By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Xbox Series X/S make it to 40 million?

Will it reach 40 million?

Yes it will 63 62.38%

No, it will fall short 38 37.62%

Total:101
Hardstuck-Platinum said:
Norion said:

It should be higher than 2.5m by then since while it only did 230k this May that month is a relatively weak one for console sales and June is a relatively strong one so it shouldn't sell just 200k that month. I don't see it only doing 1.5m then since that would be a massive drop from the nearly 2.9m it did last year. There should be a big drop but 2m seems a lot more realistic. The Xbox One did over twice as much as 1.5m then even in 2019 and the Xbox Series isn't far behind the pace of that year so far so that would be a far better comparison for it than 2020.

I do agree that the comeback potential for the Xbox Series seems non-existent. I just think you're being pessimistic about its sales trajectory to an unrealistic degree. It's gonna do worse than the Xbox One for sure but the drop will be closer to 10m than 15m unless the successor releases 2026.

You have to consider that The XBS consoles had very aggressive price cuts last holiday. The Series S went as low as 150$ and X 350$. I don't think they will do those price cuts again, and the 600$ XBSX 2tb is an indicator that they don't want to lose money on consoles anymore trying to compete with PS when they will lose in sales regardless. Even if they did though, it wouldn't have the same effect as last holiday. 

You also have to consider that Starfield launched and that game was one of the most hyped games I'd ever seen in my life. Without starfield they would have been down in sales much more than they were. Finally, this year they might be competing with the PS5 Pro, and that console is going to make the XBSX look outdated. Overall The XBS Series consoles had things going for it last year that it won't have this year 

There will for sure be deals this holiday season but we'll see just how good they are this time sure and Starfield didn't move that much hardware due to its weak reception, September had a boost but then it was back to normal by October so the lack of Starfield wouldn't have had a significant impact. 

You're right that the PS5 Pro will have a negative impact though it does also have things going for it this year that it didn't last year for example Black Ops 6 being on Game Pass is notable. Overall the situation is bad but it's not bad enough to make it more likely than not to fail to reach 5m for the year.

Around the Network

Of course it will. We only got numbers from Japan and it's smashing the Xbox one

Yes.

50 million as well unless something is done by MS that prevents it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

Yes.

From InstallBase :
+

"Dear lord...any idea how much Europe (non-UK) typically accounts for Xbox sales? I've seen the estimates of Series at ~ 14 million in the US; out of what's at best a 26-27 million install base for now, that's over 50% for the US. UK is probably like 10%? That leaves ~ 35% between rest of Europe, Asia, and ROTW. 

Anyway this is just a long way of saying that if the market percentages are near accurate regarding the region weights, it's very possible Xbox Series X & S haven't even sold much beyond 600K consoles...worldwide...in the first six months of this year. These are deathbed numbers for a console. Those are worst than Dreamcast and Gamecube in their worst periods, it's closer to some 3DO or 32X type of numbers. Series X & S could get outsold by the Steam Deck this year o.0"

He/she has a point.....  Series S/X might have only sold like 600k world wide, in the first half of this year.
If your rate of sales are this low.... doing another 12-13 million units, takes longer, that it will likely have.

Theres a good chance it doesn't hit 40m at its current rate.

Norion said:

It should be higher than 2.5m by then since while it only did 230k this May that month is a relatively weak one for console sales and June is a relatively strong one so it shouldn't sell just 200k that month. I don't see it only doing 1.5m then since that would be a massive drop from the nearly 2.9m it did last year. There should be a big drop but 2m seems a lot more realistic. The Xbox One did over twice as much as 1.5m then even in 2019 and the Xbox Series isn't far behind the pace of that year so far so that would be a far better comparison for it than 2020.

I do agree that the comeback potential for the Xbox Series seems non-existent. I just think you're being pessimistic about its sales trajectory to an unrealistic degree. It's gonna do worse than the Xbox One for sure but the drop will be closer to 10m than 15m unless the successor releases 2026.

XBSX started the year with 400k month, after that it had 2 months with 320 and 340k, and then not only May was 230k, but April was 200k as well. Don't ignore it. This becomes a pattern. 5 months into the year and the XBSX is down 50% monthly. Even if the drops doesn't continue (which is still under debate) it will make 200k per month, which is exactly 2.5M by October. Last year the holiday was (november+december) was 2.8M but last year all the months were in the 400-600k range. Now the range has become anything around 200k. So double drop. 1.5M for the holiday is reasonable given the latest drops and latest sales performance for the console. My expectations are not pessimistic, they are realistic given how sales are going this year up to this point. If they don't make something to change it a little bit then I don't see it making more than 4M. I will be happy if the console can do 5 or even 6M this year, which is still not something good, but given it's drops lately it will surely be nice. Maybe if they do some very agressive sale for the whole holiday period on the Series S for 199$ and Series X for 399$ there is a chance to reach 5M, but 6M is out of the question. Just see this flat line and tell me how it is going to go up from nothing ?

The best I can see it does is to have some boost in the end and reach the XB1 line or somewhere close to it +/- 200k

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 18 July 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:
Norion said:

XBSX started the year with 400k month, after that it had 2 months with 320 and 340k, and then not only May was 230k, but April was 200k as well. Don't ignore it. This becomes a pattern. 5 months into the year and the XBSX is down 50% monthly. Even if the drops doesn't continue (which is still under debate) it will make 200k per month, which is exactly 2.5M by October. Last year the holiday was (november+december) was 2.8M but last year all the months were in the 400-600k range. Now the range has become anything around 200k. So double drop. 1.5M for the holiday is reasonable given the latest drops and latest sales performance for the console. My expectations are not pessimistic, they are realistic given how sales are going this year up to this point. If they don't make something to change it a little bit then I don't see it making more than 4M. I will be happy if the console can do 5 or even 6M this year, which is still not something good, but given it's drops lately it will surely be nice. Maybe if they do some very agressive sale for the whole holiday period on the Series S for 199$ and Series X for 399$ there is a chance to reach 5M, but 6M is out of the question. Just see this flat line and tell me how it is going to go up from nothing ?

