By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts November 2023 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:

The Switch outsold the Xbox 360 in the US in November. I've gone and adjusted our Xbox 360 estimates (and PS3 estimates) in the US, so the Switch is now ahead of it in the US. There was recent data that showed NPD/Circana adjusted their US figures for the 7th generation down (~2% for the X360 and ~0.75% for the PS3). I did them through the available date, but didn't go beyond that. Lifetime Xbox 360 and PS3 sales remain the same as before. So what I adjusted down in the US I adjusted up in RoW. 

So this does mean one final month of the Switch vs Xbox 360 in the US comparison. I will probably replace it with Switch vs DS in the US. Though the Switch is 10.84M away from outselling the DS in the US. Sadly we don't have PS2 figures. 

Well, there it is; it has been a long race, and the 360 was a worthy opponent as it was a beast in the US, but ultimately the Switch claims another skull.

Regarding replacement charts, Xbox Series vs PS3 in the US is looking like it could be an interesting one we could do, as the Xbox One only slightly outsold PS3 in NA and the Series is tracking a little behind the Xbone.

Around the Network

Link to VGChartz article here.

Switch vs Xbox 360 Sales Comparison in the US - November 2023 (Final Update)

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 launched in the US in November 2005, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Xbox 360 US:

Gap change in latest month: 337,989 - NS

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,231,883 - X360

Total Lead: 8,417,644 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 42,958,144

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 34,540,500

November 2023 is the 81st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Nintendo Switch outsold the Xbox 360  by 337,989 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox 360 has outsold the Nintendo Switch by 2.23 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the Xbox 360 by 8.42 million units.

The 81st month for the Nintendo Switch is November 2023 and for the Xbox 360 it is July 2012. The Switch has sold 42.96 million units, while the Xbox 360 sold 34.54 million units during the same timeframe.

This month the Nintendo Switch outsold the lifetime sales of the Xbox 360 in the US. The Switch’s 42.96 million units sold is above the 42.73 million units the Xbox 360 sold lifetime in the US.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

So that leaves just PS2 and DS.
DS is probably out of reach, but there's a chance Switch could manage to surpass the PS2 in America, depending on how its legs hold from this point onwards.
The Platform Totals page has PS2 at 53.65m in North America, with Switch at 47.26m. Not an insurmountable gap.

trunkswd said:

The Switch outsold the Xbox 360 in the US in November. I've gone and adjusted our Xbox 360 estimates (and PS3 estimates) in the US, so the Switch is now ahead of it in the US. There was recent data that showed NPD/Circana adjusted their US figures for the 7th generation down (~2% for the X360 and ~0.75% for the PS3). I did them through the available date, but didn't go beyond that. Lifetime Xbox 360 and PS3 sales remain the same as before. So what I adjusted down in the US I adjusted up in RoW. 

So this does mean one final month of the Switch vs Xbox 360 in the US comparison. I will probably replace it with Switch vs DS in the US. Though the Switch is 10.84M away from outselling the DS in the US. Sadly we don't have PS2 figures. 

Wow, this is a pretty big milestone for the Switch.  That's awesome!

This is the part of the Switch's lifecycle that I have been waiting years for.  I knew it was going to be a huge seller, and now I am finally getting to see it pass major milestones.  It has outsold both the Wii and XBox 360 in the US.  Sometime next year it will surpass both the Gameboy and DS in Japan.  I also think it will outsell the PS2 in the US, but that will take another 2-3 years for that to happen.  There is going to be a good wait on that.  Passing the DS in the US is possible but unlikely. 

Some of this depends on how NoA handles the tail end of the Switch.  They have plenty of room for attractive bundles and price cuts if they want to go that route.  I personally think that is a good route, since they seem like they are trying to expand their Nintendo Online business.  In order to do that they are going to want as large of an install base as possible.  They may take another strategy though.  We'll see.

Yeah it will be very interesting to see how Nintendo handle the closing years of the Switch.
With smart bundling and price cuts, they could squeeze another 20-30 million out of it. I expect it's more likely though that they will follow Sony's lead with the PS4-to-PS5 transition and phase out the Switch relatively quickly in favour of its successor, so that their new system doesn't get cannibalised by its own parent.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This is the part of the Switch's lifecycle that I have been waiting years for.  I knew it was going to be a huge seller, and now I am finally getting to see it pass major milestones.  It has outsold both the Wii and XBox 360 in the US.  Sometime next year it will surpass both the Gameboy and DS in Japan.  I also think it will outsell the PS2 in the US, but that will take another 2-3 years for that to happen.  There is going to be a good wait on that.  Passing the DS in the US is possible but unlikely. 

Some of this depends on how NoA handles the tail end of the Switch.  They have plenty of room for attractive bundles and price cuts if they want to go that route.  I personally think that is a good route, since they seem like they are trying to expand their Nintendo Online business.  In order to do that they are going to want as large of an install base as possible.  They may take another strategy though.  We'll see.

Do you still think Switch will pass 160M and become the best selling system of all time considering this year declines (most notably in europe and US, and lately in japan too) ?

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

XtremeBG said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Do you still think Switch will pass 160M and become the best selling system of all time considering this year declines (most notably in europe and US, and lately in japan too) ?

I think it is foolish to change your view based on one data point.  In this case that data point is November 2023.  If Nintendo falls significantly short of their goal for the current fiscal year, then I might change my view, but that report is several months away.

There are several Playstation fans that are currently doing what they've done for years.  They see a temporary bad trend for the Switch and immediately declare it dead going forward.  This isn't based on reason.  It's based on wishful thinking.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 23 December 2023

PS5 alone will be closer to the magical number of 56m units sold at the end of the year.

Calendar year sales will be about 22m, not bad considering there were some predictions of the system only selling about 12-13 m. Units in 2023.

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison in the US - November 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 59,141 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,430,535 - PS5

Total Lead: 1,228,804 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 17,163,159

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 15,934,355

November 2023 is the 37th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 59,141 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS5 has outsold the PS4 by 1.43 million units. The PS5 is currently ahead of the PS4 by 1.23 million units.

The PS5 has sold 17.16 million units in 37 months, while the PS4 sold 15.93 million units. Month 37 for the PS5 is November 2023 and for the PS4 is November 2016.

The PS4 crossed 20 million in month 47, 25 million in month 57, and 30 million in month 71. The PS4 has sold 34.91 million units to date in the US. The PS5 is 17.75 million units behind lifetime PS4 sales in the US.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Link to the VGChartz article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Sales Comparison in Europe - November 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned Europe sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. XOne Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 127,009 - XOne

Gap change over last 12 months: 634,008 - XOne

Total Lead: 244,973 - XOne

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 6,986,826

Xbox One Total Sales: 7,231,799

November 2023 is the 37th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox One when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 127,009 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox One has outsold the Xbox Series X|S by 634,008 units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently behind the Xbox One by 244,973 units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 6.99 million units in 37 months, while the Xbox One sold 7.23 million units. Month 37 for the Xbox Series X|S is November 2023 and for the Xbox One is November 2016.

The Xbox One crossed 8 million units sold in Europe in month 39, 10 million in month 50, and 12 million in month 62. The Xbox One sold 14.86 million units lifetime in Europe. The Xbox Series X|S is 7.87 million units behind lifetime Xbox One sales in Europe.