God of War II 239 19.75%

God of War: Chains of Olympus 13 1.07%

God of War: Ghost of Sparta 7 0.58%

God of War III 246 20.33%

God of War Ascension 14 1.16%

God of War (Norse) 223 18.43%

God of War: Ragnarok 202 16.69%

Total:1,202

Wauw, the poll is almost a 5-way tie. I played through the original trilogy when they released. I also played a few hours of the reboot, it was solid enough in presentation, combat and narration, but to me the old style of action-platformer-hack-and-slash gameplay was a lot more unique. The old combat system also seemed to have more depth. A pretty consistent series overall though. I had to vote for God of War (2005), I remember how blown away I was when it released. The opening boss battle gotta be one of the most iconic in gaming history. I also really liked how you stayed in few locations for very long, really allowing the game to go in depth with these locations. 2 felt bigger and 3 felt even bigger than that, both great games, but the first one is more special to me.

Around the Network

For how beloved the franchise is, it’s a shame that I have yet to play any of the mainline entries. (also, 800+ votes…? Something seems off about that.)

firebush03 said:

For how beloved the franchise is, it’s a shame that I have yet to play any of the mainline entries. (also, 800+ votes…? Something seems off about that.)

Well, that would be a lot yes, but this poll is also on the front page, and then it's possible to vote multiple times so there is a discrepancy there. I'm not sure if front page polls can also be voted on by non-members.

No doubt the current saga is technically much superior, but as my preference goes the III is the best one as I do prefer the beat them up/hack & slash more than souls like combat of the newer ones and also the set pieces of the bosses and some battles on 3 are still unparalled.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:

Ragnarok is the best, funny enough the franchise just keeps topping itself everytime.

I think the original is comfortably the weakest from the main 5 games, even if still a very good game.

From 2 onward it's just masterpiece after masterpiece. 2 is excellent but I still regard it a bit lower than the other 3 because of its ending, it was purposedly deceptive to tie it into the next game that I still can't fully forgive it, it really leaves a sour taste in the mouth having to just watch that character run away from your final blow and having to wait years and get a new, very expensive, console to final finish what you started.

3 is still the most iconic for me, it was really the coolest thing ever when it released, it's hard to believe they got everything as right as they did there, nonstop fun from start to finish.

4 and 5 being more rpg like really appeal to my personal tastes, both games are superb, and in my eyes still a bit better than 3, the new mythology felt really good, the new combat system is vastly different and still great, and it's still ridiculously cool and fun.

Can't wait for a new mythology, as we were teased another 2 different ones that may be coming.

I remember Soul Reaver that you finished the first game and instead of an ending you got a "continue in Playstation 2" that I wasn't even aware would launch because well information at that time in Brazil was scarce (and well at the time I played it PS2 was already available in Japan).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
BraLoD said:

Ragnarok is the best, funny enough the franchise just keeps topping itself everytime.

I think the original is comfortably the weakest from the main 5 games, even if still a very good game.

From 2 onward it's just masterpiece after masterpiece. 2 is excellent but I still regard it a bit lower than the other 3 because of its ending, it was purposedly deceptive to tie it into the next game that I still can't fully forgive it, it really leaves a sour taste in the mouth having to just watch that character run away from your final blow and having to wait years and get a new, very expensive, console to final finish what you started.

3 is still the most iconic for me, it was really the coolest thing ever when it released, it's hard to believe they got everything as right as they did there, nonstop fun from start to finish.

4 and 5 being more rpg like really appeal to my personal tastes, both games are superb, and in my eyes still a bit better than 3, the new mythology felt really good, the new combat system is vastly different and still great, and it's still ridiculously cool and fun.

Can't wait for a new mythology, as we were teased another 2 different ones that may be coming.

I remember Soul Reaver that you finished the first game and instead of an ending you got a "continue in Playstation 2" that I wasn't even aware would launch because well information at that time in Brazil was scarce (and well at the time I played it PS2 was already available in Japan).

Yeah, nobody had internet/pc and rarely would we get gaming focused tv shows to properly cover gaming news.

I was still very young when the PS2 released, but I only got the PS1 after the PS2 was already released, and I had no clue about it too.

Was playing the Master System back in 1999, then 2000 I got to know the Mega Drive, SNES, N64 and PS1, 2000 was wild to me, but nothing to do with the PS2 haha

A 5 way tie, for me, demonstrates how great the series is. All 5 main games are fantastic.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah, nobody had internet/pc and rarely would we get gaming focused tv shows to properly cover gaming news.

I was still very young when the PS2 released, but I only got the PS1 after the PS2 was already released, and I had no clue about it too.

Was playing the Master System back in 1999, then 2000 I got to know the Mega Drive, SNES, N64 and PS1, 2000 was wild to me, but nothing to do with the PS2 haha

When I was 3 or 4 I was playing Atari (1988-1989), my father got us a Mega Drive when I was something betwen 5-7 (so 1990-1992).

I bought my PS1 when I was 15 in jan/2000 (so PS2 was already out, but I didn't really know yet), PS2 when I was 19 around May/2004 (PS3 was rumored at that time), PS3 I was 24 in August/2009, PS4 I was 29 Apr/2014 and PS5 I was 37 Nov/2022.

We had those gaming issues in paperback, but was quite expensive for me to buy when I had my Mega Drive and when I had the PS1 then internet was available but I didn't look for news site only walkthrough.

I personally don't like the recent entries drastic changes in gameplay, camera and controls.

Of the originals, I liked 3 the most, with Ghost of Sparta being a close second (really, what a marvel of a portable game this was).

I think GOW 2018 is the best, but i'm fine with any result. I mean, God of War is the most awarded IP ever in the D.I.C.E. Awards, with over 25 awards! It's such amazing series, most games are GoTY level.