By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday Sales - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 20-26

trunkswd said:

Just a heads up for everyone. It is very unlikely I will post the next hardware charts this week. If the Europe November data comes out I will adjust those figures. I've just been dealing with a lot of stress and need a bit of a break from the hate I've been dealing with mainly over on Twitter with our estimates. 

I do plan on posting all the daily news and official weekly software charts as usual this week. And monthly sales comparison articles for November. 

Looks like the toxic xbox fans took the numbers as gospel and now the toxic playstation fans are on your ass, twitter is truly the worst place for gaming I swear, so many unhinged fans on all sides. All over a what? 13% error?

Your work is appreciated, hope you feel better soon.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Just a heads up for everyone. It is very unlikely I will post the next hardware charts this week. If the Europe November data comes out I will adjust those figures. I've just been dealing with a lot of stress and need a bit of a break from the hate I've been dealing with mainly over on Twitter with our estimates. 

I do plan on posting all the daily news and official weekly software charts as usual this week. And monthly sales comparison articles for November. 

Twitter is a shithole. Spending as little time looking at posts on there as possible does wonders for mental health.

Yeah Twitter is a cesspool all around, the world was made a worse place when that was invented. I don't blame you for getting fed up with that. Thanks for the work, and we can wait.

@trunkswd We appreciate your hardwork! It's one of the reasons I visit this great site daily! Definitely take some time off if you need it. Your mental health is more important.

Just so you know, it’s not just you on Twitter. Virtually every fandom is full of these self-righteous and self-entitled jackoffs... or “True Fans” as they like to be called.

Twitter is great in theory: creators can have a dialogue with their fans and consumers. I think that’s why so many creators stick around on it. Unfortunately, the reality is that it’s the perfect environment for these shitty pessimistic people who move in just to let these creators know that they’re outraged about something they’re doing. And then when those posts get the attention (because people are obsessed with outage) other people want to join in, and they all pat each other on the back over it. That’s what Twitter actually is—that’s the reality that creators on it try to live with.

I remember back in the day, when the Internet was more sectioned off, you’d find 1 or 2 of these types in a community of dozens to a few hundred, constantly spewing off their pessimistic nonsense, like creators have somehow victimized them by daring to create something. Back then, these sorts looked just like the lunatic fringe. With Twitter, it’s like every Comic Book Guy in the world formed into much larger armies to spread their shittiness—flinging shit at people who actually add to society. Instead of looking like the lunatic fringe, these people look like the mainstream, and because most people just don’t want to deal with this shit, there aren’t a lot of positive voices to make it seem otherwise. It seems to happen in many large communities: Twitter is just another platform that’s come to be full of these over-dramatic pessimists—just like 4Chan a decade or two ago.

Sometimes I wonder that if Elon Musk takes out Twitter, that it might be the best thing to happen to the Internet in years. Because that way the content creators (of all sorts) will be forced to end subjecting themselves to the shittiness of Twitter.

I think you’ll find the majority of people love your hard work, and we understand the process.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 12 December 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
trunkswd said:

Thank you. It used to not get to me, but I guess after so long it has really been giving me stress lately that has only gotten worse. We are looking at ways at helping with my stress and improving the initial estimates we post at the same time, so less adjustments would be needed. But it would mean the estimates would get posted later than they do now. 

is there some way to get others to chip in and help to do it on twitter  or just drop it on here.

Frank_kc said:
trunkswd said:

Thank you for all the effots you put into this website. Your efforts are really appreicated. It is good to take a break. It is common to find people who doesnt agree with the numbers (sometimes myself), but I do believe that you take all the time and efforts to try to get it as close as possible.

Enjoy your break. :)

ice said:
trunkswd said:

Looks like the toxic xbox fans took the numbers as gospel and now the toxic playstation fans are on your ass, twitter is truly the worst place for gaming I swear, so many unhinged fans on all sides. All over a what? 13% error?

Your work is appreciated, hope you feel better soon.

Norion said:
trunkswd said:

Twitter is a shithole. Spending as little time looking at posts on there as possible does wonders for mental health.

S.Peelman said:

Yeah Twitter is a cesspool all around, the world was made a worse place when that was invented. I don't blame you for getting fed up with that. Thanks for the work, and we can wait.

