By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Shawn Layden: PSP manufacturing final number is 82.5MM+ units.

GBA, PSP and the 3DS all done very well but not amazing.

Around the Network

The sales figures on VGC have now been updated. In a way it was made easier by the fact that Brett simply stopped tracking the platform too early (Aug 2014); most of the increase is in 2014, and then a lesser amount in 2015 and 2016. Only a few adjustments were made outside of those years, based on the financial data from Sony and some other sales reports we found. But still, it was very time consuming - Will spent a lot of hours the last few days going through and manually making the adjustments by individual weeks and countries. 

Here are the increases by country/region to the nearest 1,000:

• UK - 71,000
  • France - 87,000
  • Germany - 64,000
  • Spain - 86,000
  • Italy - 71,000
  • Nordic - 32,000
  • Benelux - 14,000
  • Rest of Europe - 416,000
  • Japan - 9,000
  • Rest of Asia - 459,000
  • USA - 192,000
  • Canada - 22,000
  • Latin America - 23,000
  • Oceania - 25,000
  • MEA - 83,000

It's very impressive and good to know. It may not have had as many of the casual games push it's sales but what was there and the great gamer audience titles were great fun, many series and quality on the go yes please (like 1 language coach game than the many on DS, or many other educational games or the Imagine series or whatever that DS had more of a smartphone app but earlier appeal to it for most people I assume besides the first/third party experience that were good in their own way, had a few Brain Age type games and more than on PSP (a few do exist) but not as much focus because it's audience was teens/adults and kids used to PS households).

I didn't even realise the 2014 end of production date compared to other consoles production dates, eshops and more I'm more familiar with of recent cut off.

Also Memory Stick Duo memory cards were proprietary, only Sony cameras and other devices besides PSP which people seem to forget. 1GB and so on cards were apparently expensive (I forget the prices). So while SD Cards, Micro or SD IO slots (would have been nice but GBA slot is good enough on DS or the USB Mini slot for the PSP for the camera/GPS) may have existed (on PDAs and such and Sony also made Pocket PCs which those sort of devices faded away from 2007 I think since tablets/smartphones had more traction).

I used my PSP far more than my DS due to what's offered. I may not have used it for videos or had the software to convert them (used a phone or Vita for videos instead) but music was good enough to listen to on PSP.

UMD made sense for the time as carts were too small. Also movies on the go was nice, the prices and less features is not but still. I got to UMD Movies only a few years ago for the first time so that was magical just as much as getting a PSP 2000 and using the Component cable to play games/watch the UMD movies on my TV. Wish fulfilled. :)

Also first post.

Bumblaster said:

GBA, PSP and the 3DS all done very well but not amazing.

I disagree about GBA & PSP.

Look at how quickly GBA was replaced by DS, it sold that 80+ million incredibly fast and if Nintendo waited until 2006 or 2007 to release a successor than it very likely would have sold 100+ million.

As for PSP, how much did other non-Nintendo handheld console sell? Atari Lynx, Sega GameGear, TurboExpress, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket, WonderSwan, Nokia N-Gage, PS Vita etc. I’m pretty sure PSP outsold every other Nintendo competitor combined.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

I disagree about GBA & PSP.

Look at how quickly GBA was replaced by DS, it sold that 80+ million incredibly fast and if Nintendo waited until 2006 or 2007 to release a successor than it very likely would have sold 100+ million.

As for PSP, how much did other non-Nintendo handheld console sell? Atari Lynx, Sega GameGear, TurboExpress, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket, WonderSwan, Nokia N-Gage, PS Vita etc. I’m pretty sure PSP outsold every other Nintendo competitor combined.

Hundred percent this. GBA is one of the fastest selling consoles of all time. It sold WAY faster than the Game Boy did, and was regularly outselling the PS2. Problem is GBA released in 2001 and the DS released just three and a half years later in 2004. 

I agree with PSP too. The PSP was the first time Nintendo ever had any actual competition. The Game Gear, Wonderswan, Atari Lynx, NGage, Nomad, and Tiger Game.com managed to sell about 22M combined. Which means that PSP not only outsold all of its competitors combined, but sold almost four times all of Nintendos prior competitors combined. The only thing not very successful about the PSP was it's software sales in comparison.