By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 47, 2023 (Nov 13 - Nov 19)

I'm quite surprised the Switch drop on the 7th year been so minimal in Japan and PS5 had a very strong improvement in sales (20:1 to Series is just depressing considering Series is much better than X1 and S is even on a form factor that should entice more Japanese owners but sells similar to X).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Hopefully this means we can get more mario rpgs.

Dang ! The software sales of both Mario RPG and Momotaro completely chartered their COMG prediction.

I wonder how the launch of the remake in Japan compares to the original.

Makes me wonder how big the launch was also for the international market. We could be looking at a 2M FW launch maybe ?

But yeah, the Switch sales ain't picking up with these kind titles. Gotta wonder how the holiday period will follow on the numbers. Great 7th year nonetheless.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Those are some great openings for Momotaro and Super Mario RPG. They don't seem to be translating into hardware sales though. That just seems weird to me. Switch hardware is still selling well, but software releases don't seem to be affecting weekly sales.

Great sales for PS5, Switch sales are disappointing. They should drop the price on all bundles across the board.

我是广州人

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Slownenberg said:

Switch looking like it will probably only hit like 4.2m at best at this point, or more likely 4.1m.

Dreams of 4.4 or 4.3 are gone at this point. Next week is the first holiday week this year so should see big increases in all systems for rest of the year. Switch needs to average 130k/week for the five holiday weeks to hit 4.2m. Seems doable. Last year it averaged 160k/week for those weeks so 130k/week this year feels about right, though it definitely could come in under that and only do 4.1m, and not having a major holiday game launching in Nov/Dec will hurt hardware sales this holiday so 4.1m is probably the most likely. Nintendo really should have planned one more big game after Mario Wonder to release directly during the holidays. Still, even though it's gonna be lower than it looked like it would be as of a couple months ago, 4.1/4.2m in year 7 in Japan is unbelievable!

Wow Super Mario RPG did amazing! 300k for physical only in Japan opening week for SMRPG! Wow. I don't know what I was expecting but that's probably about double what I would have guessed it would do. Don't know how the interest will be split between Japan and rest of the world, but you gotta figure it did easily over 1 million globally this first week which is quite impressive.

Nah, the software schedule is fine for this quarter

1st Party

Detective Pikachu Returns

Super Mario Bros. Wonder

WarioWare: Move It!

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass Wave 6 (DLC)

Super Mario RPG

Pokemon Scarlet & Violet: The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero: The Indigo Disk (DLC)

3rd Party

Jinsei Game for Nintendo Switch

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1

Fashion Dreamer

Star Ocean: The Second Story R

Momotaro Dentestu World

Hogwarts Legacy

Persona 5 Tactica

Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince

A variety of small, medium & big games from a variety of genres. I think it’s just a matter of Switch being in it’s 7th year and we have seen a trend in the last few years of Q4 sales making up a smaller percentage of overall sales.

Q4 % of annual sales

2017-50%
2018-49%
2019-44%
2020-34%
2021-31%
2022-30%

Your list proves my point. Only huge game on there is Wonder and that came out mid october, well before holiday season. Of course Switch being in its 7th year doesn't help anything, but Switch in its 6th year had holiday-level sales this week cuz Pokemon came out. This year they don't have any huge holiday game. So we should expect holiday says to drop a bit more than we would otherwise expect. During the holidays a few smaller/medium sellers in no way equal having a big blockbuster holiday game that everyone wants. Given that they didn't have a big holiday release they really should have held Wonder back for a month so it could have released last friday.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Those are some great openings for Momotaro and Super Mario RPG. They don't seem to be translating into hardware sales though. That just seems weird to me. Switch hardware is still selling well, but software releases don't seem to be affecting weekly sales.

Are there any upcoming hardware deals that might be delaying sales?

PS5 mostly made up for the few weeks of bad stock but the price increase should hurt things at least some going forward. Switch is looking like it's gonna do better in May than November this year which is interesting.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I don't think sales were as "frontloaded" back in the day and Switch have more success on same IPs for almost everything plus userbase is likely bigger even on Japan (won't bother to check =p ) so I do expect both to be quite above the originals.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Momotaro has been one of the breakout hits of the generation in Japan, outselling even some big first party Nintendo games, and the new one seems to be continuing the trend. 

Also, Mario Wonder joins the million sellers in Japan club.

XtremeBG said:

It seems my earlier prediction of selling between 4 and 4.2/4.3M for the year for Switch might just come true!

I seem to remember you also predicted 3.5 million early in the year, which we're passed now, but to be fair, the Switch moves in mysterious ways and has proven remarkably tricky to predict.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 November 2023