By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation 5 sales pass 50m as of December 9th 2023

Zippy6 said:
Norion said:

I didn't expect the PS5 to catch up to the PS4 this quick but that shows just how huge the pent up demand got. Based on the recent months it's now selling a similar amount instead of notably outpacing it so it'll be interesting to see how closely it matches PS4's 2017 next year.

The amount gained over PS4 in Sep-Nov has been less compared to the Jun-Aug period. But 2016 was the strongest year for Sep-Nov for the PS4 and the PS5 still outsold it by 0.5m in this period. We'll see what happens next year but I expect PS5 sales will remain above 20m in 2024.

Since the PS4 did 19.7m in 2017 about 20m would fit. It's for sure gonna be down next year though sales will still be great.

Around the Network

SNES down. Next up xone and NES.

Wman1996 said:

I'm pretty sure Xbox One and PS4 to Xbox Series X/S and PS5 have to be the most similar platform totals YTD of any generation to the next in history.
PS4 is barely above the PS5 YTD right now, and it's similar with Xbox One compared to the Series.
What could shake things up is the replacement year. 2013-2020 was the launch to replacement cycle of both the Xbox One and PS4. The strong rumors right now are that the Fifth Xbox will launch in 2026 and PS6 will launch in 2028 (maybe 2027 at the earliest).
So realistically, a 2026-2027 launch for the Fifth Xbox and a 2027-2028 launch for PS6.
With the current YTD figures in mind, a PS6 launch in 2028 would likely mean PS5 would outsell PS4. And even if the Xbox Series X/S isn't discontinued right away when replaced (like the Xbox One was), a 2026 launch for the Fifth Xbox would likely mean the Xbox Series X/S falls short of Xbox One lifetime totals.

I am ready for generation like XB360/PS3. It would be so nice if things repeat themselves and we get generation similar or even more dynamic and interesting than the PS3/360. Next Xbox rushing out on the market just to be year or even 2 earlier would be exciting.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

I've got a new video up on YouTube. Feel free to watch me waffle on for nearly 10 minutes. If you want to show some support hit the like button, leave a comment, and subscribe. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I don't think Sony will meet their 25M projection.

However, the best year ever for PlayStation hardware sales is very much in play, and worst case scenario, FY23 should comfortably be higher than the PS4's peak year.

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:
Wman1996 said:

I'm pretty sure Xbox One and PS4 to Xbox Series X/S and PS5 have to be the most similar platform totals YTD of any generation to the next in history.
PS4 is barely above the PS5 YTD right now, and it's similar with Xbox One compared to the Series.
What could shake things up is the replacement year. 2013-2020 was the launch to replacement cycle of both the Xbox One and PS4. The strong rumors right now are that the Fifth Xbox will launch in 2026 and PS6 will launch in 2028 (maybe 2027 at the earliest).
So realistically, a 2026-2027 launch for the Fifth Xbox and a 2027-2028 launch for PS6.
With the current YTD figures in mind, a PS6 launch in 2028 would likely mean PS5 would outsell PS4. And even if the Xbox Series X/S isn't discontinued right away when replaced (like the Xbox One was), a 2026 launch for the Fifth Xbox would likely mean the Xbox Series X/S falls short of Xbox One lifetime totals.

I am ready for generation like XB360/PS3. It would be so nice if things repeat themselves and we get generation similar or even more dynamic and interesting than the PS3/360. Next Xbox rushing out on the market just to be year or even 2 earlier would be exciting.

It would make software and sales really interesting.  However, beating Sony to the punch again better not result in hardware failures. The Red Ring of Death was crazy common and would've been a lot less prevalent if Xbox 360 launched in 2006 like PS3 and Wii.

I have to imagine there were meetings at Xbox back in 2004-2005 that pretty much amounted to

"You have to get the next Xbox out by November 2005."

There have been shakeups in gaming history and we're gonna experience at least one more big one before consoles become largely irrelevant.

In regards as well to the 50 million milestone...

PS6 is all but guaranteed to hit in the future of gaming as well, even if PlayStation becomes a lot less popular.

NG/Switch 2 is all but guaranteed to pass 50 million, it will likely pass 100 million. 

Xbox Series X/S will likely surpass 50 million, even if it's replaced in 2026. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

It would make software and sales really interesting.  However, beating Sony to the punch again better not result in hardware failures. The Red Ring of Death was crazy common and would've been a lot less prevalent if Xbox 360 launched in 2006 like PS3 and Wii.

I have to imagine there were meetings at Xbox back in 2004-2005 that pretty much amounted to

"You have to get the next Xbox out by November 2005."

There have been shakeups in gaming history and we're gonna experience at least one more big one before consoles become largely irrelevant.

In regards as well to the 50 million milestone...

PS6 is all but guaranteed to hit in the future of gaming as well, even if PlayStation becomes a lot less popular.

NG/Switch 2 is all but guaranteed to pass 50 million, it will likely pass 100 million. 

Xbox Series X/S will likely surpass 50 million, even if it's replaced in 2026. 

No way Series X/S reaches 50M+ lifetime if they launch in 2026.

They'd cut off the legs of the Series consoles with the announcement of the next Xbox as well as potentially damaging consumer trust in the brand. 2027 is a lot more viable and it still provides Microsoft with a bit of an edge. 

Wman1996 said:

The Red Ring of Death really hurt them in Europe. The Xbox360 was not on the level of Playstation in Europe, but was doing ok. Then the Red Ring of Death happened.

I don't like to generalize but I have the impression there is a difference in culture between America and Europe when it comes how people deal with this. My impression of Americans is they are more willing to give a person/company a second chance, if that person/company makes a sincere apology and tries it's best to fix a F-up.

In Europe, at least mainland where I live, people are not that eager. The general impression of ex Xbox360 owners I know is that first Microsoft has to prove it can make a console that is reliable for 10+ years before considering spending money on Xbox again. That was one reason few transferred to XBOXone.

Series XS surprassing 50 million?

I don't know man, this seems very unlikely at the moment. Series XS sold just estimated 5.64 million units 2023-to-date.

And if Series sales continue to decline by the same percentages as we've seen just recently (and these rates really are bad only 3 years in), then I actually already wonder how Series XS will survive even next year.

Right now the Xbox Series sales curve is looking more like the N64's than the XBO's. Not that it can't revert the trend later on this gen, but that's what it's looking like.