By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation 5 sales pass 50m as of December 9th 2023

Panicradio said:

Series XS surprassing 50 million?

I don't know man, this seems very unlikely at the moment. Series XS sold just estimated 5.64 million units 2023-to-date.

And if Series sales continue to decline by the same percentages as we've seen just recently (and these rates really are bad only 3 years in), then I actually already wonder how Series XS will survive even next year.

I think people came into this year thinking this is the year Xbox would launch it must play games. It started on a high note with High Fi Rush. But then the 'Big' games Redfall and Starfield did not have the impact Xbox was hoping for, leaving (potential) Xbox buyers disillusioned. Only way to turn this around is having real Must Play games in 2024.

Around the Network
Tober said:
Panicradio said:

Series XS surprassing 50 million?

I don't know man, this seems very unlikely at the moment. Series XS sold just estimated 5.64 million units 2023-to-date.

And if Series sales continue to decline by the same percentages as we've seen just recently (and these rates really are bad only 3 years in), then I actually already wonder how Series XS will survive even next year.

I think people came into this year thinking this is the year Xbox would launch it must play games. It started on a high note with High Fi Rush. But then the 'Big' games Redfall and Starfield did not have the impact Xbox was hoping for, leaving (potential) Xbox buyers disillusioned. Only way to turn this around is having real Must Play games in 2024.

Another way to turn it around to hit 50 million or more is not discontinuing the Series X/S (or at least both of them) right as they're replaced. I'm well aware Xbox 360 isn't a fair comparison, but it still sold millions after Xbox One launched and it was still available for a few years.

Series X or especially S would be a great budget console when the next Xbox comes out, especially if there is wide cross-gen support like now. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Go PS5 Go PS5

BiON!@