By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday Sales - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 20-26

SKMBlake said:

4.5 million until reaching 20 million, I wonder if it will reach that number by the end of the year

December 2021 we have Switch at 4.88 million. There is somewhat of a chance it can do it. It will likely be close either way. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

VGChartz November 2022 US estimates BEFORE adjustments:

1. XS: 1.25M
  2. PS5: 1.14M
  3. NS: 1.05M

VGChartz November 2022 US estimates AFTER adjustments:

1. PS5: 1.14M
  2. NS: 1.09M
  3. XS: 1.08M

PS5 remains the same, NS adjusted up, and XS adjusted down.

So PS5 was not undertracked, and the Switch was not overtracked, no matter how much people always insist they are.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

So PS5 was not undertracked, and the Switch was not overtracked, no matter how much people always insist they are.

Yeah pretty much. What I am seeing is that we had the order wrong rather than how much each console is off. The PS5 remains the same as before, NS adjusted up 3.8%, and XS adjusted down 13.6%. XS is further off than I would like, but people are acting off we had it WAY off. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Mandalore76 said:
yo33331 said:

They will. Last year original numbers when the weekly data came out were:

Switch: over 1.6M

PS5: over 800k

XBSX: over 850k

After half a year and numerous adjustments overtime they got to a total final of:

Switch: over 1.4M

PS5: 350k

XBSX: over 600k

So Switch got cut by 200k, PS5 by a whopping almost 500k and XBSX by decent ~ 250k. So this black friday week (as the last year's one) will probably get its final numbers by sometime of summer 2023, and close to the final ones by april/may 2023 (when the quorter report comes out). I think PS5 500k adjustment this year would be too big. However like the Switch and XBSX last year adjustments were around 200-250k I expect this year to be about the same. So I would't be surprised if by april/may or even the summer the black friday numbers you all see now are something like this:

Switch: 1.1M to 1.2M

XBSX: 1M to 1.1M

PS5: 800k to 900k

Other than that, yes, very good numbers indeed. Finally week with all three over 1M(which I think won't be the case after adjustments, but still).

VGChartz overtracked PS5 more than double the Switch or XBox Series that week last year?  That doesn't match up with the conspiracy theory that VGChartz purposely undertracks the PS5 for the sole purpose of making Sony look bad.

That's a rare instance though. It's much more frequent that VGC undertracks Playstation and overtracks Switch/Xbox, and yet part of the community forgets every time and takes the estimates at face value. It's not necessarily out of bias or expectations (that Xbox is more competitive this gen and therefore it's expected to eat at Playstation's marketshare), but there may be some things wrong with the extrapolation methods that need to be tweaked.

VGC's estimates for Xbox Series consoles even following the adjustments remain high when compared to other trackers like MediaCreate and AmpereAnalysis. All trackers are prone to miscaluclations since MS doesn't share meaningful data, but VGC tends to be optimistic about Xbox/Switch and pessimistic about PS, especially more recently. Again, bias isn't necessarily the reason. As a matter of fact, I'm 100% sure bias has nothing to do with it as the team responsible for tracking are neutral and awesome, but expectations probably do (Xbox eating marketshare, the unstoppable Switch, PS5 supply situation, etc).

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

These are still estimates aren't they? Let's wait for the adjustments following the quarterly reports.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
curl-6 said:

These are still estimates aren't they? Let's wait for the adjustments following the quarterly reports.

I mean, the numbers will always be estimates; even after the reports, VGC still has to guesstimate how much sold in each week or region, how much was on shelves or transit vs sold through, etc.

All I'm saying is, it's not always a case of "PS5 undertracked Switch overtracked".

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 December 2022

curl-6 said:
Kyuu said:

I mean, the numbers will always be estimates; even after the reports, VGC still has to guesstimate how much sold in each week or region, how much was on shelves or transit vs sold through, etc.

All I'm saying is, it's not always a case of "PS5 undertracked Switch overtracked" despite some insisting every single week that it is.

And what I'm saying is that without quarterly reports, VGC's weekly estimates are much weaker. NPD rankings can still be adjusted around in ways that favor Switch and Xbox.

