By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - European December Sales - #1 PS5 (+66%), #2 Switch (-7%), #3 XBS (-19%)

Xbox strategy of releasing everything on PC is basically an envitation for people not buying their console. Even Xbox fans game on PC nowadays

Around the Network

It should be noted this Europe report is missing the UK, Germany, and a lot of the smaller markets in Eastern Europe when it comes to hardware sales.

I'll need sometime to write up the article on this and the daily news. Then I'll get working on the Europe estimates for December.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Source: Evilms from IconEra

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Xbox strategy of releasing everything on PC is basically an envitation for people not buying their console. Even Xbox fans game on PC nowadays

Nope. Only is niche enthusiasts are buying 7000/4000 cards, too expensive. Xbox fans are not jumping to PC, more likely jumping to PS5 or Switch.

Ok I have a question, I was searching the internet to try and find December 2022 hardware numbers for Europe (minus UK, Germany) and found this website and I found their data to be interesting. Do any of you consider this data to be accurate?

Consoles sold in European Countries (without Hardware)

Source: https://www.bbntimes.com/society/the-most-popular-video-game-console-in-each-european-country

On a separate note does anyone know the hardware sales of Europe (minus UK and Germany) for December 2022?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network
Shtinamin_ said:

Ok I have a question, I was searching the internet to try and find December 2022 hardware numbers for Europe (minus UK, Germany) and found this website and I found their data to be interesting. Do any of you consider this data to be accurate?

Source: https://www.bbntimes.com/society/the-most-popular-video-game-console-in-each-european-country

This is not consoles sold. The site says " The study analysed Google searches from 2023"

Shtinamin_ said:

If you want my opinion, it's really not accurate. lol

We got informations for example that in France, PS5 is outselling Xbox Series by more than 9 against 1. And in this list, Xbox Series is above. ^^

Edit : Zippy6 has the explanation, my bad.

Big increase YoY for the PS5 but looking at the number being not too far from the Switch when ch is holding nicely, it's clear though the 5 weeks period helped boost those sales for the overall month.

And welp, Xbox is there, but you have to wander if the trend it's going for will simply continue to decline or if it'll do some kind of roller coasters ride for the foreseeable future ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Shtinamin_ said:

Taking in mind that the Series S comfortably outsells the Series X: No.

DroidKnight said:

If we assume that people no longer buy consoles for games, then the Xbox won't even come close to 50 million. All the upcoming Xbox exclusives no longer need to calculated into the predictions, they should be treated as they don't or won't exist.

What reason other than games is there to buy a console?

But the thing is a lot of people don't want to buy every console for a variety of reasons. So they either stick to where they already have a digital library built up, or go for the ones with the most enticing exclusives.
Where their friends play is another big factor.

I think it's harder to sell people on franchises they are not familiar with. Nintendo has an advantage there since most gamers are familiar with theirs either from childhood or on one of their handhelds. And if marketed well, games like Spider-Man can have that effect as well.

Last edited by Hiku - on 16 January 2024