By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Reveals Xbox Series X/S Sales Numbers

My console predictions were really damn good back in 2014, 120M for PS4 and 60M for XBO, basically nailed both.

Around the Network

oh wow. So the Series estimates seem about on point, but Xbox1 was way undertracked. 51m to 58m.

Farsala said:
gtotheunit91 said:

When it came to the discourse online, you’d think the Xbox One sold as much as the Dreamcast or Wii U lol. A huge downgrade compared to the 360 of course, but with how dreadful the Xbox One started the generation, that is a respectable turnaround.

And that’s with a minimum number of what I would consider must have exclusives. Even with Series consoles having only a few notable exclusives up to this point, 20+ million is a pretty good start all things considered after just 2 years. Definitely being carried by Game Pass though lol.

Now that Series X is finally getting its production problems sorted out just in time for the release of Starfield, by far Xbox’s biggest exclusive since the 360, things are finally lining up. Already 4 known exclusives for 2024 and that will only continue to grow. If Xbox’s first party releases are consistent in quality, Series consoles should be able to reach, if not succeed, the 360.

XB1 did great early on because of games. It was the latter years where things fell off due to games.

Those initial few months, yes, but things died off very quickly. By the time the white Xbox One released alongside Sunset Overdrive at the end of 2014, which I had gotten, XOne sales had long tanked and the course was that XOne was already lost and PS4 skyrocketed. The number of must have games were almost nonexistent after the first year, $100 more expensive, forced Kinect, and more of a focus on entertainment than gaming really destroyed the Xbox brand after that first year which led to no more announced console sales shortly thereafter. 

Things really started turning around by the time the One S and especially the One X released. Which around that time was when Game Pass released. 

Phil Spencer had to turn around Xbox’s entire business, including shutting down their entertainment division. It took a few years to get the brand turned around then that’s when they started their studio acquisitions since they had only 3-4 first party studios lol, and focus on PC and Cloud. 

-Adonis- said:

Following almost a decade of not reporting on Xbox sales, Microsoft casually reveals the sales numbers of its last two console generations.

Lifetime Xbox Console Sales Numbers in June 2023

Xbox Series X/S: 21 million
Xbox One: 58 million

Source : https://gamerant.com/xbox-one-series-x-s-console-sales-june-2023/

-------------------------------

Vgchartz is pretty spot on for Xbox sales, Xbox Series is just overtracked by one million more or less.

Great numbers! A lot higher for X1 then this site lead us to believe.

我是广州人

trunkswd said:

There was no date given for these figures and as figures are generally posted quarterly these are most likely through March. Also 21M+ could potentially mean anything from 21M to 21.9M. 

I adjusted the Xbox One figures yesterday to match this data. 

It's surprising that the Xbox One lifetime figures would be off by that much. After all, the lion share of the sales came from the USA and the UK where we got numbers every now and then. The bigger European countries weren't mysteries either. And all of this was kept track of year by year, so the Xbox One wasn't a guessing game like Sony's Vita where any kind of sales data was rare outside of Japan.

What are people on InstallBase thinking where the notable discrepancies occured? They may not consider VGC estimates reliable, but ZhugeEX was respected as credible and his estimates weren't too different from what VGC had.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
trunkswd said:

There was no date given for these figures and as figures are generally posted quarterly these are most likely through March. Also 21M+ could potentially mean anything from 21M to 21.9M. 

I adjusted the Xbox One figures yesterday to match this data. 

It's surprising that the Xbox One lifetime figures would be off by that much. After all, the lion share of the sales came from the USA and the UK where we got numbers every now and then. The bigger European countries weren't mysteries either. And all of this was kept track of year by year, so the Xbox One wasn't a guessing game like Sony's Vita where any kind of sales data was rare outside of Japan.

What are people on InstallBase thinking where the notable discrepancies occured? They may not consider VGC estimates reliable, but ZhugeEX was respected as credible and his estimates weren't too different from what VGC had.

Discrepancies are likely in places there isn't much data that have seen more growth than we originally expected over the last decade. Latin America, Asia, MEA, and Other Europe (mainly Eastern Europe).

Most people gave Xbox One estimates in the low 50M range and I remember seeing one as high as 55M. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter, Bluesky, and Threads.

I post and adjust the VGChartz hardware estimates, with help from Machina.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Monthly Hardware Breakdown Monthly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

We should get updated 8th gen vs 7th gen article now. They are 175.01M now, vs the 173.22M for the 7th gen.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

-Adonis- said:

Following almost a decade of not reporting on Xbox sales, Microsoft casually reveals the sales numbers of its last two console generations.

Lifetime Xbox Console Sales Numbers in June 2023

Xbox Series X/S: 21 million
Xbox One: 58 million

Source : https://gamerant.com/xbox-one-series-x-s-console-sales-june-2023/

-------------------------------

Vgchartz is pretty spot on for Xbox sales, Xbox Series is just overtracked by one million more or less.

Considering how close VGC is I wouldn't be surprised if they used VGC as source (they have in the recent past).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

trunkswd said:

https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/microsoft-at-big-festival-says-xbox-series-x-s-is-at-21m-xbox-one-58m.1764/#post-173895

Btw Ampere adjusted their Xbox Series estimates up by about a million and they pretty much match the VGChartz estimates. Less than a 1% difference between the 2 in March.

Ampere analyst: "We upgraded our sell-through estimates for end of 2022 previously. It is 19.5m. 21.1m end of March."

This, right here, should hopefully end all of the detractors that keep referencing Ampere numbers suggesting that VGChartz is much less accurate. 

I'd hope that would also quell some of the individuals that suggest this site is biased towards Xbox as well (I see this more from other communities such as N4G). Though, unfortunately, a lot of times when people claim things like that they have their own confirmation bias, so this information may not even be considered by them. 

Farsala said:

So it's official MS has sold less XB Series and XB1 combined than XB360 alone.

10 years of XB Series and XB1 vs ~8 years for 360.

MS really needs to get their first party studios in order to pump out more quality games.

I mean, considering:
1) PS4 was $100 cheaper at launch.
2) PS4 was more powerful, which meant ALL 3rd party games ran better on it.
3) PS4 had better 3rd party support (I mean, the X1 had almost 0 support from japanese developers).

You gotta wonder why the heck did so many people choose the X1 over the PS4? I'm inclined to think that Xbox's 1st party games did a lot more heavy lifting than Sony's.