By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August NPD 2021

[NSW] 400K
[PS5] 320K
[XBS] 180K

In UK.August seems to have been bigger in terms of drops for PS5.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Drin

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 14 September 2021

My prediction in 2021.

SW: 30m

PS5 16m

XBS: 7.5m

Around the Network

Results up and available to read at the usual places.

Hardware revenue up by less than 2%. Essentially flat. I wonder if this means the actual unit sales is about flat as well, or if the split shifted a good bit but revenue just remained flat out of pure coincidence.

However, the PS5 did finally surpass the Switch in YTD revenue. Assuming their average retail price has been $475 for the PS5 and $270 for the Switch, that implies a roughly 1.76-to-1 ratio in sales, though obviously there is a margin of error here. If the PS5 has sold about 2300k YTD, at $475 that would be a bit over $1.09B, so if the Switch averages $270/unit, it would have sold no more than 4046k. Pretty close to the best-guess figures at Era.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Looks like Psychonauts 2 bombed overall.

Blood_Tears said:

Can digital only games even rank on these?

then again, bombing in Psychonauts 2 case means not many playing it on game pass. 

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/450651/switch-best-selling-console-in-august-amp-ytd-in-us-madden-tops-software-charts/

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Around the Network

Psychonauts 2 bombed harder than anything I can think of in recent memory. Couldn't even make the top 10 on Xbox which is a VERY low bar. I hope word of mouth can carry it to decent lifetime sales. It's one of these games you knew were going to be good just by checking out their trailers.

Sony is in for their best generation. PS5 will leave PS4 in the dust thanks to the strong momentum and the superior 1st party lineup. Switch will probably continue leading in sales until February.

Jumpin said:

I am 100% sure there is more than a 50% chance total console sales will amount to more than 1 less but than 200,000,000.

Great insight. I really do feel you deserve Michale Pachter's job because your analyses are far more accurate and far more needed in this time of the video game industry. Pachter's time is long gone and we seriously need someone to talk his place. That job is the list important in the video games industry afterall

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

InkIt said:
Blood_Tears said:

then again, bombing in Psychonauts 2 case means not many playing it on game pass. 

Yes, Matt Piscatella confirmed on Twitter that it was tracked and did not sell enough to chart. 

It's nice to see Monster Hunter Rise #2 on Switch and #8 overall YTD. Well deserved, it's an amazing game.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Blood_Tears said:
InkIt said:

Yes, Matt Piscatella confirmed on Twitter that it was tracked and did not sell enough to chart. 

Considering there's almost 70k players on TA alone.. I'd say it did exactly what MS wanted from it, game pass engagement.