By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Confirms 63.7m Xbox Install Base as of 31 December 2021

That's a lawyer alright.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
EpicRandy said:

All those statement you highlighted are true though so how is MS twisting things exactly?

Well when you compare it to all statements about the last 2 years where they keep telling how the revenue of Xbox division was better than ever, and how they were the best selling console (1) (2) (3)

(1) only in the US

(2) only for a specific month

(3) only amongst "next gen consoles"

it kind of ironic how the turntables can turn when the message should be saying otherwise.

Do you see my point ? If not, it's okay, I believe it's the same kind of battle it is pointless to even have a draw in it. I recall some guy explaining on Twitter that of course MS doesn't share profit/loss of Xbox brand cause it's too much complicated to calculate these things. I believe it's a similar situation here.

Like I previously said, giving your current interpretation of Microsoft statement i'm not in the slightest surprised of your interpretation of past statement.

"Well when you compare it to all statements about the last 2 years where they keep telling how the revenue of Xbox division was better than ever"
Are they wrong, looks pretty much on point to me.

"and how they were the best selling console (1) (2) (3)"
Speaking of twisting words here the actual quote instead of the one you made up.
(From Satya Nadella during an earnings call )
"Our ambition is to empower gamers to play when, and how, and where they want. With our Xbox Series S and X consoles, we have taken share globally for two quarters in a row and we are the market leader this quarter among the next-gen consoles in the United States, Canada, UK, and Western Europe."

"(1) only in the US"
Actually United States, Canada, UK, and Western Europe and unlike you insinuated it was clearly stated

"(2) only for a specific month"
actually 1 quarter and again unlike you insinuated it was clearly stated

"(3) only amongst "next gen consoles"
and again unlike you insinuated it was clearly stated

"it kind of ironic how the turntables can turn when the message should be saying otherwise."
It's kind of ironic how this statement apply more to your own than those by MS

"Do you see my point"
Actually yes you twist past MS statements in trying to justify twisting current ones to show how much MS do twist statements. it ain't working though.

"If not, it's okay, I believe it's the same kind of battle it is pointless to even have a draw in it."
Funny how it become pointless when you can't support your own statement.

"I recall some guy explaining on Twitter that of course MS doesn't share profit/loss of Xbox brand cause it's too much complicated to calculate these things. I believe it's a similar situation here."
Why would I care about a rando on twitter you can't even quote or share a tweet from.

Sorry I don't really want to read it, cause as I said, it's a lost battle, so if you can't fight it, embrace it, so let's say you're all correct and I'm wrong.

SKMBlake said:

Sorry I don't really want to read it, cause as I said, it's a lost battle, so if you can't fight it, embrace it, so let's say you're all correct and I'm wrong.

Yeah right, of course you didn't read it  

But if you agree you're wrong, put your money where your mouth is and change the title back to align with reality than.

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 13 October 2022

What a fun read.

Around the Network

These numbers are close enough to VGChartz that I’m inclined to believe that VGChartz is still highly accurate with its Xbox numbers.

I also think Ampere is badly under tracking Xbox and those numbers can now be safely discarded

will there be adjustments on the XBOX numbers on the site?

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

yo33331 said:

From this? No, as it didn't provide a breakdown for the Xbox install base. Our Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S at the end of 2021 were a bit below the 63.7M figures. But well within the margin of error. 

At the end of 2021 we have:

• X1: 50.5M
  • XSX|S: 11.3M
  • Combined: 61.8M

That would leave a difference of 1.9M or a 3% difference. If Microsoft actually broke it down to Xbox One install base and Xbox Series X|S install base? I would for sure adjust to match those figures. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

aTokenYeti said:

These numbers are close enough to VGChartz that I’m inclined to believe that VGChartz is still highly accurate with its Xbox numbers.

I also think Ampere is badly under tracking Xbox and those numbers can now be safely discarded

The difference in VGChartz estimates for Xbox One + Xbox Series X|S at the end of 2021 compared to the Microsoft figure is only 3%. Now if we knew where the difference went I would adjust said console(s). But Microsoft didn't break it down by console.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
yo33331 said:

From this? No, as it didn't provide a breakdown for the Xbox install base. Our Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S at the end of 2021 were a bit below the 63.7M figures. But well within the margin of error. 

At the end of 2021 we have:

• X1: 50.5M
  • XSX|S: 11.3M
  • Combined: 61.8M

That would leave a difference of 1.9M or a 3% difference. If Microsoft actually broke it down to Xbox One install base and Xbox Series X|S install base? I would for sure adjust to match those figures. 

I've seen other estimates for X1 be in the higher 50's so my guess is if one is undertracked it's that but of course the lack of actual data means it's nothing concrete.