By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts February 2023 Discussion Thread

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

That generation was already longer than previous ones, especially in the case of the 360, which went 8 years before being replaced, double what the original Xbox did and longer then the vast majority of consoles including its own successor.

This does not change the fact.

The "fact" is that it was out for 8 years and sold as it did historically though. You were talking about a hypothetical.

Around the Network

Link to the article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison - February 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 768,553 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,084,630 - PS4

Total Lead: 4,195,708 - PS4

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 33,536,456

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 37,732,164

February 2023 is the 28th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 by 0.77 million units.

In the last 12 months, the PS4 has outsold the PS5 by 2.08 million units. The PS4 is currently ahead of the PS5 by 4.20 million units.

The PS5 has sold 33.54 million units in 28 months, while the PS4 sold 37.73 million units. Month 28 for the PS5 is February 2023 and for the PS4 is February 2016.

The PS4 crossed 40 million units in month 31, 50 million in month 38, and 60 million in month 44. The PS4 has sold 117.01 million units to date. The PS5 is 83.47 million units behind lifetime PS4 sales.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Sales Comparison - February 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. XOne Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 113,454 - XSX|S

Gap change over last 12 months: 197,333 - XSX|S

Total Lead: 923,848 - XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 20,855,929

Xbox One Total Sales: 19,932,081

February 2023 is the 28th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox One by 113,454 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox Series X|S has grown its lead by 0.20 million units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 0.92 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 20.86 million units in 28 months, while the Xbox One sold 19.93 million units. Month 28 for the Xbox Series X|S is February 2023 and for the Xbox One is February 2016.

The Xbox One did not reach current Xbox Series X|S sales until month 31 when it sold 20.96 million units.

The Xbox One crossed 20 million in month 29, 30 million in month 46, and 40 million in month 61. The Xbox One has sold 51.26 million units lifetime. The Xbox Series X|S is 30.30 million units behind lifetime Xbox One sales.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Xbox Series X|S keeps Chugging along.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison - February 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The PlayStation 5 launched November 12, 2020 in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, and the rest of the world on November 19, 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched worldwide on November 10, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 1,240,875 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 6,805,792 - PS5

Total Lead: 12,680,527 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 33,536,456

February 2023 is the 28th month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.24 million units.

In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 5 has outsold the Xbox Series X|S by 6.81 million units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 12.68 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 33.54 million units in 28 months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 20.86 million units. The PlayStation 5 has a 61.7 percent marketshare (+2.0% year-over-year), compared to 38.3 percent for the Xbox Series X|S (-2.0% year-over-year).

The PlayStation 5 is currently 4.20 million units behind of the PlayStation 4 when you align launches and the Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Xbox One by 0.92 million units.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

February 2023 is the 28th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox One by 113,454 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox Series X|S has grown its lead by 0.20 million units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 0.92 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 20.86 million units in 28 months, while the Xbox One sold 19.93 million units. Month 28 for the Xbox Series X|S is February 2023 and for the Xbox One is February 2016.

The Xbox One did not reach current Xbox Series X|S sales until month 31 when it sold 20.96 million units.

The Xbox One crossed 20 million in month 29, 30 million in month 46, and 40 million in month 61. The Xbox One has sold 51.26 million units lifetime. The Xbox Series X|S is 30.30 million units behind lifetime Xbox One sales.

Selling so closely with the underperforming Xbone isn't a good look. It's ahead at least, but only by a hair.

Improving supply doesn't seem to have helped it much; those big games can't come soon enough.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Selling so closely with the underperforming Xbone isn't a good look. It's ahead at least, but only by a hair.

Improving supply doesn't seem to have helped it much; those big games can't come soon enough.

At this point the Xbox One sales declined every year. Plus the last holiday the Xbox Series X|S had no major 1st-party releases, while the Xbox One had Halo 5. I would think Xbox Series X|S would be higher this year than the last couple of years thanks to Starfield. 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

At this point the Xbox One sales declined every year. Plus the last holiday the Xbox Series X|S had no major 1st-party releases, while the Xbox One had Halo 5. I would think Xbox Series X|S would be higher this year than the last couple of years thanks to Starfield. 

Let's hope so; I would've expected sales to increase now that the chip crunch has abated but XS remains idling in low gear. A lot hangs on Starfield being great, and on establishing a sustainable cadence of big first party games in the long term so that they don't suffer any more slow years like 2022.

If they can't manage to do that, then perhaps XS will have peaked already.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Let's hope so; I would've expected sales to increase now that the chip crunch has abated but XS remains idling in low gear. A lot hangs on Starfield being great, and on establishing a sustainable cadence of big first party games in the long term so that they don't suffer any more slow years like 2022.

Starfield is the real test to see what a big AAA game can do. IMO it is more important than Halo Infinite was. It has the potential to move several million consoles by itself. Redfall also comes out in about a month. Not that I would expect that game to sell a lot of consoles. 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Starfield is the real test to see what a big AAA game can do. IMO it is more important than Halo Infinite was. It has the potential to move several million consoles by itself. Redfall also comes out in about a month. Not that I would expect that game to sell a lot of consoles. 

If Starfield underwhelms, they're in trouble, as nothing else on the horizon has as much potential to push hardware sales. And yeah, Redfall isn't a game I'd expect to sell a lot of systems. Still, if it's good it could help improve the system's reputation a bit.