By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts February 2023 Discussion Thread

Welcome to the VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts monthly discussion thread for the February 2023 charts. Everyone is welcome to join the discussion and post any charts I forget to post. View the list of February 2023 articles here.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Link to the article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison in Japan - February 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in December 2004 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles do not lineup.

Switch Vs. DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 58,688 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,338,866 - Switch

Total Lead: 3,196,061 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 28,421,509

DS Total Sales: 31,617,570

February 2023 is the 72nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch has outsold the DS by 58,688 units when you align the launches.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the DS by 1.34 million units. The DS is currently ahead of the Switch by 3.20 million units.

The 72nd month for the Switch is February 2023, while for the DS it is November 2010. The Switch has sold 28.42 million units, while the DS sold 31.62 million units during the same timeframe. The DS sold current Switch sales in month 60.

The DS has sold 32.99 million units lifetime in Japan. The Switch is currently 4.57 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Switch slowly closing the gap; only question is whether it has enough momentum left to bridge the gulf before it's discontinued.
DS only has a few more months of meaningful sales, but it has built up a significant buffer as well.

Switch line begins to move closer and closer to flatline. I expect most of the normal weeks this year to be around 30 to 40k in Japan, at least till september/october.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

yo33331 said:

Switch line begins to move closer and closer to flatline. I expect most of the normal weeks this year to be around 30 to 40k in Japan, at least till september/october.

I feel like this might be a little premature. So far most weeks this year have been in the 50-70k range.

It will naturally slow down as it's over 6 years old now, but for the moment, a baseline under 40k for the next 5 months seems like a bit of a lowball.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I feel like this might be a little premature. So far most weeks this year have been in the 50-70k range.

It will naturally slow down as it's over 6 years old now, but for the moment, a baseline under 40k for the next 5 months seems like a bit of a lowball.

If you look at consoles lifecycle, the years after their peak ones, often show levels close to the previous year for 2-3 months of the start of each year (jan, feb, march) and often settle their baseline for the year after those first two/three months of sales. This will be the case with the Switch this year too (both in japan and globally). It may won't go below 40k, but I guarantee you it won't stay above 60k weekly baseline for the rest of the year.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 12 March 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

This is month 72. This chart goes to month 109 Switch will pass the DS Before month 100. Maybe even before month 93.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

If you look at consoles lifecycle, the years after their peak ones, often show levels close to the previous year for 2-3 months of the start of each year (jan, feb, march) and often settle their baseline for the year after those first two/three months of sales. This will be the case with the Switch this year too (both in japan and globally). It may won't go below 40k, but I guarantee you it won't stay above 60k weekly baseline for the rest of the year.

I don't doubt it will settle lower than it is currently, based on past years and it's age, I just don't think it's likely to settle in the 30-40k range just yet, as it still has some momentum behind it.

I think Switch will still have respectable sales this year in Japan. Just not sure if it will outsell the DS and Game Boy LT.

Link to the article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison in Japan - February 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020 in Japan, while the PlayStation 4 launched in February 2014. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 276,892 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 211,079 - PS5

Total Lead: 150,556 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 2,979,775

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 2,829,219

February 2023 is the 28th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 by 276,892 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS5 has outsold the PS4 by 211,079 units. The PS5 has taken the lead in the latest month and is now 150,556 units ahead.

The 28th month for the PS5 in Japan is February 2023, while for the PS4 it is May 2016. The PS5 has sold 2.98 million units, while the PS4 sold 2.83 million units during the same timeframe. The PS4 sold current PS5 sales in month 30.

The PS4 crossed 3 million units in Japan in month 30, 4 million in month 35, and 5 million in month 41. The PS4 has sold 9.60 million units to date. The PS5 is currently 6.62 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS4 in Japan.