By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Confirms 63.7m Xbox Install Base as of 31 December 2021

Ryuu96 said:
trunkswd said:

So all this data is for the end of 2021.

Xbox sales at the end of 2021:

• X1: 50.5M
  • XSX|S: 11.3M
  • Combined: 61.8M

PlayStation sales at the end of 2021:

• PS4: 116.6M
  • PS5: 17.0M
  • PSV: 15.8M
  • Combined: 149.4M

These are just below the stated figures for the end of 2021. If you were to use shipment figures PlayStation would be above 150M and Xbox would 1 million or so higher. Entirely possible we have even undertracked Xbox. But impossible to know if it is Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S. 

Yeah, in actual fact it looks like your tracking is either pretty close or under tracked.

It depends on if Microsoft is using Shipped (as all companies usually do) but "Install Base" sounds like sold to me. However, if it is shipped and taking into consideration that VGChartz is sold, that seems pretty damn accurate?

I think there is still a possibility that Xbox is using analyst numbers though, any idea what Ampere have them at?

With the lack of any sales figures from Microsoft I think we've done a pretty good job getting as close as we have. If 63.7M is sell-through for X1 and XSX|S combined at the end of 2021 it does mean we've undertracked by 1.9M units. But impossible to know if it is for Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S. But we also don't know where this data came from. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Why would they add vita? How long has that being discontinued?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

I've updated the thread title.

What we know.

• The numbers are for the end of 2021.
  • VGChartz is either under tracking or close.

What we don't know.

• If these are official numbers or analyst numbers.
  • If this is shipped or sold.

So VGChartz no matter what is off the hook as being grossly wrong

eva01beserk said:

PS5 and PS4 don't add up to 150M. Even at the end of June 2022 shipments add up to 138.7M. Now at the end of 2021 they add up to 134.1M. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Ryuu96 said:

What we know.

What we don't know.

If these are official numbers this still puts VGChartz estimates within the margin of error. If they aren't official well then we still don't know official Xbox sales. But Xbox's Aaron Greenberg has retweeted and replied to VGChartz sales numbers for the Xbox Series X|S at least twice now. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 12 October 2022

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:

Probably because the Vita was still being supported by developers and publishers in 2021, even though Sony ended it in July. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 12 October 2022

smroadkill15 said:
eva01beserk said:

Probably be because the system was still being supported by developers and publishers in 2021, even though Sony ended it in July. 

That is a good point I hadn't thought of. My thinking was that PS5 and PS4 combined don't add up to 150 million and has to include the Vita to get to that figure.

Even when the WiiU and Vita were doing poor numbers, Nintendo and Sony updated the numbers.

Can’t comprehend why Microsoft stopped updating their numbers.

Ryuu96 said:

What we know.

• The numbers are for the end of 2021

That's solely on your assumption, I wouldn't consider it as "things we know" if 2 days later we find out they were talking about current installed base (which is suggested by the text).

trunkswd said:
Ryuu96 said:

What we know.

What we don't know.

If these are official numbers this still puts VGChartz estimates within the margin of error. If they aren't official well then we still don't know official Xbox sales. But Xbox's Aaron Greenberg has retweeted and replied to VGChartz sales numbers for the Xbox Series X|S at least twice now. 

Yes and the same Aaron Greenberg advertised the "Xbox Next Gen Gameplay" showcase for 2020 and then said he never pretended they said "Gameplay" so meh to his reliability