By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday Sales - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 20-26

Be sure to share the weekly breakdown article here.

Black Friday Sales - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 20-26

The Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console with 1,331,185 units sold for the week ending November 26, 2022, according to VGChartz estimates. The Switch has now sold an estimated 117.27 million units lifetime.

This week also saw the Nintendo Switch outsell the lifetime sales of the PS4. Read the full breakdown here.

The Xbox Series X|S sold 1,084,483 units to bring their lifetime sales to 19.69 million units. The PlayStation 5 sold an estimated 1,054,517 units to bring its lifetime sales to 27.57 million units. 

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X are still facing supply issues, while the Xbox Series S is readily available and saw a discount this week all over the world.

PS5 sales compared to the same week for the PS4 in 2015 are down by nearly 452,000 units, while the Xbox Series X|S compared to the same week for the Xbox One are down by nearly 10,000 units. PS4 sold 1,506,202 units for the week ending November 28, 2015 and Xbox One sales were at 1,094,254 units.

The PlayStation 4 sold an estimated 4,238 units, while the Xbox One sold 134 units.

PlayStation 5 sales compared to the same week a year ago are up by 708,114 (204.4%), while Xbox Series X|S sales are up by 463,432 units (74.6%) and Nintendo Switch sales are down by 127,972 units (-8.8%).

The PlayStation 4 is down 26,021 units (-87.0%) year-over-year and the Xbox One is down 5,826 units (-97.8%).

Looking at sales week-on-week, the Nintendo Switch sales are up by nearly 605,000 units, PlayStation 5 sales are up by nearly 617,000 units, and Xbox Series X|S sales are up by over 691,000 units.

2022 year-to-date, the Nintendo Switch has sold an estimated 15.56 million units, the PlayStation 5 has sold 10.57 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S has sold 8.42 million units.

Global hardware estimates (Followed by lifetime sales):

1. Switch - 1,331,185 (117,269,529)
  2. Xbox Series X|S - 1,084,483 (19,687,577)
  3. PlayStation 5 - 1,054,517 (27,565,306)
  4. PlayStation 4 - 4,238 (117,027,310)
  5. Xbox One - 134 (51,278,798)
Americas (US, Canada, Latin America) hardware estimates:
  1. Xbox Series X|S - 779,112
  2. PlayStation 5 - 735,547
  3. Switch - 626,606
  4. PlayStation 4 - 1,477
  5. Xbox One - 84
Europe hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 393,169
  2. Xbox Series X|S - 210,459
  3. PlayStation 5 - 168,440
  4. PlayStation 4 - 416
  5. Xbox One - 37
Asia (Japan, mainland Asia, Middle East) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 266,618
  2. PlayStation 5 - 103,839
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 42,533
  4. PlayStation 4 - 2,306
  5. Xbox One - 6
Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) hardware estimates:
  1. Xbox Series X|S - 52,379
  2. PlayStation 5 - 46,691
  3. Switch - 44,792
  4. PlayStation 4 - 39
  5. Xbox One - 7

VGChartz Methodology: Hardware estimates are based on retail sampling and trends in individual countries, which are then extrapolated to represent the wider region. This typically allows us to produce figures that end up being within 10% of the actual totals.

This data is regularly compared against official shipment figures released by the console manufacturers and figures estimated by regional trackers with greater market coverage than ourselves. We then update our own estimates to bring them into line with those figures. This can result in frequent changes often within a short space of time, but we feel it's important to prioritise accuracy over consistency.

Note that our estimates are based on sell-through data (units sold to consumers). In almost all cases the figures released by console manufacturers are based on shipment data (sell-in), where as soon as a device has left the factory and entered the supply chain for delivery it is considered a sale. This is why there is always a difference between the companies’ figures (sell-in) and VGChartz estimates (sell-through), even after we’ve made adjustments. The one exception to that is when a console has been discontinued and the remaining stock has finally sold out – at that point the figures will match.

Update: Article update based on latest adjustments
Last edited by trunkswd - on 09 December 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

According to VGC...it is done. The mighty PS4 has fallen to the dark horse hybrid Switch, just as so many before. Few remain, two friends, one foe, but the Switch's blade is sheathed only by the hand of Nintendo. Best of luck to all who remain.

super_etecoon said:

According to VGC...it is done. The mighty PS4 has fallen to the dark horse hybrid Switch, just as so many before. Few remain, two friends, one foe, but the Switch's blade is sheathed only by the hand of Nintendo. Best of luck to all who remain.

It is ahead by nearly 200K, so will need some decent size adjustments down to have not outsold it this week. I will have an article on it out later today or tomorrow. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Hopefully Switch will have the legs to beat out the Game Boy and have sole possession of 3rd place all time by the end of the year!

Press F for all the nay sayers on the "Will Switch outsell the PS4?" topic

Around the Network

Switch has moved into 4th place with 3rd just a little over 1m away. I got a feeling it will end the year in 3rd but not sure there is enough left in the tank to reach 1st or 2nd before its end.

Last edited by darthv72 - on 06 December 2022

gtotheunit91 said:

Hopefully Switch will have the legs to beat out the Game Boy and have sole possession of 3rd place all time by the end of the year!

Switch is currently 1.47M behind the Game Boy. It will have no problem outselling it by the end of the year and should easily top 120M. Though as always these are estimates (not Game Boy) and adjustments are always possible when more data comes in. 

great sales for all but the sales of the ps5 disappointed me a little considering the stock that sony had of 3.2 million. I think December will be a much better month for the ps5

The Series X|S should pass 20 million lifetime next week so that will be a nice milestone too

jvmkdg said:

great sales for all but the sales of the ps5 disappointed me a little considering the stock that sony had of 3.2 million. I think December will be a much better month for the ps5

That 3.2 million stockpile was reported at the end of September.  With the extra being sold for this week and the previous 2 weeks, half of that stockpile has likely been depleted, leaving about half remaining to be added into their regular shipments for December.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.