By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October NPD: Switch 736k, XBO 68K, PS4 39K

Oof what happened to PS4

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Jranation said:
Oof what happened to PS4

Stock.  We'll see next month if they were holding back for Black Friday/Christmas or if they're trying to drain the channels to make way for PS5.  Surely its a mix of both.

Thread update

mk7sx said:

NPD Leaks from Era

PS4 - 39,000

XBO - 68,000

NSW - 735,926

VGC Tracking

PS4 135,428

XBO 77,334

NSW 554,652 (has alredy been adjusted)

So PS4 overtracked by around 100k in NA.

They be making room on shelves for that humongous PS5 it seems.

mk7sx said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Zero_Revolution said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Wow!

Does anyone know the record for NPD October? And if so, what are the records for NPD November and December while we're at it?

The record is I believe ~804k for Wii's October 2008. This is the second place now though. 

November and December also go to Wii, Nov. 2008 with 2.04m, and Dec. 2009 with 3.81m, which is also the record for best month tracked by the NPD for a console ever. 

EDIT: The data I was looking at for this was older. I can't seem to find the most recent records though just by looking around here and online, but it seems those may still be the records.

Thanks.

I do think Switch has a decent chance at breaking that 2.04m record.  Next month is going to be big.  Dec. 2009 though is too big a hurdle.  I seem to recall that 2nd place is nowhere near 3.81m.  That is just a crazy number of systems for a single month in the US alone.

NPD All Console Years >6M (Since 2001) vs. 2020 NSW

Some specific figures might be outdated/estimates.

Second biggest month ever is NDS 2009 3.31M.  3rd biggest is NDS 2008 3.04M.  

It just dawned on me how huge a phenomenon the Wii was in 2008. The Switch is ahead of PS2 by over 200K units, knocking the PS2 down to 3rd, but the Wii is still 71K ahead of the Switch.

2009 should have been the Wii's biggest year, but there was this lull in the Spring/Summer lull - three months in 2010 even beat 2009 months which shows it's a little bit more than an standard expected decline. Especially consindering the Wii's best winter and autumn sales were both the 2009 seasons.  It had an insanely strong Winter and Autumn in 2009. 2010, despite being a reduction, was still a solid year.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
mk7sx said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Zero_Revolution said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Wow!

Does anyone know the record for NPD October? And if so, what are the records for NPD November and December while we're at it?

The record is I believe ~804k for Wii's October 2008. This is the second place now though. 

November and December also go to Wii, Nov. 2008 with 2.04m, and Dec. 2009 with 3.81m, which is also the record for best month tracked by the NPD for a console ever. 

EDIT: The data I was looking at for this was older. I can't seem to find the most recent records though just by looking around here and online, but it seems those may still be the records.

Thanks.

I do think Switch has a decent chance at breaking that 2.04m record.  Next month is going to be big.  Dec. 2009 though is too big a hurdle.  I seem to recall that 2nd place is nowhere near 3.81m.  That is just a crazy number of systems for a single month in the US alone.

NPD All Console Years >6M (Since 2001) vs. 2020 NSW

Some specific figures might be outdated/estimates.

Second biggest month ever is NDS 2009 3.31M.  3rd biggest is NDS 2008 3.04M.  

It just dawned on me how huge a phenomenon the Wii was in 2008. The Switch is ahead of PS2 by over 200K units, knocking the PS2 down to 3rd, but the Wii is still 71K ahead of the Switch.

2009 should have been the Wii's biggest year, but there was this lull in the Spring/Summer lull - three months in 2010 even beat 2009 months which shows it's a little bit more than an standard expected decline. Especially consindering the Wii's best winter and autumn sales were both the 2009 seasons.  It had an insanely strong Winter and Autumn in 2009. 2010, despite being a reduction, was still a solid year.

Game drought plus they waited too long to drop the price. Hopefully they dont make the same mistake with Switch and immediately drop the price if demand takes a bit hit.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Pikmin 3 debut is disappointing. I expected it to at least outsell SMP and NSMBUD

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Pikmin 3 flopped hard. Sad.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

That year to date software chart looks more believable, because it's true obviously, than whatshisname saying Jedi Fallen Order was the second best selling game this year. I don't know what that was about.

S.Peelman said:
That year to date software chart looks more believable, because it's true obviously, than whatshisname saying Jedi Fallen Order was the second best selling game this year. I don't know what that was about.

All NPD software charts exclude digital sales of games published by Take Two (2K/Rockstar), Bethesda (Doom), and Nintendo (various).  Take Two stopped allowing digital sometime this summer.  Nintendo/Bethesda never allowed it as far as I know.