Torpoleon said:

@trunkswd We appreciate your hardwork! It's one of the reasons I visit this great site daily! Definitely take some time off if you need it. Your mental health is more important.

Jumpin said:

Just so you know, it’s not just you on Twitter. Virtually every fandom is full of these self-righteous and self-entitled jackoffs... or “True Fans” as they like to be called.

Twitter is great in theory: creators can have a dialogue with their fans and consumers. I think that’s why so many creators stick around on it. Unfortunately, the reality is that it’s the perfect environment for these shitty pessimistic people who move in just to let these creators know that they’re outraged about something they’re doing. And then when those posts get the attention (because people are obsessed with outage) other people want to join in, and they all pat each other on the back over it. That’s what Twitter actually is—that’s the reality that creators on it try to live with.

I remember back in the day, when the Internet was more sectioned off, you’d find 1 or 2 of these types in a community of dozens to a few hundred, constantly spewing off their pessimistic nonsense, like creators have somehow victimized them by daring to create something. Back then, these sorts looked just like the lunatic fringe. With Twitter, it’s like every Comic Book Guy in the world formed into much larger armies to spread their shittiness—flinging shit at people who actually add to society. Instead of looking like the lunatic fringe, these people look like the mainstream, and because most people just don’t want to deal with this shit, there aren’t a lot of positive voices to make it seem otherwise. It seems to happen in many large communities: Twitter is just another platform that’s come to be full of these over-dramatic pessimists—just like 4Chan a decade or two ago.

Sometimes I wonder that if Elon Musk takes out Twitter, that it might be the best thing to happen to the Internet in years. Because that way the content creators (of all sorts) will be forced to end subjecting themselves to the shittiness of Twitter.

I think you’ll find the majority of people love your hard work, and we understand the process.

Thank you all! I really do appreciate it your kind words or just calling out Twitter for the cesspool it really is. I guess going forward I shouldn't bother being so open about adjustments over on Twitter. Just not worth it. The amount of crap was really overwhelming that I had trouble sleeping over the weekend. This is the first time I've dealt with the worst of Twitter at its full force. 

BTW as I stated I am still going to write up the daily news and weekly software charts as those don't cause me stress. They just take time to do. And if anyone is wondering, yes I am probably as sick hearing about the Activision Blizzard deal as most of you, but they bring in good views and usually get a lot of comments. 

It is a lot of work to do the estimates every week. And we are coming up with ideas to help with that so I can take more time to myself and take care of my health, and deal with less burn out. But they would all mean the estimates would be much later.

Option 1 - Wait until all the monthly reports are out before doing any estimates for the month and post the 4 or 5 weeks over say 2 weeks. So it would be 2 really busy weeks of posting the estimates. But then 2 or 3 weeks off from having to work on them. Unless the quarterly reports come out during that time.

Option 2 - Delay them a couple of weeks, so when the monthly reports come out we only have the first 2 weeks of a month out, then I post the rest of the weeks over the course of 2 weeks. Then I have a week, maybe 2 where I don't have worry about it. Though this option would mean those first 2 weeks would be less accurate and I would still have to adjust them. 

Option 3 - This would require the most work especially for Bandorr to get set up, which he is willing to do (Thank you Bandorr!!). Switch from weekly estimates to monthly estimates. Now I wouldn't wait until ALL the monthly reports are available. But as each one comes in I post the data for that specific region. Ie. when all the Japan data (Famitsu) is in I post that data. When the US data (mainly NPD) is out I would post the Americas estimates for the US, Canada, and Latin America for the month. When the UK and Europe monthly reports on GamesIndustry are out I post the Europe estimates for the month. Once all are done have the worldwide estimates for everything added up posted. 

MORE from option 3 - Now with this option it would help with my stress a lot more than the other 2 would. One thing I would do to help make sure we still have the same amount of sales articles as before: The worldwide hardware breakdown I do right now and the other 2 weekly sales articles, I would do one for each country/region - Japan, US (Or North America? Or all of Americas?), Europe, and worldwide. So the number of sales articles would remain the same. And yes the monthly sales comparison articles would remain the same as before.

Option 1 and 3 would mean the initial estimates would be more accurate (YAY!!). Not 100%, because as you know NPD doesn't provide any exact figures, but gives us enough of an idea to be closer than we were before. The UK monthly report provides enough clues that we can be within a few percent of the actual sales. And the Europe report is almost as good as the UK one, though this report does not include hardware figures for the UK (which is fine a we have the UK report anyway), Germany (big ouch, but we know it is the 2nd biggest gaming market in Europe), and some smaller countries in Eastern Europe. Places like Asia and MEA are the hardest for us to get much data in. So those will always be the least accurate. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 12 December 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Thank you all! I really do appreciate it your kind words or just calling out Twitter for the cesspool it really is. I guess going forward I shouldn't bother being so open about adjustments over on Twitter. Just not worth it. The amount of crap was really overwhelming that I had trouble sleeping over the weekend. This is the first time I've dealt with the worst of Twitter at its full force. 

BTW as I stated I am still going to write up the daily news and weekly software charts as those don't cause me stress. They just take time to do. And if anyone is wondering, yes I am probably as sick hearing about the Activision Blizzard deal as most of you, but they bring in good views and usually get a lot of comments. 

It is a lot of work to do the estimates every week. And we are coming up with ideas to help with that so I can take more time to myself and take care of my health, and deal with less burn out. But they would all mean the estimates would be much later.

Option 1 - Wait until all the monthly reports are out before doing any estimates for the month and post the 4 or 5 weeks over say 2 weeks. So it would be 2 really busy weeks of posting the estimates. But then 2 or 3 weeks off from having to work on them. Unless the quarterly reports come out during that time.

Option 2 - Delay them a couple of weeks, so when the monthly reports come out we only have the first 2 weeks of a month out, then I post the rest of the weeks over the course of 2 weeks. Then I have a week, maybe 2 where I don't have worry about it. Though this option would mean those first 2 weeks would be less accurate and I would still have to adjust them. 

Option 3 - This would require the most work especially for Bandorr to get set up, which he is willing to do (Thank you Bandorr!!). Switch from weekly estimates to monthly estimates. Now I wouldn't wait until ALL the monthly reports are available. But as each one comes in I post the data for that specific region. Ie. when all the Japan data (Famitsu) is in I post that data. When the US data (mainly NPD) is out I would post the Americas estimates for the US, Canada, and Latin America for the month. When the UK and Europe monthly reports on GamesIndustry are out I post the Europe estimates for the month. Once all are done have the worldwide estimates for everything added up posted. 

MORE from option 3 - Now with this option it would help with my stress a lot more than the other 2 would. One thing I would do to help make sure we still have the same amount of sales articles as before: The worldwide hardware breakdown I do right now and the other 2 weekly sales articles, I would do one for each country/region - Japan, US (Or North America? Or all of Americas?), Europe, and worldwide. So the number of sales articles would remain the same. And yes the monthly sales comparison articles would remain the same as before.

Option 1 and 3 would mean the initial estimates would be more accurate (YAY!!). Not 100%, because as you know NPD doesn't provide any exact figures, but gives us enough of an idea to be closer than we were before. The UK monthly report provides enough clues that we can be within a few percent of the actual sales. And the Europe report is almost as good as the UK one, though this report does not include hardware figures for the UK (which is fine a we have the UK report anyway), Germany (big ouch, but we know it is the 2nd biggest gaming market in Europe), and some smaller countries in Eastern Europe. Places like Asia and MEA are the hardest for us to get much data in. So those will always be the least accurate. 

And option 4 just continue as it is now. No one will blame you about adjusting numbers or hate you on here. Stop do anything on twitter if it have to.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown  /  YOY Charts

yo33331 said:

And option 4 just continue as it is now. No one will blame you about adjusting numbers or hate you on here. Stop do anything on twitter if it have to.

That option really isn't viable. I had already been dealing with burn out before the crap over on Twitter on Friday that was just the final straw that tipped me over the edge to realize a change needs to happen for my own mental health. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Option 2 sounds the least productive or effective regarding both the stress and the sales accuracy so I would say forget that one.

Personally, I'd probably prefer option 1 the most but I'm sure that once we got used to the monthly set-up, option 3 would be fine as well.

Either way, your work is much appreciated, trunks.  Always.

relatórios mensais em vez de semanais seriam mais precisos, mas levaria muito tempo e o site ficaria muitas semanas sem atualização. Eu só queria que a Microsoft lançasse os relatórios trimestrais como nintendo e sony, mas parece que isso não vai acontecer.