By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 47, 2023 (Nov 13 - Nov 19)

curl-6 said:

Momotaro has been one of the breakout hits of the generation in Japan, outselling even some big first party Nintendo games, and the new one seems to be continuing the trend. 

Also, Mario Wonder joins the million sellers in Japan club.

I seem to remember you also predicted 3.5 million early in the year, which we're passed now, but to be fair, the Switch moves in mysterious ways and has proven remarkably tricky to predict.

I predicted 3.5M in late last year, when this year didn't even started.

Once we get to around spring maybe, and we all were blown out of the Switch stronger than normal start for it's 7th year in japan, many people changed their predictions, including me. So I refer to this one.

I also remeber you predicting it above 4.5M to 4.7M/4.8M if I am not mistaken. And if Switch don't get big holiday boost in the sort of 200k weekly, I can't see it reaching that.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 24 November 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
zorg1000 said:

Nah, the software schedule is fine for this quarter

1st Party

Detective Pikachu Returns

Super Mario Bros. Wonder

WarioWare: Move It!

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass Wave 6 (DLC)

Super Mario RPG

Pokemon Scarlet & Violet: The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero: The Indigo Disk (DLC)

3rd Party

Jinsei Game for Nintendo Switch

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1

Fashion Dreamer

Star Ocean: The Second Story R

Momotaro Dentestu World

Hogwarts Legacy

Persona 5 Tactica

Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince

A variety of small, medium & big games from a variety of genres. I think it’s just a matter of Switch being in it’s 7th year and we have seen a trend in the last few years of Q4 sales making up a smaller percentage of overall sales.

Q4 % of annual sales

2017-50%
2018-49%
2019-44%
2020-34%
2021-31%
2022-30%

Your list proves my point. Only huge game on there is Wonder and that came out mid october, well before holiday season. Of course Switch being in its 7th year doesn't help anything, but Switch in its 6th year had holiday-level sales this week cuz Pokemon came out. This year they don't have any huge holiday game. So we should expect holiday says to drop a bit more than we would otherwise expect. During the holidays a few smaller/medium sellers in no way equal having a big blockbuster holiday game that everyone wants. Given that they didn't have a big holiday release they really should have held Wonder back for a month so it could have released last friday.

Dragon Quest Monsters series is pretty huge, hasn’t just about every entry done 1+ million in Japan?

Regardless, I’m not sure why you think shifting Mario Wonder back a few weeks would do anything significant. Let’s say they switched the release dates of Mario Wonder & Mario RPG, then what? October sales would be lower and November sales higher, big deal.

Also, look back at what I said about Q4 sales, this entire generation has seen a steady decline in the percentage of annual sales coming in Q4.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

XtremeBG said:
curl-6 said:

Momotaro has been one of the breakout hits of the generation in Japan, outselling even some big first party Nintendo games, and the new one seems to be continuing the trend. 

Also, Mario Wonder joins the million sellers in Japan club.

I seem to remember you also predicted 3.5 million early in the year, which we're passed now, but to be fair, the Switch moves in mysterious ways and has proven remarkably tricky to predict.

I predicted 3.5M in late last year, when this year didn't even started.

Once we get to around spring maybe, and we all were blown out of the Switch stronger than normal start for it's 7th year in japan, many people changed their predictions, including me. So I refer to this one.

I also remeber you predicting it above 4.5M to 4.7M/4.8M if I am not mistaken. And if Switch don't get big holiday boost in the sort of 200k weekly, I can't see it reaching that.

I think I said 4.5 was possible earlier in the year; don't think so any more, though if it can pass 4m that'd still be something considering that this point it must be nearing saturation.

People saying Switch sales disappointing lmao

65K is great !

The switch is likely hit the point where everyone who wants a switch likely already owns one at this point

Nothing short of Pokémon gen 10 would make sales spike.
I think this is the last year of "amazing" switch sales
Next year I think ps5 will start outselling it consistently and will be the number one dedicated gaming device until the switch 2 launches

Around the Network

Good opening for Hogwarts Legacy on Switch considering it's 9 months late; wouldn't be surprised if globally it's another third party million seller for Switch.

wow nintendo is still a powerhouse in the land of the rising sun

BiON!@ 

curl-6 said:

Good opening for Hogwarts Legacy on Switch considering it's 9 months late; wouldn't be surprised if globally it's another third party million seller for Switch.

We have seem plenty examples of late port not really being affected. A lot of timed exclusives on Xbox done much better on PS when they released there over a year later (but as I remember they usually were game of the year editions), but we also saw the PC ports of PS games that were like less than 1/5 of PS sales. I would say it all depend on the overlap of the userbase, if your title release much later on another platform that have a big overlap sales will take a big hit in comparison (but if launched simultaneously probably the total would still be the same and only split would change). So I'm not truly surprised Hogwarts done a good opening on Switch, it is a very nice game from a recognizeable IP and even with all the sacrifices on Switch it isn't that out of place.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

We have seem plenty examples of late port not really being affected. A lot of timed exclusives on Xbox done much better on PS when they released there over a year later (but as I remember they usually were game of the year editions), but we also saw the PC ports of PS games that were like less than 1/5 of PS sales. I would say it all depend on the overlap of the userbase, if your title release much later on another platform that have a big overlap sales will take a big hit in comparison (but if launched simultaneously probably the total would still be the same and only split would change). So I'm not truly surprised Hogwarts done a good opening on Switch, it is a very nice game from a recognizeable IP and even with all the sacrifices on Switch it isn't that out of place.

I'm not surprised either, I expected it to do well, all I meant was that these are good numbers and that its important to bear in mind their context.

Switch sales almost the same as the previous week suggests stock allocation rather than dried up demand.