God of War II 239 19.75%

God of War: Chains of Olympus 13 1.07%

God of War: Ghost of Sparta 7 0.58%

God of War III 246 20.33%

God of War Ascension 14 1.16%

God of War (Norse) 223 18.43%

God of War: Ragnarok 202 16.69%

Total:1,202

This is tough cause I love the entire series, even the mobile game Betrayal (which should be remade btw).

Since the usual suspects are being brought up I'll say that I really enjoyed Ascension (combat is top-tier for the Greek series, maybe even the best), and Ghost of Sparta (good story and Arms of Sparta are a fantastic weapon).

I haven't played Ragnarok yet. Will wait for a deeper digital discount (I'm in no rush to play it right now).

But I do hope that if the rumours of the series being remastered are true, that it's not just a simple remaster. I want GoW2018 sequel graphics, accessibility options, butter smooth 60fps (120 vrr) - just look and run better that's all.

Around the Network

God of War (2018) I played earlier this year on PC and streamed it on Twitch. I loved the game and I am looking forward to playing Ragnarok once it releases on PC. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I played God of War 3, Ascension and 2018 (so the 'norse' one). Loved 3, but 2018 wasn't really what I was looking for in a God of War game, so I dropped it. God of War 3 therefore wins for me.

Ragnarok is the best, funny enough the franchise just keeps topping itself everytime.

I think the original is comfortably the weakest from the main 5 games, even if still a very good game.

From 2 onward it's just masterpiece after masterpiece. 2 is excellent but I still regard it a bit lower than the other 3 because of its ending, it was purposedly deceptive to tie it into the next game that I still can't fully forgive it, it really leaves a sour taste in the mouth having to just watch that character run away from your final blow and having to wait years and get a new, very expensive, console to final finish what you started.

3 is still the most iconic for me, it was really the coolest thing ever when it released, it's hard to believe they got everything as right as they did there, nonstop fun from start to finish.

4 and 5 being more rpg like really appeal to my personal tastes, both games are superb, and in my eyes still a bit better than 3, the new mythology felt really good, the new combat system is vastly different and still great, and it's still ridiculously cool and fun.

Can't wait for a new mythology, as we were teased another 2 different ones that may be coming.

This poll is so close for all of the mainline entries.

Around the Network

Nothing beats the original God of War.

BiON!@ 

SvennoJ said:

GoW 2018: For me the perfect balance between story, side quests and exploration (that slowly opens up more) and the classic battle mayhem GoW is known for.
Ragnarok didn't reach that balance for me and I never finished it.

Of the classic ones GoW II is my favorite.

Hear, hear! More or less my take. Ragnaroks story was bunk. 2018 was the best overall. From the classics, 2 or 1 is the best. 2 felt more fully realised. 1 was more iconic. Both lendary games. But 2018 just blew me away!

It's great to see so much love for the classic GoW games. I'm not really a fan of the series today. The visuals, storytelling and presentation are all top notch and they are good games, just not good GoW games to me. Maybe if we were still receiving both game types I'd be more accepting of the new direction, but personally, I much prefer the old style.

God of War 2 is the pinnacle to me. It took all of the things I liked from the first game and made it better, combined with excellent level design and incredible boss encounters. Both of the first two titles were my favorite exclusive games on the PS2.

Hard to choose any of these games they are all fantastic. I'd think I have to give it to GOW 2018 I like the themes presented in the story and the more free-roaming gameplay it introduced. I will say i don't think there's a game in this series I dislike.

Last edited by Eric2048 - on 02 January 2024

The original God of war (2005).

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts