By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts November 2023 Discussion Thread

Xbox Series really seems to have just hit a brick wall.
Hopefully this is just a temporary slump like the other two big drops on the graph and not a terminal spiral.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 December 2023

Around the Network

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison in Europe - November 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned Europe sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 452,983 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 391,066 - PS5

Total Lead: 4,084,165 - PS4

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 16,197,326

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 20,281,491

November 2023 is the 37th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 by 452,983 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS5 has outsold the PS4 by 391,066 units. The PS5 is currently behind the PS4 by 4.08 million units.

The PS5 has sold 16.20 million units in 37 months, while the PS4 sold 20.28 million units. Month 37 for the PS5 is November 2023 and for the PS4 is November 2016.

The PS4 crossed 30 million in month 51 and 40 million in month 72. The PS4 has sold 45.87 million units to date in Europe. The PS5 is 29.67 million units behind lifetime PS4 sales in Europe.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

With PS5 tracking ahead of PS4 most other places, it still feels weird that it's not just behind but quite signficantly behind in the region where the PS brand is most dominant.
And it's not because the Series is taking sales away from it either, as the Series is also down from its predecessor in Europe.

curl-6 said:

With PS5 tracking ahead of PS4 most other places, it still feels weird that it's not just behind but quite signficantly behind in the region where the PS brand is most dominant.
And it's not because the Series is taking sales away from it either, as the Series is also down from its predecessor in Europe.

It’s clear by now the system is behind the PS4 launch aligned only because Sony didn’t sent enough stock until this year, any other reasoning is just fooling around. 

kazuyamishima said:
curl-6 said:

It’s clear by now the system is behind the PS4 launch aligned only because Sony didn’t sent enough stock until this year, any other reasoning is just fooling around. 

It's possible, but 4 million is a big gap to be caused by stock allocation alone, especially when the chip crunch is long over.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
kazuyamishima said:

It's possible, but 4 million is a big gap to be caused by stock allocation alone, especially when the chip crunch is long over.

The PS5 wasn't readily available in Europe until the beginning of this year. 2022 and prior all shipped units essentially sold immediately. So now in 2023 the stock situation is over how's it holding up? Well for 2023 so far the PS5 has sold 6.69m compared to the PS4's 5.37m in equivalent months. This year PS5 is on track to demolish PS4's peak EU year of 7.4m (2017).

We can't say for definite what the PS5 would have sold in 2022 and before if it had unlimited stock. All we know is that now there is stock the PS5 is outselling the PS4. There isn't concrete proof either way of what the result would have been, but PS5's sales potential in Europe is clearly very high now it is not limited and we'll see if it can close that gap over the coming years or not.

I don't think 4 million is too much to have been caused by the stock issues alone, but there's also no proof that with stock it would have sold more than the PS4. How the PS5 performs in the years ahead will give a better indication on this. If this year in EU is being boosted by pent-up demand or if the PS5 will keep selling faster than the PS4 in the years ahead.

PS5 vs Wii Sales Comparison - November 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Wii.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Wii launched in November 2006. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. Wii Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 760,307 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,666,033 - PS5

Total Lead: 8,319,374 - Wii

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 48,932,444

Wii Total Sales: 57,251,818

November 2023 is the 37th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Nintendo Wii by 0.76 million units.

In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 5 has outsold the Nintendo Wii by 1.67 million units. The Nintendo Wii is ahead of the PlayStation 5 by 8.32 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 48.93 million units in 37 months, while the Nintendo Wii sold 57.25 million units. Month 37 for the PlayStation 5 is November 2023 and for the Nintendo Wii it is November 2009.

The Nintendo Wii crossed 60 million in month 38, 70 million in month 43, 80 million in month 50, and 90 million in month 61. The Nintendo Wii sold 101.63 million units lifetime. The PS5 is 52.70 million units behind lifetime Wii sales.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Zippy6 said:
curl-6 said:

The PS5 wasn't readily available in Europe until the beginning of this year. 2022 and prior all shipped units essentially sold immediately. So now in 2023 the stock situation is over how's it holding up? Well for 2023 so far the PS5 has sold 6.69m compared to the PS4's 5.37m in equivalent months. This year PS5 is on track to demolish PS4's peak EU year of 7.4m (2017).

We can't say for definite what the PS5 would have sold in 2022 and before if it had unlimited stock. All we know is that now there is stock the PS5 is outselling the PS4. There isn't concrete proof either way of what the result would have been, but PS5's sales potential in Europe is clearly very high now it is not limited and we'll see if it can close that gap over the coming years or not.

I don't think 4 million is too much to have been caused by the stock issues alone, but there's also no proof that with stock it would have sold more than the PS4. How the PS5 performs in the years ahead will give a better indication on this. If this year in EU is being boosted by pent-up demand or if the PS5 will keep selling faster than the PS4 in the years ahead.

Yeah allocation will definitely be a factor given the shortages for the first two of the system's three years, and a year ago it would've pretty much been the sole cause, but by this stage I think there's probably other contributing factors. I do expect the gap will close with time though, and I'd be surprised if PS5 sells less than PS4 lifetime in Europe. (Or anywhere else for that matter)

PS5 vs Switch Sales Comparison - November 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Switch.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

PS5 Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 587,410 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 595,542 - PS5

Total Lead: 5,438,208 - Switch

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 48,932,444

Switch Total Sales: 54,370,652

November 2023 is the 37th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Nintendo Switch by 0.59 million units.

In the last 12 months, the PS5 has outsold the Switch by 0.60 million units. The PS5 is behind the Switch by 5.44 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 48.93 million units in 37 months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 54.37 million units. Month 37 for the PlayStation 5 is November 2023 and for the Nintendo Switch it is March 2020.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 60 million in month 41, 70 million in month 45, and 80 million in month 48. The Nintendo Switch has sold 132.91 million units through September 2023. The PS5 is 83.98 million units behind lifetime Switch sales.

Interesting analysis for the 9th Gen.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 31 December 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts