By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - European December Sales - #1 PS5 (+66%), #2 Switch (-7%), #3 XBS (-19%)

XtremeBG said:
Norion said:

Looking at the estimates for all of Europe the PS5 sales are actually pretty disappointing after the gigantic November and how much it's down compared to the PS4 for the same month. I thought it would overtake the PS4 this month worldwide but it won't.

It did barely after November, however it will probably go behind it again with December (if US numbers are not record breaking at least..).

Hope 2024 to be the real peak year for the PS5, why not even across all regions. And with PS5 Pro rumours for this year, this just might get true in the end..

It did? Last I checked the comparison had the PS5 slightly behind after November.

The PS5 Pro will help though considering GTA 6 is next year and how much it'll be down by July I'll be surprised if it's not at least a couple million down this year.

Around the Network
Norion said:

It did? Last I checked the comparison had the PS5 slightly behind after November.

The PS5 Pro will help though considering GTA 6 is next year and how much it'll be down by July I'll be surprised if it's not at least a couple million down this year.

Yep, barely. You can check here on my lifetime thread. https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=246612

The 50M announce said it was behind, cuz it was from the first week of december so two weeks later, and by then PS5 moved back behind.

Why do you think PS5 will be so much down by July ? Because of the strong perfomance in 2023's first half ?

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

XtremeBG said:
Norion said:

Yep, barely. You can check here on my lifetime thread. https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=246612

The 50M announce said it was behind, cuz it was from the first week of december so two weeks later, and by then PS5 moved back behind.

Why do you think PS5 will be so much down by July ? Because of the strong perfomance in 2023's first half ?

Why is that a bit different compared to this? https://www.vgchartz.com/article/459407/ps5-vs-ps4-sales-comparison-november-2023/

That is the case yeah, it'll be extremely hard to compete with it selling 1.8m in February and 1.9m in March last year. It'll still sell really well of course, just closer to PS4 level than this year.

Last edited by Norion - on 17 January 2024

Norion said:

Why is that a bit different compared to this? https://www.vgchartz.com/article/459407/ps5-vs-ps4-sales-comparison-november-2023/

That is the case yeah, it'll be extremely hard to compete with it selling 1.8m in February and 1.9m in March last year. It'll still really well of course, just closer to PS4 level than this year.

Possible adjustments of the PS4 sales in the last 2 months .. I will fix it now. Thanks for pointing out. So the PS5 wasn't ahead after all..

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 17 January 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Norion said:

Looking at the estimates for all of Europe the PS5 sales are actually pretty disappointing after the gigantic November and how much it's down compared to the PS4 for the same month. I thought it would overtake the PS4 this month worldwide but it won't. Switch had a better hold than last month so is ending its life well though Xbox Series is rough once again.

The PS5 had an overall amazing 2023 in Europe though 2024 should be down, the Switch did really well considering its age and will be down a lot this year but that's fine though Xbox did poorly and better not decline notably again or it'll start entering genuine disaster territory.

It was the only manufacturer out of the 3 that didn't have any bundles/deals.

The system is 549 and 449 Euros, It launched at 499 and 399 Euros. I understand inflation is to be taken, but by comparison, the PS4 launched at 399 Euros and by September 2016 the Slim was 299 Euros and retailers sold Phat and Slim consoles at 249 Euros on December 2016.

It's been almost 3 years and a half, Sony really needs to cut prices if they want growth in 2024. 

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:
Norion said:

Looking at the estimates for all of Europe the PS5 sales are actually pretty disappointing after the gigantic November and how much it's down compared to the PS4 for the same month. I thought it would overtake the PS4 this month worldwide but it won't. Switch had a better hold than last month so is ending its life well though Xbox Series is rough once again.

The PS5 had an overall amazing 2023 in Europe though 2024 should be down, the Switch did really well considering its age and will be down a lot this year but that's fine though Xbox did poorly and better not decline notably again or it'll start entering genuine disaster territory.

It was the only manufacturer out of the 3 that didn't have any bundles/deals.

The system is 549 and 449 Euros, It launched at 499 and 399 Euros. I understand inflation is to be taken, but by comparison, the PS4 launched at 399 Euros and by September 2016 the Slim was 299 Euros and retailers sold Phat and Slim consoles at 249 Euros on December 2016.

It's been almost 3 years and a half, Sony really needs to cut prices if they want growth in 2024. 

Yeah with pent up demand fulfilled the lack of price cuts and even an price increase happening is catching up with the PS5 now. I'd say growth is not doable even with a price cut but that will probably need to happen to keep sales from declining significantly.

Random_Matt said:

IcaroRibeiro said:

Xbox strategy of releasing everything on PC is basically an envitation for people not buying their console. Even Xbox fans game on PC nowadays

Nope. Only is niche enthusiasts are buying 7000/4000 cards, too expensive. Xbox fans are not jumping to PC, more likely jumping to PS5 or Switch.

Now sort out all those entry-level GPUs that companies needed to buy before Ryzen 7000 to have any graphics adapter (and some even did when there was an iGPU for redundancy and longevity of the CPU).

GPUs are holding much longer these days if you don't care about RT. With a 1080Ti you're still good for FHD gaming at 60+ FPS despite turning 7 years old in less than 2 months. The 1060  got finally replaced last year as the card on top of the Steam Charts after leading for almost 6 years, and is still on the third spot. People simply aren't upgrading nearly as often as they used to, and DLSS/FSR/XeSS will certainly not help to buck that trend, either, as are the sky-high prices.

In other words, GPU sales staying more or less stable despite the need for new GPUs going down for pre-existing customers can only mean that new customers have entered the market. There ain't masses of them, but enough for the GPU market not to crater down. The drop of Xbox clients compared to last Gen could however probably be explained by customers switching to PC instead. Also, some new markets are being conquered. For instance, PC gaming used to be extremely niche in Japan but is now increasingly gaining traction as a way to circumvent regulations as CERO ratings are for consoles only.

Not surprised to see soccer selling so well in europe.

BiON!@