's lacklustre 2022.

Link to the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Sales Comparison - December 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. XOne Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 663,044 - XOne

Gap change over last 12 months: 780,331 - XSX|S

Total Lead: 1,128,237 - XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 20,359,602

Xbox One Total Sales: 19,231,365

December 2022 is the 26th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox One when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.66 million units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox Series X|S has grown by 0.78 million units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 1.13 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 20.36 million units in 26 months, while the Xbox One sold 19.23 million units. Month 26 for the Xbox Series X|S is December 2022 and for the Xbox One is December 2015.

The Xbox One did not reach current Xbox Series X|S sales until month 29 when it sold 20.40 million units.

The Xbox One crossed 20 million in month 29, 30 million in month 46, and 40 million in month 61. The Xbox One has sold 51.28 million units lifetime. The Xbox Series X|S 30.92 million units behind lifetime Xbox One sales.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Very strange and interesting chart with the XBSX and XB1, this is not the ordinary predecessor - successor chart graph you will see with other consoles. During the year XBSX decently stronger, holidays - XB1 decently stronger.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

yo33331 said:

Very strange and interesting chart with the XBSX and XB1, this is not the ordinary predecessor - successor chart graph you will see with other consoles. During the year XBSX decently stronger, holidays - XB1 decently stronger.

The lack of any AAA exclusives definitely hurt the Xbox Series X|S this past holiday. The Xbox One had Halo 5 in its equivalent holiday. 

If this gen is really going to last longer, and Xbox Series get some strong exclusives along the way, then it can beat the Xbox One without any problems, since it never really took off.