By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 47, 2023 (Nov 13 - Nov 19)

Hogwarts Legacy only 20k behind the PS5 launch, it's probably past half million sold in Japan included PC and digital versions

Around the Network

It seems my earlier prediction of selling between 4 and 4.2/4.3M for the year for Switch might just come true!

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Slownenberg said:

Switch looking like it will probably only hit like 4.2m at best at this point, or more likely 4.1m.

Dreams of 4.4 or 4.3 are gone at this point. Next week is the first holiday week this year so should see big increases in all systems for rest of the year. Switch needs to average 130k/week for the five holiday weeks to hit 4.2m. Seems doable. Last year it averaged 160k/week for those weeks so 130k/week this year feels about right, though it definitely could come in under that and only do 4.1m, and not having a major holiday game launching in Nov/Dec will hurt hardware sales this holiday so 4.1m is probably the most likely. Nintendo really should have planned one more big game after Mario Wonder to release directly during the holidays. Still, even though it's gonna be lower than it looked like it would be as of a couple months ago, 4.1/4.2m in year 7 in Japan is unbelievable!

Wow Super Mario RPG did amazing! 300k for physical only in Japan opening week for SMRPG! Wow. I don't know what I was expecting but that's probably about double what I would have guessed it would do. Don't know how the interest will be split between Japan and rest of the world, but you gotta figure it did easily over 1 million globally this first week which is quite impressive.

Nah, the software schedule is fine for this quarter

1st Party

Detective Pikachu Returns

Super Mario Bros. Wonder

WarioWare: Move It!

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass Wave 6 (DLC)

Super Mario RPG

Pokemon Scarlet & Violet: The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero: The Indigo Disk (DLC)

3rd Party

Jinsei Game for Nintendo Switch

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1

Fashion Dreamer

Star Ocean: The Second Story R

Momotaro Dentestu World

Hogwarts Legacy

Persona 5 Tactica

Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince

A variety of small, medium & big games from a variety of genres. I think it’s just a matter of Switch being in it’s 7th year and we have seen a trend in the last few years of Q4 sales making up a smaller percentage of overall sales.

Q4 % of annual sales

2017-50%
2018-49%
2019-44%
2020-34%
2021-31%
2022-30%

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Dissapointing Switch HW, though it should go up next week I believe as it's a 53w year.

Any chance of the PS5 reaching 5 million lifetime units this year?

Around the Network
jvmkdg said:

Any chance of the PS5 reaching 5 million lifetime units this year?

Very big. It has even shot at reaching 5.5M If some boost in sales is there for the holidays.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 23 November 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

I know that many of us were overzealous after the boost that TOTK gave Switch sales but when a new Mario game and good software sales aren't resulting in better numbers than the last 4-5 weeks, the Switch is definitely showing its saturation point in Japan. Not to knock it; 4m+ in its 7th year is phenomenal and Switch will be the biggest ever in the region, but the system's successor arriving next year is right on time.

Incredible numbers for Mario RPG, honestly didn't expect it to do THIS well.

Great opening for Super Mario RPG.