Forums - Sales Discussion - October NPD: Switch 736k, XBO 68K, PS4 39K

Leaks

Hardware
Switch - 736.000 (+136% YOY)
XBO - 68.000 (-37% YOY)
PS4 - 39.000 (-73% YOY)

Official NPD

State of the market

Consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories reached $3.8 billion in October 2020, 14% higher compared to YA. Mobile, subscription, hardware and accessories were among the largest growth segments.

Year-to-date spending totaled $37.5 billion20% higher than the same period in 2019.

Content

FIFA 21
 was the best-selling game of October, the first time a FIFA franchise release has launched at #1 in the U.S. market. FIFA 21 was the best-selling game of October on both PlayStation and Xbox platforms.

Watch Dogs: Legion
 debuted as the third best-selling game of October, despite having only three days of sales tracking in the month. Watch Dogs: Legion ranked 2nd on Xbox platforms, 3rd on PlayStation platforms.

NHL 21 entered the charts as the fourth best-selling game of October. Launch month dollar sales were the highest for an NHL release since the September 2015 launch of NHL 16.

Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
 ranked as the fifth best-selling game of October, and was the best-selling game of the month on Nintendo platforms.

Nine of the top 20 best-selling titles of October were published by Nintendo.

Software charts

Hardware

Switch - 736,000 (+136% up YOY), +22.5 million lifetime

October 2020 video game hardware spending gained 41% when compared to a year ago, to $259 million. Growth in sales of Nintendo Switch offset declines on other console platforms. Year-to-date hardware spending totaled $2.5 billlion, 23% higher than a year ago.

Nintendo Switch set a new U.S. October hardware dollar sales record, besting the previous high set by Nintendo Wii in October 2008. Nintendo Switch has been the best-selling hardware platform in the U.S. for 23 consecutive months, also a record high.

Year-to-date dollar sales of Nintendo Switch hardware are the second highest of any platform in U.S. history, trailing only the 2008 year-to-date dollar sales of Nintendo Wii.

Accessories

Spending on Accessories totaled an October record $148 million23% higher when compared to a year ago. Year-to-date spending has increased 25%, to a record $1.8 billion.

Gamepad spending reached a new October U.S. dollar sales record. The Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller was the best-selling Gamepad in October (dollar sales).

Archivie

2020: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugust, September
2019: JanuaryFebruary, March, April, MayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2018: 
JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2017: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2016: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2015: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2014: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2013: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2012: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2011: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2010: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2009: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2008: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2007: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember

Last edited by Ryng - on 16 November 2020

Around the Network

more info coming in about an hour

Wow!

Does anyone know the record for NPD October? And if so, what are the records for NPD November and December while we're at it?

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 13 November 2020

Not surprised with how much stock they had on Amazon in October.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Wow!

Does anyone know the record for NPD October? And if so, what are the records for NPD November and December while we're at it?

The record is I believe ~804k for Wii's October 2008. This is the second place now though. 

November and December also go to Wii, Nov. 2008 with 2.04m, and Dec. 2009 with 3.81m, which is also the record for best month tracked by the NPD for a console ever. 

EDIT: The data I was looking at for this was older. I can't seem to find the most recent records though just by looking around here and online, but it seems those may still be the records.

Around the Network

Nintendo switch is just selling gangbusters.It makes me think 2021 will be bigger than I thought a few months back

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Zero_Revolution said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Wow!

The record is I believe ~804k for Wii's October 2008. This is the second place now though. 

November and December also go to Wii, Nov. 2008 with 2.04m, and Dec. 2009 with 3.81m, which is also the record for best month tracked by the NPD for a console ever. 

EDIT: The data I was looking at for this was older. I can't seem to find the most recent records though just by looking around here and online, but it seems those may still be the records.

Thanks.

I do think Switch has a decent chance at breaking that 2.04m record.  Next month is going to be big.  Dec. 2009 though is too big a hurdle.  I seem to recall that 2nd place is nowhere near 3.81m.  That is just a crazy number of systems for a single month in the US alone.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Zero_Revolution said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Wow!

Thanks.

I do think Switch has a decent chance at breaking that 2.04m record.  Next month is going to be big.  Dec. 2009 though is too big a hurdle.  I seem to recall that 2nd place is nowhere near 3.81m.  That is just a crazy number of systems for a single month in the US alone.

NPD All Console Years >6M (Since 2001) vs. 2020 NSW

Some specific figures might be outdated/estimates.

Second biggest month ever is NDS 2009 3.31M.  3rd biggest is NDS 2008 3.04M.  

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Zero_Revolution said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Wow!

Thanks.

Agreed. I think especially this year we have all learned not to underestimate the Switch, so I certainly don't think it's impossible, but I doubt it will manage to beat it. It's an almost unfathomable number that only something like the Wii craze could manage honestly.

interested to see shadow's interpretation of this