By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2023 VGChartz Estimates + Changes

Zippy6 said:

Seems like there's good chances PS5 could break the 1m mark for global January sales.

I hate to spoil things, but yes the PS5 (and Switch) sold over 1 million units in January according to the estimates we have. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

I understand that the website is trying to report more accurate numbers ... however, I believe switching to monthly data is not the approach to go.

The website will lose an edge as there are many services or even leaks (i.e NPD) that provides monthly data... and most times it is more accurate.

I addition, I think this means less traffic on website since people interested in numbers know that it will be only once a month visit rather than a weekly visit.

Just my 2 cents......

While I understand the monthly shift, I think a lot of unregistered visitors (most of the web traffic), and even some registered members will probably visit the site a lot less.

At the end of the day, I just care about good estimates, even if they only come a month at a time.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

It took 2 over years, and of course it's still somewhat silly in a way to be fascinated by hardware sales, but then again that's what's hobbies sometimes are - a bit silly but yet entertaining.

So, it took over 2 years, but it's really nice to see and recognize that PS5/Sony has finally reached a phase of much increased supply and sales.

I remember these days with sales barely above 100k and news all around them saying "The supply issues of CPUs will probably last for some years". And it felt so "Damn, two to three years of this?" kind of exhausting.

Better sales are of course just better sales in the first place. But with a strong growing hardware base there are SO many benefits coming along with it. And that it is why I am so excited about PS5 sales finally reaching a healthy state. And we still haven't reached the peak, yet.

I am not thrilled by everything Sony has done in the past two to three years. But, man, the Playstation brand, with all due respect to Microsoft (and I really cheer for eye-to-eye sales actually), the Playstation brand in my eyes is, at least of today, the brand that still has the most value to me personally. With PSVR2 coming next.

I wish PS5 (and XSXS) a great year in sales and am happy to see hardware sales growing so steadily.

I'd appreciate if we still would get weekly numbers, even if it's only on the front page without an article. But I understand if it's too much work for William to do it weekly and correct the numbers afterwards. I like the monthly numbers and articles. ^^

Around the Network

I know January estimates are all being posted over the course of a single week. However, things will be more spread out starting with February estimates. Japan data will be posted first in early March, Europe in mid-March once the UK and Europe data we get monthly comes in, then the Americas towards the end of March once the US monthly data comes out. And after that worldwide. 

The monthly sales comparison articles will remain the same as before. While I won't be doing them for January as things are delayed enough, I do plan on doing the Sales Comparison Charts for the Americas, Europe and Japan, along with the already worldwide ones. (https://www.vgchartz.com/article/456093/ps5-vs-xbox-series-xs-vs-switch-2022-sales-comparison-charts-through-december-31/)

One question for you all. The launch aligned sales comparison article I do has worldwide, USA, Europe, and Japan data. Would you all be interested in me splitting that into 4 articles? So I do them once the data for each region is posted? (https://www.vgchartz.com/article/456094/ps5-vs-xbox-series-xs-vs-switch-launch-sales-comparison-through-week-112/)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Europe Hardware Estimates for January 2023

Link to VGChartz article here.

The PlayStation 5 was the best-selling console in Europe with 406,910 units sold for January 2023, according to VGChartz estimates. The PlayStation 5 has now sold an estimated 9.83 million units lifetime in Europe.

The Nintendo Switch sold an estimated 336,316 units to bring its lifetime sales to 31.09 million units. The Xbox Series X|S sold 100,121 units to bring their lifetime sales to 5.53 million units. The PlayStation 4 sold an estimated 3,225 units to bring its lifetime sales to 45.93 million units.

PS5 sales compared to the same month for the PS4 in 2016 are up by over 50,000 units, while the Xbox Series X|S compared to the same month for the Xbox One are down by over 5,000 units. PS4 sold 356,732 units for the month of January 2016 and Xbox One sales were at 105,202 units.

PlayStation 5 sales compared to the same month a year ago are up by 247,080 (154.6%). Nintendo Switch sales are down by 30,560 units (-8.3%) and Xbox Series X|S sales are down by 33,859 units (-25.3%). The PlayStation 4 is down 26,621 units (-89.2%) year-over-year.

Looking at sales month-on-month, the PlayStation 5 sales are down by over 342,000 units, Nintendo Switch sales are down by over 830,000 units, and Xbox Series X|S sales are down by over 343,000 units. It should be noted this is comparing January 2023 estimates to December 2022 estimates, the biggest sales month of the year.

Monthly Sales:

Europe hardware estimates for January 2023 (Followed by lifetime sales):

1. PlayStation 5 - 406,910 (9,832,357)
  2. Switch - 336,316 (31,088,619)
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 100,121 (5,526,631)
  4. PlayStation 4 - 3,225 (45,930,970)

Weekly Sales:

Europe January 7, 2023 hardware estimates:

1. PlayStation 5 - 120,900
  2. Switch - 116,076
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 28,456
  4. PlayStation 4 - 863

Europe January 14, 2023 hardware estimates:

1. PlayStation 5 - 82,636
  2. Switch - 74,415
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 22,461
  4. PlayStation 4 - 794

Europe  January 21, 2023 hardware estimates:

1. PlayStation 5 - 96,303
  2. Switch - 71,951
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 22,595
  4. PlayStation 4 - 775

Europe January 28, 2023 hardware estimates:

1. PlayStation 5 - 107,071
  2. Switch - 73,874
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 26,609
  4. PlayStation 4 - 793

VGChartz Methodology: Hardware estimates are based on retail sampling and trends in individual countries, which are then extrapolated to represent the wider region. This typically allows us to produce figures that end up being within 10% of the actual totals.

This data is regularly compared against official shipment figures released by the console manufacturers and figures estimated by regional trackers with greater market coverage than ourselves. We then update our own estimates to bring them into line with those figures. This can result in frequent changes often within a short space of time, but we feel it's important to prioritise accuracy over consistency.

Note that our estimates are based on sell-through data (units sold to consumers). In almost all cases the figures released by console manufacturers are based on shipment data (sell-in), where as soon as a device has left the factory and entered the supply chain for delivery it is considered a sale. This is why there is always a difference between the companies’ figures (sell-in) and VGChartz estimates (sell-through), even after we’ve made adjustments. The one exception to that is when a console has been discontinued and the remaining stock has finally sold out – at that point the figures will match.

I assume global is still TBA because there is still RoW figures to add? Excellent result from PS5 and a decent result from the Switch too. Much lower drop on EU than Japan

Zippy6 said:

I assume global is still TBA because there is still RoW figures to add? Excellent result from PS5 and a decent result from the Switch too. Much lower drop on EU than Japan

You would be correct as to why global is still TBA. Though technically global is automatically done with whatever figures we have posted, so we just have global hidden on the Hardware Charts until all the data is input.

Global will be out tomorrow.

The Xbox barely made the 100k mark for the month, despite the great availability of the Series S. Maybe @Shadow1980 has a point here: people are now waiting for the Series X