Yeah it's certainly not "always" the case but there is a clear pattern. Personally, I just can't ignore Sony's insistence and confidence that they're producing a crap ton of PS5's for this quarter and the next.

Kyuu said:
curl-6 said:

All I'm saying is, it's not always a case of "PS5 undertracked Switch overtracked" despite some insisting every single week that it is.

And what I'm saying is that without quarterly reports, VGC's weekly estimates are much weaker. NPD rankings can still be adjusted around in ways that favor Switch and Xbox.

Yeah it's certainly not "always" the case but there is a clear pattern. Personally, I just can't ignore Sony's insistence and confidence that they're producing a crap ton of PS5's for this quarter and the next.

I agree we should always strive to improve the methodology and prediction methods based on past patterns. My only claim was that it's not always a case of x overtracked and y undertracked, that it's more nuanced than that.

Recently we do tend to see certain patterns recur more often, yeah, and that should absolutely be looked into and the formula subsequently tweaked.

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

Yeah you were a bit too much enthusiastic about the Xbox

It’s like they don’t get it. No offense.

They still have Xbox selling more than PS5 black friday week. That weekend is the biggest of the entire month. If Xbox sold more it would have won the month.

The adjustments aren’t enough either.

Mandalore76 said:
Pionner said:

Off with the U.S. and black friday so the numbers are definitely off for Europe. 

I don’t understand why you guys keep under tracking PS5 and way over tracking Xbox. Even the Switch gets over tracked.

Dont base anything from sales in the U.K. Sony obviously sent the majority PS5’s to the rest of Europe and the USA.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Xbox is over tracked by 1.5M. PS5 is at least a couple hundred thousand off.

I mean this site had Xbox selling more than PS5 the second week of God Of War and whole lot of PS5 in stock. Like that’s an easy guess that PS5 would be selling the most over Switch and Xbox the entire month.

NPD confirmed what VGChartz already showed in their weekly #'s for November, that PS5 was ahead of the Switch in the USA for the month by 10's of thousands of units.  Where is this amazing revelation that shows VGChartz has some kind of anti-Sony bias you are claiming that NPD has proven?

What data did NPD give that proves this sites data is correct? I didn’t see any numbers in NPD report. It’s just dollar sales and information on 1st 2nd and 3rd place consoles.

This site already admitted they based U.K. sales on the estimates for November. Which honestly makes no sense. U.K. is the smallest market out of all of Europe. And PS5 was behind only by thousands of sales. Not no hundreds of thousands. I wouldn’t use that data point for anything.

Sony said they were increasing PS5 stock. God Of War release in November. That’s all the datapoint anyone needs to know that PS5 would be selling the most for November and on a weekly bases.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Says who exactly? That’s not official data. 

Last edited by Pionner - on 10 December 2022

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Pionner said:
SKMBlake said:

Yeah you were a bit too much enthusiastic about the Xbox

It’s like they don’t get it. No offense.

They still have Xbox selling more than PS5 black friday week. That weekend is the biggest of the entire month. If Xbox sold more it would have won the month.

The adjustments aren’t enough either.

Mandalore76 said:

NPD confirmed what VGChartz already showed in their weekly #'s for November, that PS5 was ahead of the Switch in the USA for the month by 10's of thousands of units.  Where is this amazing revelation that shows VGChartz has some kind of anti-Sony bias you are claiming that NPD has proven?

What data did NPD give that proves this sites data is correct? I didn’t see any numbers in NPD report. It’s just dollar sales and information on 1st 2nd and 3rd place consoles.

This site already admitted they based U.K. sales on the estimates for November. Which honestly makes no sense. U.K. is the smallest market out of all of Europe. And PS5 was behind only by thousands of sales. Not no hundreds of thousands. I wouldn’t use that data point for anything.

Sony said they were increasing PS5 stock. God Of War release in November. That’s all the datapoint anyone needs to know that PS5 would be selling the most for November and on a weekly bases.

curl-6 said:

Says who exactly? That’s not official data. 

Just to stop you right there. The UK is the LARGEST market in Europe. May not make much difference to your point but better not to argue with such inaccuracies as 1 of your main points.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!