The best I can see it does is to have some boost in the end and reach the XB1 line or somewhere close to it +/- 200k

There's no guarantee at all that it'll stay at 200k per month going forward. In fact it would be very surprising if June isn't better than May since as I said June is a significantly stronger month for console sales than May. I don't think expecting a nearly 50% drop in November+December is realistic based on just a couple bad months that weren't 50% down from the same months last year. May was 30% down and it's 30% down so far this year overall so the question is why would it decline a lot more than that for the 2nd half of the year?

For that image the reason it'll easily exceed the Xbox One line by the end is it barely having a holiday boost so it'll shoot up like the 360 one did. 

JRPGfan said:

Mr Puggsly said:

Yes.

He/she has a point.....  Series S/X might have only sold like 600k world wide, in the first half of this year.
If your rate of sales are this low.... doing another 12-13 million units, takes longer, that it will likely have.

Theres a good chance it doesn't hit 40m at its current rate.

It's sold a lot more than 600k so far this year. As of the end of May the estimates from here have it at 1.5m.

Norion said:

There's no guarantee at all that it'll stay at 200k per month going forward. In fact it would be very surprising if June isn't better than May since as I said June is a significantly stronger month for console sales than May. I don't think expecting a nearly 50% drop in November+December is realistic based on just a couple bad months that weren't 50% down from the same months last year. May was 30% down and it's 30% down so far this year overall so the question is why would it decline a lot more than that for the 2nd half of the year?

For that image the reason it'll easily exceed the Xbox One line by the end is it barely having a holiday boost so it'll shoot up like the 360 one did. 

There's no guarantee it will boost itself up to 300k per month too (5 week months I can see them doing ~ 250k) June will be slightly better, because it is 5 week month. However the sales for Europe are out and you can see them per week. The sales per week are on the same level they were for May - between 15 and 18K. So no improvement there. We will have US data soon enough too. The year for the XBSX is going for a finish around the 4M mark. It won't be 50% drop for the year, it will be something like 40% drop. And that is if it can stay to 200K or more per month. Hopefully it doesn't go under. And yes, it will shoot up like the 360 one did. No doubt about that. Simply from ~ 2.5M to ~ 4M. This is decent shoot up. More than half of the sales for just 2 months.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 19 July 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

XtremeBG said:
Norion said:

There's no guarantee it will boost itself up to 300k per month too (5 week months I can see them doing ~ 250k) June will be slightly better, because it is 5 week month. However the sales for Europe are out and you can see them per week. The sales per week are on the same level they were for May - between 15 and 18K. So no improvement there. We will have US data soon enough too. The year for the XBSX is going for a finish around the 4M mark. It won't be 50% drop for the year, it will be something like 40% drop. And that is if it can stay to 200K or more per month. Hopefully it doesn't go under. And yes, it will shoot up like the 360 one did. No doubt about that. Simply from ~ 2.5M to ~ 4M. This is decent shoot up. More than half of the sales for just 2 months.

I still don't get why you're so sure it'll decline significantly more in November+December and the 2nd half of the year in general than it has for the year overall so far. I can accept the possibility of it failing to reach 5m in a worst cast scenario but there's no way it ends up closer to 4m than 5m by the end of the year so it's not gonna finish around 4m. For this month College Football 25 is coming out today and there's indications that it's gonna sell some consoles in the US so July could be a relatively decent month for the Xbox Series this year.

Last edited by Norion - on 19 July 2024

Mr Puggsly said:

Yes.

I still think 40 million is pretty much a lock and still have my signature at 48 million right now.

Hitting 50 or especially reaching high 50s like the One is going to be tough.

Xbox needs price cuts and a big GTA VI boost to hit above 44-49 million. The current discounts from Microsoft and retailers don't seem to be helping in the long run. PS5 and even the Blue Ocean and outdated Switch are still clobbering Xbox Series globally and in most markets. 

If Microsoft actually keeps Series S and X (or one of them) in production when the Fifth Xbox launches, they can probably eek out a 2-4 million at least as a budget-friendly console. While Microsoft has been happy to sell subscriptions and software on Xbox One even in 2024 and beyond, they dropped the hardware right as Xbox Series launched. That's a clear contrast from Xbox 360 hardware not getting discontinued until 2016 but Xbox 360 was a more successful and a bigger contrast in hardware design and ecosystem compared to the One to Series transition. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Norion said:

I still don't get why you're so sure it'll decline significantly more in November+December and the 2nd half of the year in general than it has for the year overall so far. I can accept the possibility of it failing to reach 5m in a worst cast scenario but there's no way it ends up closer to 4m than 5m by the end of the year so it's not gonna finish around 4m. For this month College Football 25 is coming out today and there's indications that it's gonna sell some consoles in the US so July could be a relatively decent month for the Xbox Series this year.

Because so far the drop has been steady unless there was an event that partially softened the drop. Last year there was the launch of Starfield and the insane discounts in Christmas. If there's none of that like there wasn't in Black Friday last year you can expect a 50% drop from two years ago which is the par of course meaning ~4.5M this year give or take depending on management and external factors.

I don't know why in the world College Football would make a difference for Xbox when PS5 is so far ahead even in the USA. A good month or two ain't gonna change anything. And runaway hits like Palworld didn't change anything either even being exclusive to Xbox in consoles and being on Game Pass.

The trend is there, I honestly don't know why you are so dead set ignoring it.