By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2023 VGChartz Estimates + Changes

trunkswd said:
siebensus4 said:

I prefer one article with worldwide, USA, Europe and Japan, just like you did it with week 112. It's easier to get an overview. ^^

Thank you for the response! Greatly appreciated. That does make my life easier doing just one of them per month rather than splitting it up into multiple articles. 

I think it depends on when the numbers are posted, as this month they were all posted within a few days of each other I think a single article summing everything up after global was posted would have been fine. I imagine going forward there will be a large gap between Japan and the rest as Famitsu has already posted 8-weeks of data so if you are posting one region potentially well over a week before global figures then a separate article might make more sense.

But if one or more regions are being posted within a few days of global I think it makes sense to just wait rather than create an article just for them.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
trunkswd said:

Thank you for the response! Greatly appreciated. That does make my life easier doing just one of them per month rather than splitting it up into multiple articles. 

I think it depends on when the numbers are posted, as this month they were all posted within a few days of each other I think a single article summing everything up after global was posted would have been fine. I imagine going forward there will be a large gap between Japan and the rest as Famitsu has already posted 8-weeks of data so if you are posting one region potentially well over a week before global figures then a separate article might make more sense.

But if one or more regions are being posted within a few days of global I think it makes sense to just wait rather than create an article just for them.

Another good point. It will depend on the month. Most months the data will be posted within 2 or so weeks of each other. BUT February data will be rather spread out. February Japan data I will likely post March 6, 7, or 8 depending on how long it takes me to get through the January monthly sales comparison articles. UK and Europe monthly data is usually posted in the middle of a month. While US monthly data for February isn't being posted until the end of March.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Unsurprisingly the PS5 did wonders this month and it's gonna do even better in February. Being up so much compared to the PS4 is a strong start to closing the gap. The Switch held up better than I expected being only 14% down though it should be down more next month and Xbox Series is very mixed in that while it's up significantly compared to how the Xbox One did it's still down a lot compared to last January. It'll keep increasing its lead over its predecessor the coming months but it's not in a good place currently so hopefully that changes the 2nd half of the year. Overall a good start to the year but Xbox Series picking up steam will turn things great.

Being down this early while the stock increases is not a good sign.

Currently you can even buy the Series X on Amazon Germany and France, it comes with a Forza Horizon 5 bundle, a game released in 2021.

They really need to have Starfield at some point.

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2023 Sales Comparison Charts Through January 2023

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2020 – (January 2020)

2021 – (January 2021)

2022 – (January 2022)

2023 – (January 2023)

"Year to date" sales for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2023 versus 2022 and 2023 versus 2021 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 0.46 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 148,629 units (-24.5%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 1.14 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 187,998 units (-14.2%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 1.26 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 549,233 units (+77.5%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.01 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 56,474 (-79.3%)
Last edited by trunkswd - on 24 February 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Month 27

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 34,465,781
  2. PS5: 31,767,146
  3. XSX|S: 20,683,634

Through the first 27 months available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 2.70 million units units and is 13.78 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 11.08 million units.

The Switch has sold 34.47 million in 27 months worldwide, while the PS5 sold 31.77 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 20.68 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 27 months, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 39.7 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 36.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 23.8 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 12,383,131
  2. Switch: 11,940,039
  3. XSX|S: 9,965,429

Through the first 27 months available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.44 million units and is 2.42 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.97 million units.

The PS5 has sold 12.38 million in 27 months in the US, while the Switch sold 11.94 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 9.97 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 27 months, the PS5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 36.1 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 34.8 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 29.1 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe:

1. PS5: 9,832,357
  2. Switch: 8,879,732
  3. XSX|S: 5,526,631

Through the first 27 months available in Europe the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.95 million units and is 4.31 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 3.35 million units.

The PS5 has sold 9.83 million in 27 months in Europe, while the Switch sold 8.88 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 5.53 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 27 months, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 40.6 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 36.6 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.8 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 8,267,707
  2. PS5: 2,612,745
  3. XSX|S: 406,752

Through the first 27 months available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.65 million units and is 7.86 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 2.21 million units.

The Switch has sold 8.27 million units in 27 months in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 2.61 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.41 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 112 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 73.3 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 23.1 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.6 percent.

Those Xbox sales on Europe are kinda Yikes.

trunkswd said:

Can I ask how is the Xbox Series currently doing vs Xbox One launch aligned? I was searching the tools and articles but can't find it.

Dallinor said:
trunkswd said:

Can I ask how is the Xbox Series currently doing vs Xbox One launch aligned? I was searching the tools and articles but can't find it.

I'll be posting the monthly sales comparison articles starting tomorrow. It will take a couple of weeks to post them all. However I will say the Xbox Series is still ahead of the Xbox One, but the gap shrank quite a bit over the holidays. 

Dallinor said:

Lifetime Console Showdown - January 2023 + Charts

You can check my chart here, It's still slightly above the XB1 at this point in time.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts