By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts November 2022 Discussion Thread

curl-6 said:

What was the gap between PS4 and Xbox One at this point in their lives?

Double

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - November 2022 (Final Update)

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 2,251,129 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,612,658 - Switch

Total Lead: 19,046,486 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 117,269,529

PS4 Total Sales: 98,223,043

November 2022 is the 69th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by just 2.25 million units when compared to the PS4 during the same timeframe.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PS4 by 3.61 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PS4 by 19.05 million units.

The 69th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is November 2022, while for the PlayStation 4 it is July 2019. The Switch has sold 117.27 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 98.22 million units during the same timeframe.

This month the Nintendo Switch has now outsold lifetime PlayStation 4 sales. The Switch's 117.27 million units sold is above the 117.03 million the PS4 has sold lifetime.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The final update for Switch vs PS4 happened sooner than probably most people expected. It having a nearly 20m lead soon before the PS4 has its last notable holiday season shows just how likely it is for the Switch to go past 150m and potentially overtake the DS and PS2.

It's been a long time coming, but so satisfying to see the final update in the nearly 6-year-long Switch vs PS4 marathon. A battle for the ages, over at last.
This outcome would've seemed absurd back when the Switch came out, yet here we are.

curl-6 said:

It's been a long time coming, but so satisfying to see the final update in the nearly 6-year-long Switch vs PS4 marathon. A battle for the ages, over at last.
This outcome would've seemed absurd back when the Switch came out, yet here we are.

I wouldn't have called this before the Switch came out. It is well deserved. Now here is hoping the Switch successor is close enough in power to the Series S that downgrading games to run on it won't be too hard for developers to do. So maybe it will have more 3rd party support. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 and Xbox Series X|S vs PS4 and Xbox One Sales Comparison – November 2022

This monthly series compares the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S with the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

Gap change in latest month: 1,331,735 - PS4 & XOne

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,866,187 - PS4 & XOne

Total Lead: 1,217,009 - PS4 & XOne

Total Combined PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales: 47,230,883

Total Combined PS4 and Xbox One Sales: 48,447,892

In November 2022, the gap grew in favor of the combined sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S in the last month by 1.33 million units.

In the last 12 months, the PS4 and Xbox One has sold 1.87 million units more than the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S are currently behind by 1.22 million units.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S in their first 25 months sold a combined 47.23 million units, while the PS4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 48.45 million units. Month 25 is November 2022 for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, while for the PS4 and Xbox One it is November 2015.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 168.31 million units after 109 months.

Feeling pretty good about my bet; PS5 and XS only have to sell another 9 million by the end of next year.

@curl-6 PS5 & XSX could do 9 million by themselves by end of next year, easily.

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox 360 Sales Comparison - November 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox 360.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox 360 launched in November 2005 in North America and December 2005 in Europe and Japan. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. X360 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 861,350 - XSX|S

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,480,325 - XSX|S

Total Lead 5,974,979 - XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 19,674,577

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 13,699,598

November 2022 is the 25th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox 360 by 0.86 million units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox Series X|S has grown its lead over the Xbox 360 by 2.48 million units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 5.97 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 19.67 million units in 25 months, while the Xbox 360 sold 13.70 million units. Month 25 for the Xbox Series X|S is November 2022 and for the Xbox 360 is November 2007.

The Xbox 360 did not reach current Xbox Series X|S sales until month 33 where it had sold 19.74 million units.

The Xbox 360 crossed 20 million units sold in month 34, 30 million in month 43, and 40 million in month 54. The Xbox 360 sold 85.73 million units lifetime.

Xbox Series has a big chance of outselling the 360. Series S being cheaper and not that hard to find must be helping a lot.

Here in Brazil, a country known for it's abusive prices on gaming related things, some stores are promoting the Series S with an "accessible" price. Sometimes, it can be found cheaper than some Nintendo Switch models..