Forums - Sales Discussion - August NPD 2021

Leaks:

Switch < 348k
PS5 >292k
XBS < 199k

NPD numbers:

Archivie

2021: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJune, July
2020: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2019: JanuaryFebruary, March, April, MayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2018: 
JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2017: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2016: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2015: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2014: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2013: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2012: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2011: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2010: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2009: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2008: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2007: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember

Last edited by Ryng - on 23 September 2021

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
trunkswd said:

That is a shame. It will make it harder for our estimates to be more accurate. A shame the gaming industry isn't like the movie industry with daily and weekly numbers. 

I still don't get why the NPD has gotten increasingly more secretive over the years. During most of Gen 6 we got not only hardware but also a lot of software sales. Then around 2005-ish they started drawing back the software data, limiting it to just Top 10. Then around 2010 they stopped divulging software entirely, leaving it to leakers. Then they stopped with hardware early last gen, with some on-and-off restarts in a semi-official capacity. Now they've apparently completely cracked down on all leakers. Essentially, aside from Famitsu's Japan numbers (which completely lacks digital SW sales) there is no regularly-published weekly or monthly sales numbers coming in anymore from anywhere.

This is why I've long said that we need some real alternative to NPD. Maybe VGC could start some sort of crowd-funding effort to where they can expand their ability to gather data from retailers. Or maybe someone could convince Famitsu to start up a U.S. sales tracking branch.

This is just speculation on my part, but I think some game companies pressured NPD to stop making numbers public. Who wants to have to put out a press release every month trying to spin why they are successful even though Console A sold more than Console C? Every month they would have to see dozens of articles comparing sales to competitors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Shadow1980 said:
Signalstar said:

This is just speculation on my part, but I think some game companies pressured NPD to stop making numbers public. Who wants to have to put out a press release every month trying to spin why they are successful even though Console A sold more than Console C? Every month they would have to see dozens of articles comparing sales to competitors.

If that is the case, then it's something unique to the gaming sector. You don't see this with movies or music. For example, while we don't get actual admissions for films (though we can make close estimates based on average ticket prices), we do get daily grosses for every single film released in theaters, regardless of whether it's a success, a bomb, or anything in between. You never see Disney, WB, Universal, etc., try to get box office figures covered up. Meanwhile, the only thing we get from the NPD Group anymore is total industry-wide hardware & software grosses, with vague "This system was #1" comments and a context-free ranking of individual games. The gaming industry has a serious issue with transparency, or rather lack thereof.

Not necessarily true...

As someone who works in the film industry and follows it closely, some distributors choose not to reveal box office numbers for their films.

Case in point is Netflix. They never reveal the gross of their films that they release in theaters, even if they launch in theaters before appearing on Netflix.

Amazon is pretty much the same way too. They rather control the narrative of their film performance. That is why they release only selective and vague data about how much of their audience streams their movies as well. That data is a precious commodity and they see it as more valuable if it is kept private rather than shared publicly or with competitors.

Searchlight Pictures (owned by Disney) didn't reveal the weekend grosses for Nomadland, the film that won best picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I am 100% sure there is more than a 50% chance total console sales will amount to more than 1 less but than 200,000,000.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

[NSW] 400K
[PS5] 320K
[XBS] 180K

In UK.August seems to have been bigger in terms of drops for PS5.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Drin

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 14 September 2021

Around the Network

Looks like Psychonauts 2 bombed overall.

Blood_Tears said:

Can digital only games even rank on these?

then again, bombing in Psychonauts 2 case means not many playing it on game pass. 

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/450651/switch-best-selling-console-in-august-amp-ytd-in-us-madden-tops-software-charts/

Jumpin said:

I am 100% sure there is more than a 50% chance total console sales will amount to more than 1 less but than 200,000,000.

Great insight. I really do feel you deserve Michale Pachter's job because your analyses are far more accurate and far more needed in this time of the video game industry. Pachter's time is long gone and we seriously need someone to talk his place. That job is the list important in the video games industry afterall

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

InkIt said:
Blood_Tears said:

Can digital only games even rank on these?

then again, bombing in Psychonauts 2 case means not many playing it on game pass. 

Yes, Matt Piscatella confirmed on Twitter that it was tracked and did not sell enough to chart.