By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts February 2023 Discussion Thread

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Link to the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US - February 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 252,764 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,644,555 - Switch

Total Lead: 552,741 - NS

Switch Total Sales: 40,253,007

Wii Total Sales: 39,700,266

February 2023 is the 72nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 252,764 units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 2.64 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the Wii by 552,741 units.

The 72nd month for the Nintendo Switch is February 2023 and for the Wii it is October 2012. The Switch has sold 40.25 million units, while the Wii sold 39.70 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 74.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 1.45 million units to outsell the Wii in the US.

That last 1.45m is gonna start to evaporate fast now that the Wii is more less at the end of its run.

Crazy that the Switch was once 7 million behind. Those legs are paying off.

it is a marathon and not a sprint. It is very unlikely a console is going to keep up with the Wii in the first few years. This has been a fun comparison to watch. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Link to the article here.

Switch vs Xbox 360 Sales Comparison in the US - February 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 launched in the US in November 2005, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Xbox 360 US:

Gap change in latest month:  110,179 - X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,166,058 - X360

Total Lead: 11,429,084 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 40,253,007

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 28,823,923

February 2023 is the 72nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Xbox 360 has outsold the Nintendo Switch by 110,179 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox 360 has outsold the Nintendo Switch by 1.17 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the Xbox 360 by 11.43 million units.

The 72nd month for the Nintendo Switch is February 2023 and for the Xbox 360 it is October 2011. The Switch has sold 40.25 million units, while the Xbox 360 sold 28.82 million units during the same timeframe. The Xbox 360 sold current Switch sales in month 89.

The Xbox 360 sold 43.75 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 3.50 million units to outsell the Xbox 360 in the US.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I think the Switch is going to end up at 45-47mil units.

The fact that 360 sells another 15 million, or more than a third of its total, from here on out shows what outstanding legs it had.
Still, Switch is a whopping 11 million ahead so it just has to stay the course and not completely collapse to win.

curl-6 said:

The fact that 360 sells another 15 million, or more than a third of its total, from here on out shows what outstanding legs it had.
Still, Switch is a whopping 11 million ahead so it just has to stay the course and not completely collapse to win.

I am sure that if they prolonged the 7th gen with 1 more year, and in 2012 sometime they did a price cut on the systems (like previous gens did in their later years) 360 would be able to reach 50M in US. There was decline in the holidays and in the years after the peak period of 2010 however the decline would have been much less pronounced if they did price cut in 2012, and the 8th gen launched in 2014 holidays.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

I am sure that if they prolonged the 7th gen with 1 more year, and in 2012 sometime they did a price cut on the systems (like previous gens did in their later years) 360 would be able to reach 50M in US. There was decline in the holidays and in the years after the peak period of 2010 however the decline would have been much less pronounced if they did price cut in 2012, and the 8th gen launched in 2014 holidays.

That generation was already longer than previous ones, especially in the case of the 360, which went 8 years before being replaced, double what the original Xbox did and longer then the vast majority of consoles including its own successor.

I am expecting this generation to be 8 years long (Or maybe even 9), rather than the usual 6 or 7 years.

trunkswd said:

I am expecting this generation to be 8 years long (Or maybe even 9), rather than the usual 6 or 7 years.

Yeah I expect it will go on longer too due to the companies wanting to make up for the lost ground after the first two years were so constrained. Game development has gotten more and more expensive and time consuming too, so I can't see them rushing to make it even more so.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Yeah I expect it will go on longer too due to the companies wanting to make up for the lost ground after the first two years were so constrained. Game development has gotten more and more expensive and time consuming too, so I can't see them rushing to make it even more so.

Yeah agreed. The cost to develop AAA games has skyrocketed. I wouldn't be surprised if the most expensive games are more than the most expensive movies. 

curl-6 said:

That generation was already longer than previous ones, especially in the case of the 360, which went 8 years before being replaced, double what the original Xbox did and longer then the vast majority of consoles including its own successor.

This does not change the fact.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts