By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January NPD 2021

Leaks

NSW - 381-389K
PS5 - 261K-267K
XBS < 158k

Official NPD

State of the market

January 2021 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories achieved a January record $4.7B, 42% higher when compared to a year ago. Gains were achieved across all spending categories.

Content

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War was January's best-selling game. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War has been the best-selling game in the U.S. each month since its November launch, and it now ranks as the 20th best-selling video game in U.S. tracked history.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla was the 2nd best-selling game of January. When comparing each title's first 3 months of sales, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla is now the 2nd fastest selling Assassin's Creed franchise release in U.S. history, trailing only Assassin's Creed III.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons ranked as January's 5th best-selling title, the first time it has ranked among the top 5 since ranking 5th in July 2020. Animal Crossing: New Horizons repeated as the month's best-selling title on Nintendo Switch.

Just Dance 2021 debuted at number 13 on the November best-sellers chart. Launch month sales of Just Dance 2021 were the second highest in franchise history. Only Just Dance 3, launched in October 2011, experienced a larger launch.

Software charts

Hardware

Sales of video game hardware were 144% higher than January 2020, reaching $319 million. This is the highest total for a January month since the $323 million achieved in January 2011

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform in units sold for the month of January. Unit sales of Nintendo Switch were the highest of any platform in a January month since the Nintendo Wii in January 2010.

PlayStation 5 was the best-selling hardware platform in dollars sold in January, with the highest dollar sales total for a January month since the Nintendo Wii in January 2009.

Accessories

Spending on video game accessories reached a January record $222 million in the month, 73 percent higher when compared to a year ago. The Gamepad, Headset/Headphone and Steering Wheel segments all achieved new January dollar sales records.

The PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller White was the best-selling accessory of January, while the PlayStation Pulse 3D Wireless Headset White was the best-selling Headset/Headphone.

Thanks to Mat Piscatella for the break down !

Archivie

2020: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovember, December
2019: JanuaryFebruary, March, April, MayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2018: 
JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2017: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2016: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2015: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2014: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2013: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2012: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2011: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2010: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2009: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2008: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2007: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember

Last edited by Ryng - on 12 March 2021

Around the Network

Alright anyone have the numbers for Wii January 2009 and 2010? Always feels like we're playing some kind of puzzle game with NPD numbers.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 12 February 2021

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

Alright anyone have the numbers for Wii January 2009 and 2010? Always feels like we're playing some kind of puzzle game with NPD numbers.

And Jan 2009. And some maths to figure out approx PS5 sales.

I see the stealth edit!

TruckOSaurus said:

Alright anyone have the numbers for Wii January 2010? Always feels like we're playing some kind of puzzle game with NPD numbers.

Ryng said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Alright anyone have the numbers for Wii January 2010? Always feels like we're playing some kind of puzzle game with NPD numbers.

So highest unit sales since Wii January 2010 would mean Switch is under 466K but higher than whatever was 2nd highest since then.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

As precited Ps5 will be breaking all records going forward as Stock stabilises.

Will be a rought few years for the Nintendo elitist on this site, 2nd in SW forever, soon enough 2nd in HW for a very long time.

2nd Place fits you well.

Enjoy it.

SilenceDeadly said:

Will be a rought few years for the Nintendo elitist on this site, 2nd in SW forever, soon enough 2nd in HW for a very long time.

2nd Place fits you well.

Enjoy it.

Yeah it's gonna be heartbreaking to see the Switch sail past PS4 hardware sales. I don't know how I'll pull through.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
SilenceDeadly said:

2nd Place fits you well.

Enjoy it.

Yeah it's gonna be heartbreaking to see the Switch sail past PS4 hardware sales. I don't know how I'll pull through.

Funny when even mods are Nintendo elitist, hasn´t changed a bit over here.

You know what is the best thing? Loving both Nintendo and Sony products, i´m glad Switch will sell so well, i´m just glad Ps5 will smash it not because i want, but because the salt it brings.

Stay SALTY. 

SilenceDeadly said:
TruckOSaurus said:

You know what is the best thing? Loving both Nintendo and Sony products, i´m glad Switch will sell so well, i´m just glad Ps5 will smash it not because i want, but because the salt it brings.

Stay SALTY. 

did some Nintendo fanboy hur your family i guess?

SilenceDeadly said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Stay SALTY. 

Pot, meet kettle.