By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation 5 sales pass 50m as of December 9th 2023

Zippy6 said:

Ampere is estimating 22.5m PS5 sales this year, 7.6m Xbox Series and 16.4m Nintendo Switch. Bit weird considering the year isn't over but they've apparently already come to these figures. All of these figures are relatively close to what VGChartz estimates are likely to be once December sales are added.

"PS5 sales grew about 65 per cent to 22.5mn units this year, according to Ampere estimates, while sales of the latest Xbox fell about 15 per cent to 7.6mn. Sales of Nintendo’s Switch, which debuted in 2017 and is likely to be replaced by a new console next year, fell 18 per cent to 16.4mn."

*Ampere uses Future Sight.*

Around the Network

I didn't expect the PS5 to catch up to the PS4 this quick but that shows just how huge the pent up demand got. Based on the recent months it's now selling a similar amount instead of notably outpacing it so it'll be interesting to see how closely it matches PS4's 2017 next year.

Norion said:

I didn't expect the PS5 to catch up to the PS4 this quick but that shows just how huge the pent up demand got. Based on the recent months it's now selling a similar amount instead of notably outpacing it so it'll be interesting to see how closely it matches PS4's 2017 next year.

The amount gained over PS4 in Sep-Nov has been less compared to the Jun-Aug period. But 2016 was the strongest year for Sep-Nov for the PS4 and the PS5 still outsold it by 0.5m in this period. We'll see what happens next year but I expect PS5 sales will remain above 20m in 2024.

Sold through over 50m :) almost exactly as fast as the PS4 did.
Considering it started off much worse... this has to be down to its sales growing over time, to above what the PS4 was doing around this time.
Basically PS5 is selling really well atm.

Now only leaves to see if the peak period will be stronger .. As this year will be stronger than PS4's even 2017, I expect next year to be stronger than 20M as well. Maybe 2025 will hover around the 20M number (-/+ 2M) And it will decline from 2026 onwards.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Around the Network

With this, the PS5 has outsold the SNES (49.10m) and is on it's way to the Xbox One (57.96m).

My 130M predicton sounds better every day.

I'm pretty sure Xbox One and PS4 to Xbox Series X/S and PS5 have to be the most similar platform totals YTD of any generation to the next in history.
PS4 is barely above the PS5 YTD right now, and it's similar with Xbox One compared to the Series.
What could shake things up is the replacement year. 2013-2020 was the launch to replacement cycle of both the Xbox One and PS4. The strong rumors right now are that the Fifth Xbox will launch in 2026 and PS6 will launch in 2028 (maybe 2027 at the earliest).
So realistically, a 2026-2027 launch for the Fifth Xbox and a 2027-2028 launch for PS6.
With the current YTD figures in mind, a PS6 launch in 2028 would likely mean PS5 would outsell PS4. And even if the Xbox Series X/S isn't discontinued right away when replaced (like the Xbox One was), a 2026 launch for the Fifth Xbox would likely mean the Xbox Series X/S falls short of Xbox One lifetime totals.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

The PS5 selling 22.5 Million would tie Playstations greatest selling year in history, tying with the PS2 in 2002 selling 22.5 Million, impressive.

Wman1996 said:

I'm pretty sure Xbox One and PS4 to Xbox Series X/S and PS5 have to be the most similar platform totals YTD of any generation to the next in history.
PS4 is barely above the PS5 YTD right now, and it's similar with Xbox One compared to the Series.
What could shake things up is the replacement year. 2013-2020 was the launch to replacement cycle of both the Xbox One and PS4. The strong rumors right now are that the Fifth Xbox will launch in 2026 and PS6 will launch in 2028 (maybe 2027 at the earliest).
So realistically, a 2026-2027 launch for the Fifth Xbox and a 2027-2028 launch for PS6.
With the current YTD figures in mind, a PS6 launch in 2028 would likely mean PS5 would outsell PS4. And even if the Xbox Series X/S isn't discontinued right away when replaced (like the Xbox One was), a 2026 launch for the Fifth Xbox would likely mean the Xbox Series X/S falls short of Xbox One lifetime totals.

I am very curious what the next generation will look like and how this would work with the companies strategies.

XBox wants gamepass on as many screens as possible. This would include non super powerful PC's, legacy consoles or something like smart TV's. Does XBox gaming really have an incentive to make games that need toplevel performance consoles?

Same reason for Games as a Service games. They need to be on as many screens as possible. Sony also wants to enter the GAAS market in a big way. Sure Sony also wants big narrative showstoppers, but those are really expensive and come out like perhaps once a year.

Indie games are doing really well and get better and better, and those will definitely not need a toplevel performance console.

We could be in a situation that the next level consoles will be more about lowering cost/price then going for a big jump in performance.