By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts November 2022 Discussion Thread

curl-6 said:

Switch has shown incredible legs, but even the most successful systems slow down eventually, and the Switch is about to turn 6 years old, so it's no surprise it's gradually slowing from a full on sprint to a jog.

I feel like 2023 would be the right time for a successor; this year or sooner would have been premature and a stupid move to cut short such a wildly successful system, but if they wait too long they could risk losing momentum and fumbling the transition.

A 2023 successor with crossgen support for the Switch through 2024 would be the best move in my opinion.

The PS4 got replaced the year after it had a 13.5m calendar year and that was the right time, because as a console manufacturer you want to sell 10m+ consoles each and every year in order to keep software sales/subscriptions high. The PS4's trajectory was one that was going to put it on the edge of 10m in calendar year 2020, so the PS5 came at the right time (ignoring outside factors such as COVID-19 which led to unforeseen chip shortages).

Switch is on pace to sell around 20m units in 2020, so there's no danger for Nintendo to fall below the 10m threshold, meaning software sales will remain high; and it's software which brings in the most profit in Nintendo's business. Right now Switch is similar to the DS, with both selling around 20m units in their respective sixth year. Nintendo cut the DS short which then in turn crippled the 3DS, because it launched before enough software was ready. Back then there was at least the reasoning to beat Sony to the punch for next gen handhelds, but this time around there's no pressure whatsoever. It would be very boneheaded to plan for a 2023 Switch successor when there's still plenty of life left for Switch. Development times for games have only kept getting longer, so if the 3DS came to soon when it launched six years after the DS, then a Switch successor sure as well would be coming too soon six and a half years after Switch (assuming a fall 2023 launch).

The risk of losing momentum is a fundamentally flawed premise. We've seen it often enough that success or failure of one system doesn't have to mean anything for the follow-up system, especially in Nintendo's history. Fumbling the transition is a valid concern, but fumbling is what will occur with a launch that is coming too early and be on the back of cross-gen games. In that scenario the Switch successor would have no defining games on its own for a year, and the Switch successor won't have the benefit of Switch where gamers were eager to avoid playing games on the predecessor. Something like Breath of the Wild as a cross-gen release worked for Switch because nobody wanted the Wii U anyway.

And if none of the above has convinced you yet, just think of Nintendo's top development teams and their release schedule as of late. Splatoon 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 in 2022, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC in 2022 and 2023, Tears of the Kingdom in 2023, a rumored release of an EPD Tokyo game in 2023. That's unusual for a Nintendo console, to have so many of the top teams still releasing so many games at this stage of the lifecycle. Nothing is going to change for next generation as far as Nintendo consoles are concerned: Nintendo's best games will have to carry the system early on, because third parties cannot be relied on. The way Switch's release schedule has looked, it's unrealistic for Nintendo to stack enough games for the Switch's successor's first year if the new system launches in 2023. By all accounts, it just makes more sense to prolong Switch's life with another revision in 2023 and buy Nintendo's developers enough time to start strong out of the gates whenever the next generation launches.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Wii Sales Comparison - November 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Wii.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Wii launched in November 2006. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. Wii Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 1,144,954 - Wii

Gap change over last 12 months: 10,158,555 - Wii

Total Lead: 10,365,617 - Wii

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 27,556,306

Wii Total Sales: 37,921,923

November 2022 is the 25th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo Wii when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 1.14 million units.

In the last 12 months, the Nintendo Wii has outsold the PlayStation 5 by 10.16 million units. The Nintendo Wii is ahead of the PlayStation 5 by 10.37 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 27/56 million units in 25 months, while the Nintendo Wii sold 37.92 million units. Month 25 for the PlayStation 5 is November 2022 and for the Nintendo Wii it is November 2008.

The Nintendo Wii crossed 40 million in month 26, 50 million in month 32, and 60 million in month 38. The Nintendo Wii sold 101.63 million units lifetime.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison in the US - November 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched in the US on November 10, 2020, and the PlayStation 5 on November 12, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S US:

Gap change in latest month: 66,028 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 17,029 - XS

Total Lead: 1,007,802 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 10,324,530

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 9,316,728

November 2022 is the 25th month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 66,028 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox Series X|S has outsold PlayStation 5 by 17,029 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 1.01 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 10.32 million units in the US in 25 months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 9.32 million units. The PlayStation 5 has a 52.6 percent marketshare (-2.7% year-over-year), compared to 47.4 percent for the Xbox Series X|S (+2.7% year-over-year).

The PlayStation 5 is currently 0.62 million units behind the PlayStation 4 in the US when you align launches, while the Xbox Series X|S is behind the Xbox One by 0.57 million.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I hope everyone has been enjoying the holidays. I've been taking it easy this week seeing family and friends. 

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US - November 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 1,015,999 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,259,062 - Switch

Total Lead: 1,014,147 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 38,474,243

Wii Total Sales: 39,488,390

November 2022 is the 69th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Switch has caught up with the Wii when you align the launches by 1.02 million units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 2.26 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 1.01 million units.

The 69th month for the Nintendo Switch is November 2022 and for the Wii it is July 2012. The Switch has sold 38.47 million units, while the Wii sold 39.49 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 62.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 3.23 million units to outsell the Wii.

Around the Network

Yeah the Wii's days are numbered in short digits now; it sold great, but the Switch is just on another level.

Share the article here.

Switch vs Xbox 360 Sales Comparison in the US - November 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 launched in the US in November 2005, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Xbox 360 US:

Gap change in latest month:  820,127 - NS

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,175,478 - X360

Total Lead: 10,770,527 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 38,474,243

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 27,703,716

November 2022 is the 69th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Nintendo Switch has outsold the Xbox 360 by 0.82 million units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox 360 has outsold the Nintendo Switch by 1.18 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the Xbox 360 by 10.77 million units.

The 69th month for the Nintendo Switch is November 2022 and for the Xbox 360 it is July 2011. The Switch has sold 38.47 million units, while the Xbox 360 sold 27.70 million units during the same timeframe. The Xbox 360 sold current Switch sales in month 86.

The Xbox 360 sold 43.75 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 5.28 million units to outsell the Xbox 360.

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS3 Sales Comparison in Europe - November 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation 3 launched in Europe in March 2007, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

Switch Vs. PS3 Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 143,167 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 832,848 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,515,511 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 29,638,475

PS3 Total Sales: 25,122,964

November 2022 is the 69th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Nintendo Switch has grown its lead over the PlayStation 3 by 143,167 units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 3 by 0.83 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 3 by 4.52 million units.

The 69th month for the Nintendo Switch in Europe is November 2022 and for the PlayStation 3 it is November 2012. The Switch has sold 29.63 million units, while the PlayStation 3 has sold 25.12 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 3 did not reach current Switch sales until month 94.

The PlayStation 3 sold 30.87 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 1.23 million units to catch up to the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 3.

Switch outsold the PS3 in Europe, that is not an easy task.

I'm not sure about the PS4, though. If Switch gets replaced by 2024, I don't see it happening unless it keeps selling for a very long time.

Outselling any Playstation home console in Europe is a tall order.