By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Shawn Layden: PSP manufacturing final number is 82.5MM+ units.

It seems that Shawn Layden has confirmed the final manufacturing number for the PSP is 82.5MM+ 

Will that affect the PSP number here in VGC??

Around the Network

My second most favorite handheld system.

Damn what a journey.

Those numbers would put it above the GBA on this site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Nice! PSP.. now only the PS2 left to be confirmed ..

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

My favorite handheld. So many good games (+PS1 games). It didn't beat the DS but I think it's still one of the most successful handhelds out there.

Around the Network

Over 6 million more than the final count on Sony's own Sales & Data reporting page! I was just saying to Trunks, I wish Sony would update all of their 'More than' figures with the final tallies, to remove any doubt; most of them are a fair bit higher (e.g. PS2 is minimum 158.7 million - and probably a little bit higher than that - but it's only listed as 155 million on that page).

Yes OP, I'm sure we'll update the figure. We need to add 1,729,730 - the tough part is knowing which years and countries to add to, so it may take a little while. Looking at the point when Brett stopped tracking PSP, it was the year of production ceasing according to this Laydan Tweet, which will have been too early in hindsight, so that and Sony's financial reports will help Trunks a bit.

PSP was such a good machine killed by lack of support and their proprietary memory cards and umd disk

dane007 said:

PSP was such a good machine killed by lack of support and their proprietary memory cards and umd disk

PSP didnt have the proprietary memory cards - that was the Vita.

PSP had better first party support than the Vita too technically.

UMD Disk I agree was a bad idea.

dane007 said:

Killed with 82 million copies sold? Or have you mistaken it with Vita?

If the PSP is a little higher than expected, does that make the PS Vita a little lower? I know they were combining PSP and PS Vita shipments for a bit.