By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 38, 2024 (Sep 16 - Sep 22)

Switch outselling PS5 by a factor of 6:1.
Will be interesting to see how it performs next week with Echoes of Wisdom and the gold Switch Lite.

As for PS5, just how low it will go should be morbidly interesting. I suspect the Pro's price point will prevent it from turning things around.

Around the Network

Last few weeks have been weird on PS part considering the low key staying power of Astro Bot while the hardware is actively tanking because of the latest price hike, which if they are to be this price conscious, the Pro model will change quasi nothing there

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I always expect a dip after Nintendo announces bundles coming up a few weeks down the road. But somehow this did not happen in Japan. Not sure, but doesn't Japan get the bundles?

Tober said:

I always expect a dip after Nintendo announces bundles coming up a few weeks down the road. But somehow this did not happen in Japan. Not sure, but doesn't Japan get the bundles?

At this point, I am starting to think Switch is immortal in Japan. The holiday will be interesting though, last year the boost was little to none. Will it be there this holiday season ?

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 27 September 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

Astro Bot has some great legs. I think it will be in the top 30 for a good while (possibly even going into next year). On the other hand, the PS5's sales are really low. This is actually how the PS5 should have been selling in Japan for the past 3+ years. Due to a weak Yen, people were exporting the PS5 from Japan. It now looks like that they aren't doing that anymore. I mean, this has to be the case, considering how poor PS5 software sales have been since the beginning.

Around the Network

Switch Sports ranking ahead of the likes of Animal Crossing and Minecraft is really something.
Hopefully we see a fleshed out sequel, similar to what Resort was to the original Wii Sports, on the next system.

Speaking of the next system, it's looking like it will have a veritable monopoly on Japan, unless Nintendo decides to make the same mistake as Sony and price it too high.

curl-6 said:

Switch Sports ranking ahead of the likes of Animal Crossing and Minecraft is really something.
Hopefully we see a fleshed out sequel, similar to what Resort was to the original Wii Sports, on the next system.

Speaking of the next system, it's looking like it will have a veritable monopoly on Japan, unless Nintendo decides to make the same mistake as Sony and price it too high.

Oof, I shudder to think of what would happen to the Japanese console market if Nintendo mis-prices the Switch 2. Japan clearly isn't into the PS5 at its current price and if Switch 2 makes a similar pricing mistake, the console market in Japan will be in deep trouble.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

kenjab said:
curl-6 said:

Oof, I shudder to think of what would happen to the Japanese console market if Nintendo mis-prices the Switch 2. Japan clearly isn't into the PS5 at its current price and if Switch 2 makes a similar pricing mistake, the console market in Japan will be in deep trouble.

Yeah things will be bleak indeed if Nintendo are dumb enough to overcharge for Switch 2. 

It will probably still sell okay-ish just cos it will almost certainly certainly be portable, and a cheaper Lite model after 2 years or so could be a get out of jail card for them, but sales would be much worse than the current system, which is already practically carrying the Japanese console market.

Switch 2 will sell close to the same as Switch 1, price won't be a issue unless you're thinking Switch 2 costs like twice the price of current Switch for no reason. If anything Japan will be the market where pricing will affect Nintendo the least because they have a monopoly there. People won't stop gaming because consoles became 20-30% more expensive. People overblown the impact of price. Japan is a country where society are from upper middle class, and have an habit to save money.

PS5 decrease in sales is due to people stopping to import from Japan, since Sony fixed the price it's no longer profitable to buy PS5 in Japan and sell elsewhere

PS5 is tanking because it's a home console, being expensive is just the cherry on top. Wii was a home console and was unexpensive and still had pretty bad sales. Same for Wii U, PS4, Game Cube, PS3 and anything not named PS2 in the last... 25 years? I mean, PSVita with virtually no support sold 6 million in Japan while PS4 with all developers in the market sold barely 3 million more with twice the retail life of Vita. Even if PS5 was the same price as Switch the ceiling for a non handheld console is Japan seems to be between 10 and 12 million

I find it kind of amusing that BOTW sold more than TOTK even if its a minimal amount. I'm also kind of surprised with it takes two sales for Switch, pretty decent for a smaller western game in Japan.

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together