By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Confirms 63.7m Xbox Install Base as of 31 December 2021

Kyuu said:
Shatts said:

What's more odd is that they're claiming Sony's install base is 151m. Even with current numbers, it should be 141m with PS4 at 117, PS5 at 24. Unless I'm not fully understanding their statement

They're likely adding Vita to pad out Playstation's numbers and make themselves look as weak as possible. They played a similar trick by claiming Sony to be the undisputed No. 1 in gaming vs them being No. 4 or 5 depending on how you look at it.

Ahh that makes actually makes sense and it adds up to about 151m at the end of 2021.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Ryuu96 said:

Plus, it wouldn't make sense for them to use the most recent Xbox numbers, while using old Sony numbers, as their argument is specifically that Sony has a huge advantage due to their huge install base, in that case they would use more recent PlayStation numbers unless Xbox has closed the gap which is unlikely.

If they only have a reliable source for Sony dating the figures at the end of the year, it does make sense.

The problem with this footnote that they're quoting an unexisting tweet from Tom Warren, so that adds up to the odd pile.

Sony's last number report was June 2022, so it isn't the only reliable source that they have.

Tom's tweet exists, it's 1 - For Tom's Tweet, 2 - The Numbers, see here.

The 2 is the source for the first sentence.

The 1 is the source for this sentence.

But back to the numbers, none of them make any sense, Lol. Which is why I think they're using an analyst as a source.

Nice number spinning.

Well... it's a nothingburger after all. Xbox numbers are forever a mystery.

Shatts said:
Kyuu said:

They're likely adding Vita to pad out Playstation's numbers and make themselves look as weak as possible. They played a similar trick by claiming Sony to be the undisputed No. 1 in gaming vs them being No. 4 or 5 depending on how you look at it.

Ahh that makes actually makes sense and it adds up to about 151m at the end of 2021.

If PS4, PS5 + Vita by the end of 2021 add up to 151m then I suppose that is our explanation for Sony's numbers!

Xbox's numbers will be by the end of 2021 as well, I legit considered if they were using VGChartz as a source for a second but I think VGC's numbers are off too by the end of 2021, Lol. I still think they could be using an analyst, does anyone know how it matches up with Ampere? I'm fairly sure that Microsoft for some f*cking reason used analysts as sources of their own numbers before, I mean, Greenberg even tweets about VGChartz's Xbox sales while not revealing the official data, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 12 October 2022

Around the Network

VGC is the way.

Ampere says 10.5m by the end of 2021 for Xbox Series.

VGChartz says 11.3m by the end of 2021 for Xbox Series (Someone recheck for me, Lol).

Don't know what Ampere says for Xbox One by the end of 2021 or VGChartz (been on the site for years and don't know how to use the tools, Lol).

If we assume 50m for both (Xbox One by end of 2021) that'd be 60.5m for Ampere and 61.3m for VGChartz.

Trunks can work it out, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 12 October 2022

Ryuu96 said:
SKMBlake said:

If they only have a reliable source for Sony dating the figures at the end of the year, it does make sense.

The problem with this footnote that they're quoting an unexisting tweet from Tom Warren, so that adds up to the odd pile.

Sony's last number report was June 2022, so it isn't the only reliable source that they have.

The problem is to define "reliable source" for MS.

And i gues they needed figures that adds up with their "more than double install base" claim which the official Sony numbers don't.

Ryuu96 said:

Not current.

"End of 2021" are the dates for both numbers.

VGChartz had Xbox Series at 11,311,814 by the end of 2021 if I've added that up right.

I don't actually know how to use these tools to work out what Xbox One was at the end of 2021, Lol.

Trunks can work that shit out.

So all this data is for the end of 2021.

Xbox sales at the end of 2021:

• X1: 50.5M
  • XSX|S: 11.3M
  • Combined: 61.8M

PlayStation sales at the end of 2021:

• PS4: 116.6M
  • PS5: 17.0M
  • PSV: 15.8M
  • Combined: 149.4M

These are just below the stated figures for the end of 2021. If you were to use shipment figures PlayStation would be above 150M and Xbox would 1 million or so higher. Entirely possible we have even undertracked Xbox. But impossible to know if it is Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Ryuu96 said:

Not current.

"End of 2021" are the dates for both numbers.

VGChartz had Xbox Series at 11,311,814 by the end of 2021 if I've added that up right.

I don't actually know how to use these tools to work out what Xbox One was at the end of 2021, Lol.

Trunks can work that shit out.

So all this data is for the end of 2021.

Xbox sales at the end of 2021:

• X1: 50.5M
  • XSX|S: 11.3M
  • Combined: 61.8M

PlayStation sales at the end of 2021:

• PS4: 116.6M
  • PS5: 17.0M
  • PSV: 15.8M
  • Combined: 149.4M

These are just below the stated figures for the end of 2021. If you were to use shipment figures PlayStation would be above 150M and Xbox would 1 million or so higher. Entirely possible we have even undertracked Xbox. But impossible to know if it is Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S. 

Yeah, in actual fact it looks like your tracking is either pretty close or under tracked.

It depends on if Microsoft is using Shipped (as all companies usually do) but "Install Base" sounds like sold to me. However, if it is shipped and taking into consideration that VGChartz is sold, that seems pretty damn accurate?

I think there is still a possibility that Xbox is using analyst numbers though, any idea what Ampere have them at?