By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Confirms 63.7m Xbox Install Base as of 31 December 2021

trunkswd said:

So all this data is for the end of 2021.

This is not proven, just an interpretation. I don't wanna lawyer things but "as of 31st december 2021 for Sony, compared to Xbox's 63.7 million. [at the same date]" would make it obvious that the data are all for the end of 2021. But they didn't specify that.

And it's an official legal document, they have to be precise in what they're claiming. Making assumptions here isn't reflecting what's the actual truth so we shouldn't jump to conclusions too fast.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Ryuu96 said:

I've updated the thread title.

What we know.

• The numbers are for the end of 2021

That's solely on your assumption, I wouldn't consider it as "things we know" if 2 days later we find out they were talking about current installed base (which is suggested by the text).

I don't really know how you can possibly read that sentence as anything other than Xbox comparing PS install base as of the end of 2021 to Xbox's install base as of the end of 2021, it is the same sentence, it is a direct comparison.

It literally doesn't make any sense that Microsoft will use the most recent Xbox numbers versus outdated Sony numbers in order to argue that Sony's install base is an advantage for it, c'mon dude, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 12 October 2022

Ryuu96 said:
SKMBlake said:

That's solely on your assumption, I wouldn't consider it as "things we know" if 2 days later we find out they were talking about current installed base (which is suggested by the text).

I don't really know how you can possibly read that sentence as anything other than Xbox comparing PS install base as of the end of 2021 to Xbox's install base as of the end of 2021, it is the same sentence, it is a direct comparison, it makes no sense, Lol.

It literally doesn't make any sense that Microsoft will use the most recent Xbox numbers versus outdated Sony numbers in order to argue that Sony's install base is an advantage to it, c'mon dude, Lol.

I'm a lawyer so "c'mon dude, lol" isn't really a valid point to me.

I read the sentence as it is written "Sony's figures in December were 151 million, ours sit at 63.7 million".

They found a data saying 151 million for Sony, giving it a date cause that's the data probably says (and they want to be accurate).

It's not in their best interest to compare 9 month old figures, in this specific case, it wouldn't be relevant for them. Especially if they paid a big amount of money to have the 151 million estimate, that only goes until 31 December 2021. And they clearly didn't take into consideration fiscal earnings figures cause neither Sony nor Microsoft have their financial year ending on 31 December 2021.

They also counted 280 1st party titles in 2021 for Sony, they probably got it from the same source (and I really don't see how they found out this amount but still).

They're defending their case saying "this is our current situation, compared to our direct competitor". 

Do you see my point ?

I can be wrong, but I wouldn't jump this fast on conclusions as you do. 

If we reverse the situation, when they announced 25 million of GP subscribers, everybody (even VGChartz) assumed it was as the date of the announcement. Curious why it's different, right ?

Although the numbers makes sense if on playstation side MS added the ps vita, why add the numbers of a dead console?. Doesnt make sense to me.

SKMBlake said:
Ryuu96 said:

I don't really know how you can possibly read that sentence as anything other than Xbox comparing PS install base as of the end of 2021 to Xbox's install base as of the end of 2021, it is the same sentence, it is a direct comparison, it makes no sense, Lol.

It literally doesn't make any sense that Microsoft will use the most recent Xbox numbers versus outdated Sony numbers in order to argue that Sony's install base is an advantage to it, c'mon dude, Lol.

I'm a lawyer so "c'mon dude, lol" isn't really a valid point to me.

I read the sentence as it is written "Sony's figures in December were 151 million, ours sit at 63.7 million".

They found a data saying 151 million for Sony, giving it a date cause that's the data probably says (and they want to be accurate).

It's not in their best interest to compare 9 month old figures, in this specific case, it wouldn't be relevant for them. Especially if they paid a big amount of money to have the 151 million estimate, that only goes until 31 December 2021. And they clearly didn't take into consideration fiscal earnings figures cause neither Sony nor Microsoft have their financial year ending on 31 December 2021.

They also counted 280 1st party titles in 2021 for Sony, they probably got it from the same source (and I really don't see how they found out this amount but still).

They're defending their case saying "this is our current situation, compared to our direct competitor". 

Do you see my point ?

I can be wrong, but I wouldn't jump this fast on conclusions as you do. 

If we reverse the situation, when they announced 25 million of GP subscribers, everybody (even VGChartz) assumed it was as the date of the announcement. Curious why it's different, right ?

I don't really care what you are, Lol. This is basic English vocabulary.

"Sony's installed base at the end of 2021 was 151.4 million, as compared to the Xbox installed base of 63.7 million."

It's a direct comparison of two numbers from the same time period.

Where is this data that Microsoft found? Do you REALLY think Microsoft paid a large amount of money to gain access to publicly available Sony numbers that they report on often? Lol. That's not an actual question, of course they didn't.

The dates are just generic "End of Year" as they're the simplest framing.

They're using Sony's install base advantage in order to argue against points made by Sony/CMA in their largest acquisition ever, it makes absolutely no sense that they would use outdated Sony numbers but recent Xbox numbers which would make the gap smaller. It's in their best interest to make the gap as large as possible.

You aren't making any sense.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 12 October 2022

Around the Network

I see that the thread title was changed back without permission, now it just looks like "Microsoft Confirms 63.7m Xbox Install Base, As of When? Nobody Knows!"

Kinda missing the point. Isn't it about a possible monopoly on streaming. Should be comparing PS+ Extra/Premium to Gamepass Ultimate install base.

Well, this thread was a nice backfire on the OP. Series X under tracked, let's go!

Angelv577 said:

Although the numbers makes sense if on playstation side MS added the ps vita, why add the numbers of a dead console?. Doesnt make sense to me.

Because it technically wasn't dead because it was still being supported in 2021 with software. It's definitely MS being bit cheeky with the numbers. 

Wouldn't they have to count their PC gaming services as well? The exclusivity of Activision will affect to those platforms as well, though I imagine they can argue otherwise...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.