By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts December 2022 Discussion Thread

When it comes to the PS5 tracking well behind the Wii. The PS4 and Switch also tracked behind the Wii for many years until they eventually outsold it. The Wii was one of the fastest-selling platforms in history in its first few years.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

When it comes to the PS5 tracking well behind the Wii. The PS4 and Switch also tracked behind the Wii for many years until they eventually outsold it. The Wii was one of the fastest-selling platforms in history in its first few years.

I know, right?

I actually joined VG Chartz in the late 2000s to follow Wii sales. I never had one, but I was impressed by the motion controls and the library. I remember it selling really good, leaving the PS3 and the 360 far behind. But after some time... It seems like the hype died.

Good old 7th gen. One of my favorites.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I know, right?

I actually joined VG Chartz in the late 2000s to follow Wii sales. I never had one, but I was impressed by the motion controls and the library. I remember it selling really good, leaving the PS3 and the 360 far behind. But after some time... It seems like the hype died.

Me too.

And mine too. I think 7th gen was the strongest generation for games. There were much more games out than every other gen. And there were also way better games or at least way more good games than the other generations. If we have to count number of 100, I would put it something like this:

7th gen - 80 out 100 games were either very good or at least good that were okay for playing.

8th gen - maybe about half ot them so 50 out 100.

6th gen - 60/70 out of 100.

But even as a quantity I think there were many more games than the 8th or even 6th gen.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
trunkswd said:

I know, right?

The 7th generation was the most interesting by far. Although the last few years have been far more interesting than what we saw during the 8th generation. Though I don't think we will see any races as close as PS3 and Xbox 360 or Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. PS5 and Xbox Series X|S will be closer in sales than the PS4 and Xbox One. But the PS5 will easily win that.

What will be interesting to watch is if the Switch can top the DS and PS2 and if the Xbox Series X|S can gain enough of a lead over the Xbox 360 in the next couple of years to offset the boost the Kinect gave the 360 in its later years. And of course if PS5 can outsell PS4. I personally see the Xbox Series X|S falling a little short of the Xbox 360 (70M-80M) and PS5 selling on par or just below PS4 (105M-120M)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

yo33331 said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I know, right?

Me too.

And mine too. I think 7th gen was the strongest generation for games. There were much more games out than every other gen. And there were also way better games or at least way more good games than the other generations. If we have to count number of 100, I would put it something like this:

7th gen - 80 out 100 games were either very good or at least good that were okay for playing.

8th gen - maybe about half ot them so 50 out 100.

6th gen - 60/70 out of 100.

But even as a quantity I think there were many more games than the 8th or even 6th gen.

Going forward there will be fewer AAA games as the amount of time it takes to develop them is only growing. GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas I believe were all released over the span of like 3 years. While we are nearing 10 years since GTA5. Though, part of that is due to Rockstar spending many years working on RDR2. 

Around the Network

The 7th gen was my favourite gen to date.

The PS3 is my favourite Playstation, 360 is my favourite Xbox, and Wii's one of my top Nintendo systems behind only SNES and Switch.

All three systems were awesome and there were just so many amazing games; Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, the Bioshock trilogy, Mass Effect trilogy, Uncharted trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles, Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, Gears of War 1-3 and Judgement, Halo 3/4/Reach, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metroid Prime 3, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Monster Hunter 3... it was an incredible time to be a gamer.

Link to the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison – December 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The PlayStation 5 launched November 12, 2020 in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, and the rest of the world on November 19, 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched worldwide on November 10, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 1,216,206 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,188,867 - PS5

Total Lead: 10,106,535 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 30,467,671

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 20,361,136

December 2022 is the 26th month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.22 million units.

In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 5 has outsold the Xbox Series X|S by 4.19 million units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 10.11 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 30.47 million units in 26 months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 20.36 million units. The PlayStation 5 has a 59.9 percent marketshare (-0.7% year-over-year), compared to 40.1 percent for the Xbox Series X|S (+0.7% year-over-year).

The PlayStation 5 is currently 5.45 million units behind of the PlayStation 4 when you align launches and the Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Xbox One by 1.13 million units.

@curl-6 So both of the consoles are already at almost 51M with the 2022 end.

Guess you win your bet againts @The_Liquid_Laser for the 56M till end of 2023.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Will be interesting to see where the PS5/XS ratio goes from here. Will it return to a PS4-XBO one-sided curbstomp now that stock is no longer the deciding factor? Or can Xbox keep pace better this generation in the long run?
I'm currently leaning more towards the former. It's starting to feel like the Series S being the only console available since 2020 was the only big reason Xbox seemed more competitive this gen.

yo33331 said:

@curl-6 So both of the consoles are already at almost 51M with the 2022 end.

Guess you win your bet againts @The_Liquid_Laser for the 56M till end of 2023.

Nah nah nah, they will both combined sell less than 5mil this year because the Switch sold well in 2020.