By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Confirms 63.7m Xbox Install Base as of 31 December 2021

In a response to the UK regulator, MS compared its install base to Sony's, by stating:

It cites PlayStation's current market-leading position with a console install base of 150 million vs Xbox's install base of 63.7 million.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/uk-regular-details-concerns-over-microsofts-proposed-acquisition-of-activision-blizzard-xbox-responds

So if Xbox One sales are at 50+ million, that would put Series X/S sales at 13.7 million

Last edited by AJNShelton - on 12 October 2022

Around the Network

Probably both consoles are overtracked.

Series X/S overtracked by 4M is just bad, this is why no concrete number from MS....smh.

@trunkswd are there gonna be some adjustments on the xbox numbers?

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Not current.

"End of 2021" are the dates for both numbers.

VGChartz had Xbox Series at 11,311,814 by the end of 2021 if I've added that up right.

I don't actually know how to use these tools to work out what Xbox One was at the end of 2021, Lol.

Trunks can work that shit out.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 12 October 2022

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Not current.

I am not sure about this, as they specified for Sony, while not for Xbox, and they certainly know what are the actual figures for Xbox, unlike the ones for Sony. Why use 9 month old figures to prove a point saying they're way behind ? The whole process is to be as transparent as possible, if they sold 20 million since then, it would be lying to the CMA, which would be bad for them.

What's more odd is that they're claiming Sony's install base is 151m. Even with current numbers, it should be 141m with PS4 at 117, PS5 at 24. Unless I'm not fully understanding their statement

Shatts said:

What's more odd is that they're claiming Sony's install base is 151m. Even with current numbers, it should be 141m with PS4 at 117, PS5 at 24. Unless I'm not fully understanding their statement

They're likely adding Vita to pad out Playstation's numbers and make themselves look as weak as possible. They played a similar trick by claiming Sony to be the undisputed No. 1 in gaming vs them being No. 4 or 5 depending on how you look at it.

SKMBlake said:
Ryuu96 said:

Not current.

I am not sure about this, as they specified for Sony, while not for Xbox, and they certainly know what are the actual figures for Xbox, unlike the ones for Sony. Why use 9 month old figures to prove a point saying they're way behind ?

That is definitely specifying for both otherwise it would be a new sentence with a new disclaimer on the numbers.

I.E. Sony's installed base by the end of 2021 was 151m. While Xbox's installed base up until October 2022 was 63m.

They specifically compare Sony's 2021 install base with Xbox's.

Plus, it wouldn't make sense for them to use the most recent Xbox numbers, while using old Sony numbers, as their argument is specifically that Sony has a huge advantage due to the install base difference, in that case they would use more recent PlayStation numbers unless Xbox has closed the gap which is unlikely.

Though unless I'm going mad, those PS numbers don't check out either, Sony said 20m PS5's in June 2022 and 117m PS4's so 137m in total by June 2022 and PS4's was the final total so Idfk. That would mean PS5 would have to sell 14m in 4 months if these were current numbers, Lol but Microsoft outright states that both are 2021 numbers which doesn't make sense either.

I'm going to assume these numbers are from an analyst, maybe Ampere?

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 12 October 2022

Ryuu96 said:

Plus, it wouldn't make sense for them to use the most recent Xbox numbers, while using old Sony numbers, as their argument is specifically that Sony has a huge advantage due to their huge install base, in that case they would use more recent PlayStation numbers unless Xbox has closed the gap which is unlikely.

If they only have a reliable source for Sony dating the figures at the end of the year, it does make sense.

The problem with this footnote that they're quoting an unexisting tweet from Tom Warren, so that adds up to the odd pile.