By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 12, 2024 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

Since a lot of these PS5 sales (and Switch too) are being exported to the rest of Asia, these numbers will likely remain randomly and abnormally high for both consoles (contingent on the value of the yen) as long as they're being produced.

I don't see much of a Switch 2 impact except for the actual Japanese Switch sales.

Around the Network

At this point it's hard to say what can affect PS5 sales in Japan. If PS5 software doesn't affect PS5 hardware sales, then I don't think the Switch 2, or anything else, can affect it. And even if Switch 2 affected PS5 sales, how would we know? It's been impossible to tell what has been affecting PS5 sales in Japan since its launch.

Software is another matter though. Switch 1 is already receiving most of the third party Japanese games that end up on PS5. This percentage can only increase when the Switch 2 releases and the Switch 2 is going to have the most popular SKU for each of these games.

Yeah I really don't see Switch 2 having a big impact on PS5, in Japan or worldwide, just as Switch 1 didn't suddenly crash PS4 sales.
The bigger obstacle for PS5 is its price point and people having less disposable income for luxuries like game consoles these days.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/460500/dragons-dogma-2-sales-top-25-million-units-series-tops-10-million-units-sold/

02./00. [PS5] Dragon's Dogma II (Capcom) {2024.03.22} (¥8.990) - 68.592 / NEW

Hmmm.

curl-6 said:

Yeah I really don't see Switch 2 having a big impact on PS5, in Japan or worldwide, just as Switch 1 didn't suddenly crash PS4 sales.
The bigger obstacle for PS5 is its price point and people having less disposable income for luxuries like game consoles these days.

Yep, Switch released in March 2017 & PS4 peaked in 2017/2018. PS5 released in Nov 2020 & Switch peaked in 2020/2021.

These ecosystems have very little impact on one another.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.