By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts December 2022 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I am confident that PS5 and XS will catch up to PS4 + XBO.
They've been hampered by shortages so far, but in the long run, once supply improves, I expect them the 9th gen to sell more. This gen will probably last longer due to economic circumstances, and both systems seem more desired than their predecessors.

I agree. Xbox One has already had its peak year as sales would decline from here on out. While I expect Xbox Series X|S sales in 2023 to be better than 2022 with a much stronger first-party lineup of games. And of course PS5 should have a great year as stock has clearly improved a LOT over the last couple of months. So I expect PS5 to start closing the gap with the PS4. 

Do you expect this to be the leak year for Xbox Series or PS5?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
yo33331 said:

@curl-6 So both of the consoles are already at almost 51M with the 2022 end.

Guess you win your bet againts @The_Liquid_Laser for the 56M till end of 2023.

Nah nah nah, they will both combined sell less than 5mil this year because the Switch sold well in 2020.

I really don't get you here.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Link to the article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison - December 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 3,085,280 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,922,707 - DS

Total Lead: 9,318,676 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 120,741,508

DS Total Sales: 130,060,184

December 2022 is the 70th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 3.09 million units when compared to the DS during the same timeframe.

In the last 12 months, the DS has outsold the Switch by 3.92 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 9.32 million units.

The 70th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is December 2022, while for the DS it is August 2010. The Switch has sold 120.74 million units, while the DS sold 130.06 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 33.28 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Another 33 million seems a little out of reach I think; DS got down to like $99 which Switch never will, and existed in a market before mobile gaming became ubiquitous.

That said, just getting close to the second highest selling system of all time is an accomplistment in itself.

yo33331 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Nah nah nah, they will both combined sell less than 5mil this year because the Switch sold well in 2020.

I really don't get you here.

That's Liquid Laser's argument as to why PS5 and XBS will crater this year.

Around the Network

A few months later the Switch and DS gap will peak at about 20m and then it'll slowly decline the next few years and regardless if the DS gets passed or not it'll end up being close either way.

Norion said:

A few months later the Switch and DS gap will peak at about 20m and then it'll slowly decline the next few years and regardless if the DS gets passed or not it'll end up being close either way.

For the gap to grow to 20mil the next DS holiday quarter would need to be way bigger than it was.

Kakadu18 said:
Norion said:

For the gap to grow to 20mil the next DS holiday quarter would need to be way bigger than it was.

It's gonna reach 141m very soon though. It won't be exactly 20m but will be close to that size.

I still stand to my prediction I did last summer, I think it was ?

For 2023, Switch to finish between 12M (at lowest) and 16M (at highest) depend on if there is a pricecut or successor announcement.
With how the 2022 turned out to be (relatively weak (compared to previous ones) holiday period, and worse than most people anticipated) my prediction becomes more and more likely to become real for this year. Yes Nintendo said they will speed up the production, however it is clear that the demand is declining, and the speed of declining is now not so slow. (mainly seen in the holiday period). Keep in mind that 2022 numbers are not final yet, because 2021 numbers for example were adjusted continiously through out all of 2022 and even as soon as last month when we have them at 24.1M now (originally they were over 25.3M in january 2022). So of course I am very far from saying there will be similar adjustments with the 2022 numbers however it is not out of the question, at the start of 2024, the 2022 numbers for Switch with adjustments to be at 19M or even in the high 18s. And how the pace has gone till now - 2021 (28.2M) 2021 (24.1M) 2022 (19.3) It is number of between 4 and 5M decline year on year.

PS5 - if the stock is full all year - something between 14 and 18M.
XBSX - if stock is full all year - something between 10 and 14M.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 08 February 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Wow, DS was really impressive late in its lifecycle.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)