By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January NPD 2021

UnderwaterFunktown said:
PotentHerbs said:

It looks like the PS5 and Switch are undertracked based on some of the figures posted in this thread. I wonder how long the Switch's NPD streak is going to last. Impressive record, but if it weren't for the supply issues at launch, PS5 would have broken it back in November.

Sony continues to make bank on accessories. The Dualsense and 3D Headset alone might make up for the loss on PS5 hardware lol. Great legs for Miles Morales and Demon's Souls.

A bit of a mute point since the Switch was/is also supply constrained in the US.

But it's true ofc that the PS5 (and many other consoles) could sell insane amounts at launch if supply wasn't a limiting factor.

Sure. But the PS5 would be doing it at a higher price point.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

These NPD reports are so messed up now, I feel like I'm reading tea leaves.  Where are the numbers?

The top 20 is a mess for so many reasons.  Some games include physical only.  Some include physical + digital.  Some games include PC sales and others don't.  Most third party games combine sales of all platforms, but Minecraft only lists the PS4 version.  You could randomly arrange the order of the 20 top games and it would be just as likely to be correct as what they are currently giving.

Then there are the random Piscatella lines like these:
"Unit sales of Nintendo Switch were the highest of any platform in a January month since the Nintendo Wii in January 2010."
"PlayStation 5 was the best-selling hardware platform in dollars sold in January, with the highest dollar sales total for a January month since the Nintendo Wii in January 2009."

One random fact is in unit sales and the other random fact is in dollars.  Why?  Does this actually tell us anything useful?  It's definitely not consistent.  Maybe Piscatella is trying to be a game designer himself?  He wants us to solve the mystery NPD report.  If you can figure out the actual hardware numbers, then you'll move on to stage 2 which is figuring out the software numbers.

Not sure it's random as he reports on both every single month.

Thread update with leaks
NSW - 381-389K
PS5 - 261K-267K
XBS < 158k

Ryng said:

Thread update with leaks
NSW - 381-389K
PS5 - 261K-267K
XBS < 158k

We got leaks?  I thought we just extrapolated based on closest predictions?

Was is Spiderman so high? I didn't think it performed that well, maybe it did.
Also Cyberpunk sure dropped off very quick

Around the Network

Awesome time for the industry. Does feel like the console market is way more vibrant now

Still hoping for 30mil+ for the fiscal year

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Didn't expect to see Xbox Series fall so far behind on it's home turf. Can we put that entirely down to supply?

curl-6 said:

Didn't expect to see Xbox Series fall so far behind on it's home turf. Can we put that entirely down to supply?

Yes. Unless you have notifications on or get lucky you can't just go into a store and buy one. Same goes for the PS5. Also for the Switch but to a lesser extent. 

For me one of the big stories here is Mortal Kombat 11, a two year old game, at #14. That's some Nintendo-like legs.