By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 6, 2023 (30 Jan - 05 Feb)

So Xbox and PS5 absolutely flooding Japan with systems right now, and getting crazy sales for it. Yet, not a single PS5 game on the top 10...is this just like Chinese sellers buying up all the Japanese PS5 stock?? Cuz if 93k people (76k non-digital-edition) in Japan bought at PS5 this week the system should have had several games charting above Momotaro's 4480 sales.

I feel like the majority of those PS5 systems are just getting shipped off to China and Japanese sales are still only like 20k with all this stock available.

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:

There seems to be some confusion about the Switch software domination but I not really that confused. Consider this:

There are roughly 10x as many Switch units out in Japan as PS5 units. Even if the PS5 outsells the Switch for most of the year I would still expect the Switch to move more software.

You sound confused.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

PS5 domination starts now since the stocks are there.

Looks like the chinese scalpers have returned to Xbox this week. Let's see if they keep this interest moving forward.

CosmicSex said:

There seems to be some confusion about the Switch software domination but I not really that confused. Consider this:

There are roughly 10x as many Switch units out in Japan as PS5 units. Even if the PS5 outsells the Switch for most of the year I would still expect the Switch to move more software.

The threshold for getting into the Top 10 this week is 4480 units. Usually a console selling like the PS5 should be able to cross that line with a few titles.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Xbox bump is due to the price hike. Don't read much into it.

For PS5... I have no doubt that it has a much higher digital ratio than people think and it hopefully will be confirmed soon, but this isn't nearly enough to explain the physical software situation.

Is Sony even officially shipping PS5s to other asian countries? If most of those are actually being imported by China, that would be crazy impressive. Last I checked, MediaCreate shows PS5 software (physical) in Taiwan and South Korea selling quite poorly too, and it's unrealistic to expect most of those going to China because this implies a breakthrough there, and why wouldn't Sony prioritize shipping to China if this is the case? The console came out over 2 years ago.

To sell 93k units and still not have a single game on the top 10 is an enigma. I get it... digital ratios, services and f2p growth, asian countries importing, and perhaps backwards compatibility are partly to blame... but these just aren't enough to explain this week's weirdness.

Go xbox! Crush the 360! (although 360 is my favorite xbox, the brand have to get better and better each next gen)

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Fantastic PS5 sales. I've heard that Harry Potter is popular in Japan so that should make at least a bit of a splash next week and help keep momentum going this month. With how bad software software sales for it have been that and later FF16 will both help show how much improvement there will be on that end this year.

Last edited by Norion - on 09 February 2023

RolStoppable said:
CosmicSex said:

You sound confused.

No I'm not confused.  But, thanks for the input.  

Ps5 might sell on par or even better then the switch this year