By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Confirms 63.7m Xbox Install Base as of 31 December 2021

Norion said:
trunkswd said:

From this? No, as it didn't provide a breakdown for the Xbox install base. Our Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S at the end of 2021 were a bit below the 63.7M figures. But well within the margin of error. 

At the end of 2021 we have:

• X1: 50.5M
  • XSX|S: 11.3M
  • Combined: 61.8M

That would leave a difference of 1.9M or a 3% difference. If Microsoft actually broke it down to Xbox One install base and Xbox Series X|S install base? I would for sure adjust to match those figures. 

I've seen other estimates for X1 be in the higher 50's so my guess is if one is undertracked it's that but of course the lack of actual data means it's nothing concrete.

I do agree it is likely the Xbox One. But it is impossible to know for sure. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Seems like a lot of spinning in numbers without giving through Numbers.

Since what they love is MAU they should have listed MAU for both platforms (but that would make the gap smaller). I do remember couple years back when they said they had the highest MAU in the industry (and of course were wrong).

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 13 October 2022

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SKMBlake said:

So if Xbox One sales are at 50+ million, that would put Series X/S sales at 13.7 million

So Series X/S possibly under tracked on VGC by 2 million at the end of 2021.

trunkswd said:

From this? No, as it didn't provide a breakdown for the Xbox install base. Our Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S at the end of 2021 were a bit below the 63.7M figures. But well within the margin of error. 

That would leave a difference of 1.9M or a 3% difference. If Microsoft actually broke it down to Xbox One install base and Xbox Series X|S install base? I would for sure adjust to match those figures. 

Combined also showing possibly under tracked by close to 2 million.

If OP's numbers are correct for Xbox hardware, then todays figures would be above 19 million for the Series X/S.  Hopefully more figures are released for verification and these numbers can be adjusted.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
SKMBlake said:

So if Xbox One sales are at 50+ million, that would put Series X/S sales at 13.7 million

So Series X/S possibly under tracked on VGC by 2 million at the end of 2021.

trunkswd said:

Combined also showing possibly under tracked by close to 2 million.

If OP's numbers are correct for Xbox hardware, then todays figures would be above 19 million for the Series X/S.  Hopefully more figures are released for verification and these numbers can be adjusted.

Not knowing the breakdown of the 63.7 million figures is the issue. Though, if I were to take a guess the undertrack is more likely to be with the Xbox One than the Xbox Series X|S. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

It’s a shame we didn’t get the Xbox breakdown for that 63.7 number, but I am inclined to believe that VGC slightly under tracked the Xbox one, as opposed to majorly under tracked the Xbox Series X|S. Of course it could also be a combination of the two.

Around the Network
aTokenYeti said:

It’s a shame we didn’t get the Xbox breakdown for that 63.7 number, but I am inclined to believe that VGC slightly under tracked the Xbox one, as opposed to majorly under tracked the Xbox Series X|S. Of course it could also be a combination of the two.

I'll talk with Machina and see what he thinks. I agree it is likely the undertrack is either all with the Xbox One or the vast majority is with the Xbox One. If Xbox One sales all of a sudden go up you will know why. Though we have enough data for most of the world, so the areas we could be undertracked in could potentially be Latin America, OEurope (mainly Eastern Europe), Asia, Oceania, and MEA (Middle-East, Africa).

trunkswd said:

Not knowing the breakdown of the 63.7 million figures is the issue. Though, if I were to take a guess the undertrack is more likely to be with the Xbox One than the Xbox Series X|S. 

More than likely the 63.7 million is shipped so we can safely deduct the number of Xbox one sitting on shelves at that time which would at least be in the hundreds of thousands. Does VGC have and estimation of how much stock can be sitting on store shelves at any one time?

EpicRandy said:
trunkswd said:

More than likely the 63.7 million is shipped so we can safely deduct the number of Xbox one sitting on shelves at that time which would at least be in the hundreds of thousands. Does VGC have and estimation of how much stock can be sitting on store shelves at any one time?

All Xbox One production was stopped at the end of 2020. 

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

EpicRandy said:
trunkswd said:

If it is shipped that would make up some of the difference. But it wouldn't be much for the Xbox One at the end of the 2021 as it was discontinued at the end of 2020. Xbox Series X|S would have some difference. I'd guess at the most 1 million, but likely less. But as we know the Series X has had supply issues and it really wasn't until this year that the Series S became readily available everywhere.

If it is shipped the difference would more likely be 1M-1.2M versus 1.9M. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 13 October 2022

trunkswd said:
aTokenYeti said:

I'll talk with Machina and see what he thinks. I agree it is likely the undertrack is either all with the Xbox One or the vast majority is with the Xbox One. If Xbox One sales all of a sudden go up you will know why. Though we have enough data for most of the world, so the areas we could be undertracked in could potentially be Latin America, OEurope (mainly Eastern Europe), Asia, Oceania, and MEA (Middle-East, Africa).

If there is no source for the numbers (it could just be another tracker or consultant number, PS numbers don't match shipped ones from Sony nor the sold through released near date by Sony for PS5 plus total shipped PSV+PS4 - which would have barely any difference from sold). So I wouldn't change anything so far.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."