By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday Sales - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 20-26

Kyuu said:
curl-6 said:

I mean, the numbers will always be estimates; even after the reports, VGC still has to guesstimate how much sold in each week or region, how much was on shelves or transit vs sold through, etc.

All I'm saying is, it's not always a case of "PS5 undertracked Switch overtracked" despite some insisting every single week that it is.

And what I'm saying is that without quarterly reports, VGC's weekly estimates are much weaker. NPD rankings can still be adjusted around in ways that favor Switch and Xbox.

Yeah it's certainly not "always" the case but there is a clear pattern. Personally, I just can't ignore Sony's insistence and confidence that they're producing a crap ton of PS5's for this quarter and the next.

Yeah but we can admit VGC's estimates got way better since 2019

Around the Network
Pionner said:

Mandalore76 said:

NPD confirmed what VGChartz already showed in their weekly #'s for November, that PS5 was ahead of the Switch in the USA for the month by 10's of thousands of units.  Where is this amazing revelation that shows VGChartz has some kind of anti-Sony bias you are claiming that NPD has proven?

This site already admitted they based U.K. sales on the estimates for November. Which honestly makes no sense. U.K. is the smallest market out of all of Europe. And PS5 was behind only by thousands of sales. Not no hundreds of thousands. I wouldn’t use that data point for anything.

As someone else said the smallest market part is nonsense and they're also basing it on Spain which weekly sales get released from like Japan. Two markets for the continent isn't ideal but it is enough to give a decent picture.

Norion said:
Pionner said:

This site already admitted they based U.K. sales on the estimates for November. Which honestly makes no sense. U.K. is the smallest market out of all of Europe. And PS5 was behind only by thousands of sales. Not no hundreds of thousands. I wouldn’t use that data point for anything.

As someone else said the smallest market part is nonsense and they're also basing it on Spain which weekly sales get released from like Japan. Two markets for the continent isn't ideal but it is enough to give a decent picture.

Yeah. UK and Spain are two of the main sources of data to come up with the initial estimates for the rest of Europe. As well as historical data and Amazon rankings when available. Though with stock shortages historical data hasn't been as useful as in the past. 

When GamesIndustry releases it's monthly Europe report I use that to help tweak our estimates. Only issue with that report is that it is missing data from Germany and some smaller European countries. It is missing UK data but that is available in a separate report. 

If I wanted to wait for all the monthly reports we would be a month behind at all times. Though in that case I could just post all 4 or 5 weeks either at once or over the course of a week or two. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I could see BF week go to the PS5 winning the Americas but we'll see when we get more official numbers. Personally, I'm not really expecting the general standings to differ much in the end:

-Playstation 5 wins NPD for the month of November, but XBS wins NA (slightly) for BF week, while Switch still wins global for both.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 107

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 32,287,523
  2. PS5: 27,565,306
  3. XSX|S: 19,687,577

Through the first 107 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 4.72 million units units and is 12.60 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 7.88 million units.

The Switch has sold 32.29 million in 107 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 27.57 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 19.69 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 107 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 40.6 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 34.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 24.7 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 11,303,629
  2. PS5: 10,324,530
  3. XSX|S: 9,326,728

Through the first 107 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.98 million units and is 1.98 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.0 million units.

The Switch has sold 11.30 million in 107 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 10.32 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 9.33 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 107 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 36.5 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 33.4 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 30.1 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (106 weeks):

1. PS5: 9,217,318
  2. Switch: 8,142,196
  3. XSX|S: 5,103,704

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 106 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.08 million units and is 4.11 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 3.04 million units.

The PS5 has sold 9.22 million in 106 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 8.14 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 5.10 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 106 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 41.0 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 36.3 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.7 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 7,750,446
  2. PS5: 2,192,202
  3. XSX|S: 396,322

Through the first 107 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.56 million units and is 7.35 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.80 million units.

The Switch has sold 7.75 million units in 107 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 2.19 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.40 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 107 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 75.0 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 21.2 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.8 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
Pionner said:

The UK market is now apparently smaller than Luxemburg.

Switch and PS4

I am thankful that NPD exists🙏

Frankly, I am surprised that they claim that Xbox is selling better than PS5 and very close to Switch worldwide.

SKMBlake said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Same here in Luxembourg, which is highly unusual. I mean, even the Wii was readily available here outside of the launch period, so having a console not being available anywhere is simply not something you'd see before the PS5 in Luxembourg. And no, that's not due to very high demand, but simply due to very low supply.

Oh gosh you're in Luxembourg too ? How nice !

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 11 December 2022

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

VGChartz November 2022 US estimates BEFORE adjustments:

1. XS: 1.25M
  2. PS5: 1.14M
  3. NS: 1.05M

VGChartz November 2022 US estimates AFTER adjustments:

1. PS5: 1.14M
  2. NS: 1.09M
  3. XS: 1.08M

PS5 remains the same, NS adjusted up, and XS adjusted down.

Yeah you were a bit too much enthusiastic about the Xbox

Well, that's not all.

Estimate the most-selling hardware as the least sold and the hardest-selling hardware as the most sold.It was doubly wrong.