By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 12, 2024 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

Also, Zelda TOTK slowly moving up in places to achieve the 2M physical sold in Japan !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Depending on how the rest of the year goes the PS5 should be around 6.5 million and the Switch 34 million. I honestly doubt the PS5 can outsell the PS4 especially if the Switch 2 slows PS5 sales not just in Japan, but worldwide.

Sogreblute said:

Depending on how the rest of the year goes the PS5 should be around 6.5 million and the Switch 34 million. I honestly doubt the PS5 can outsell the PS4 especially if the Switch 2 slows PS5 sales not just in Japan, but worldwide.

I doubt Switch 2 is going to substantially slow down PS5 sales, just like Switch didn't really hurt PS4's or PS5's sales for the period they coexisted. The two are different enough that one doesn't take away from the other much.

curl-6 said:

I doubt Switch 2 is going to substantially slow down PS5 sales, just like Switch didn't really hurt PS4's or PS5's sales for the period they coexisted. The two are different enough that one doesn't take away from the other much.

We can't know how much they take sales from one another. The fact that both continued selling well doesn't mean nothing. PS4 2018 was 18M Switch was 16M. If PS4 wasn't on the market in 2018, Switch could've sold 20M for example. And if Switch was not on the market PS4 could sold 20 or 21M for example. (as I say here those are only example, I can't know the exact amount that would be in that scenario, but for sure it would be few milions). The amount of sales that are taken from one another isn't so enourmous so that one of them have to sell so much worse that the one of them is droping like a rock. But there are sales that are taken from one to the other for sure. ( I speak primary for worldwide here. Japan is another beer, and I can agree Japan would always prefer handheld consoles way more than home ones, so there the differences should be way smaller in my opinion)

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 30 March 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

XtremeBG said:
curl-6 said:

We can't know how much they take sales from one another. The fact that both continued selling well doesn't mean nothing. PS4 2018 was 18M Switch was 16M. If PS4 wasn't on the market in 2018, Switch could've sold 20M for example. And if Switch was not on the market PS4 could sold 20 or 21M for example. (as I say here those are only example, I can't know the exact amount that would be in that scenario, but for sure it would be few milions). The amount of sales that are taken from one another isn't so enourmous so that one of them have to sell so much worse that the one of them is droping like a rock. But there are sales that are taken from one to the other for sure. ( I speak primary for worldwide here. Japan is another beer, and I can agree Japan would always prefer handheld consoles way more than home ones, so there the differences should be way smaller in my opinion)

Not to the extent that one seriously slows down the other though. PS5 ain't gonna tank when Switch 2 comes out just like PS4 didn't tank when Switch 1 came out, or Switch 1 didn't tank when PS5 came out.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Not to the extent that one seriously slows down the other though. PS5 ain't gonna tank when Switch 2 comes out just like PS4 didn't tank when Switch 1 came out, or Switch 1 didn't tank when PS5 came out.

Yes. I said basically the same. But sales are taken from one to another for sure.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

XtremeBG said:
curl-6 said:

Yes. I said basically the same. But sales are taken from one to another for sure.

I never said otherwise; my post stated that they don't hurt each other much/seriously/by a lot.

curl-6 said:
Sogreblute said:

I think the reason the Switch didn't hurt PS4 sales is because the PS4 still had most AA and AAA games that the Switch didn't have at the time. Over the years the Switch got a lot AA games, but it still lacked a lot of AAA games. Let's remember the Switch's 1st year and how long it took these companies to even support the Switch. The Switch 2 won't have this issue, and that's where I think it will hurt PS5 sales. If almost every AA and AAA game that's on PS5 is also on Switch 2, then that could hurt PS5 sales.

Sogreblute said:
curl-6 said:

I think the reason the Switch didn't hurt PS4 sales is because the PS4 still had most AA and AAA games that the Switch didn't have at the time. Over the years the Switch got a lot AA games, but it still lacked a lot of AAA games. Let's remember the Switch's 1st year and how long it took these companies to even support the Switch. The Switch 2 won't have this issue, and that's where I think it will hurt PS5 sales. If almost every AA and AAA game that's on PS5 is also on Switch 2, then that could hurt PS5 sales.

Worldwide I think the PS5 will be fine, but yeah, this is pretty much what I expect to happen in Japan.  Frankly, if Monster Hunter Wilds debuts on Switch 2 as well, I think the PS5 will likely fall short of the PS4's total for the region.

archbrix said:
Sogreblute said:

Worldwide I think the PS5 will be fine, but yeah, this is pretty much what I expect to happen in Japan.  Frankly, if Monster Hunter Wilds debuts on Switch 2 as well, I think the PS5 will likely fall short of the PS4's total for the region.

Exactly. We know Sega is porting everything to Switch 2 that the Switch cannot run. I'm certain every other AAA Japanese company is doing the same. No one wants to make the same mistake with the Switch where it got next to no support in it's first 2 years (except Koei Tecmo, whom was the only AAA company 100% all in on Switch day one). Capcom is definitely at least testing MH Wilds on Switch 2 and most likely is already porting over Street Fighter 6, RE4, etc. IDK when MH Wilds will launch, but if it truly launches on Switch 2 day one with the other versions that will change everything.

I was indeed referring to Japan where it will hurt PS5 sales, but even worldwide I don't think the PS5 will reach PS4 sales especially since PS5's peak was last year. That's why Sony is looking into Mobile and PC for expansion which is a different topic.