By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Reveals Xbox Series X/S Sales Numbers

Xbox Series should do better than 58m though probably not as much as Microsoft had hoped. If they almost sold 60m despite screwing up as much as they did with the Xbox One I think they would've easily reached the 70's if it was closer in power and the same price as the PS4 at launch and they didn't have such a disastrous reveal.

chakkra said:
Farsala said:

So it's official MS has sold less XB Series and XB1 combined than XB360 alone.

10 years of XB Series and XB1 vs ~8 years for 360.

MS really needs to get their first party studios in order to pump out more quality games.

I mean, considering:
1) PS4 was $100 cheaper at launch.
2) PS4 was more powerful, which meant ALL 3rd party games ran better on it.
3) PS4 had better 3rd party support (I mean, the X1 had almost 0 support from japanese developers).

You gotta wonder why the heck did so many people choose the X1 over the PS4? I'm inclined to think that Xbox's 1st party games did a lot more heavy lifting than Sony's.

I expect it's mostly brand loyalty. A lot of 360 owners switched to the PS4 but most didn't cause they didn't mess up enough for that to happen.

Last edited by Norion - on 01 July 2023

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
DonFerrari said:

Considering how close VGC is I wouldn't be surprised if they used VGC as source (they have in the recent past).

It’s actually from MS themselves lol. They posted info on a board at some event in Brazil. 

This. We had Xbox One a bit over 51M before this data from Microsoft came out. I adjusted our Xbox One estimates yesterday to match the figures. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

gtotheunit91 said:
DonFerrari said:

Considering how close VGC is I wouldn't be surprised if they used VGC as source (they have in the recent past).

It’s actually from MS themselves lol. They posted info on a board at some event in Brazil. 

I know they did. But in the recent past one MS rep (I think it was even Phil) posted on Twitter sales number that were taken (and credited) from VGC.

The slide itself didn't had a source I guess (like when Sony gives sales number and put the source as internal tracking or anything like that).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I know they did. But in the recent past one MS rep (I think it was even Phil) posted on Twitter sales number that were taken (and credited) from VGC.

The slide itself didn't had a source I guess (like when Sony gives sales number and put the source as internal tracking or anything like that).

Oh I remember what you’re talking about now! It started with someone like Jeff Grubb I think it was posting VGC estimates of Xbox Series consoles and it began to spread on Twitter so much that it got a retweet from Aaron and Phil. So props to Trunks for sure that he’s that close on console estimates for having so little public data available. 

Numbers at last from Microsoft. It's about time.

And an unexpected 7 million boost to Xbox One numbers to boot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Those 7 million Xbone sold missing from the tally is weird but I guess some overseas market must've picked up the slack in places we didn't have much info on. It does help that the Xbone was quite cheap towards the end of it's life so it prolly found a less fortunate audience there

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

chakkra said:
Farsala said:

So it's official MS has sold less XB Series and XB1 combined than XB360 alone.

10 years of XB Series and XB1 vs ~8 years for 360.

MS really needs to get their first party studios in order to pump out more quality games.

I mean, considering:
1) PS4 was $100 cheaper at launch.
2) PS4 was more powerful, which meant ALL 3rd party games ran better on it.
3) PS4 had better 3rd party support (I mean, the X1 had almost 0 support from japanese developers).

You gotta wonder why the heck did so many people choose the X1 over the PS4? I'm inclined to think that Xbox's 1st party games did a lot more heavy lifting than Sony's.

Compare early PS3/360 and the 360 was doing quite well due to quality games like Halo 3, Gears of War and exclusive JRPGs like Lost Odyssey. Even early XB1+ kinect sales were quite good despite the $100 more expensive due to quality games like Titanfall.

But when MS struggles to push out quality games like for most of XB1 and XB Series life, then they end up selling less combined than the 360.

Meanwhile end of PS3 and into the PS4 era, Sony pushed out quality first party games and the result was the PS3 resurgence and PS4 selling quite well.

This means that in the end PS4/XB1 outsold the PS3/X360 despite a whole year headstart for the X360 and a quick drop-off that was rather uncharacteristic of Sony consoles for the PS4.

Mar1217 said:

Those 7 million Xbone sold missing from the tally is weird but I guess some overseas market must've picked up the slack in places we didn't have much info on. It does help that the Xbone was quite cheap towards the end of it's life so it prolly found a less fortunate audience there

The Xbox One S had a 4k blu ray drive and could be found on sale frequently for $250 or less, it was also a small and good looking little console, it was a great value budget home media center and I’m sure a lot of people bought it for that. 

haxxiy said:

This means that in the end PS4/XB1 outsold the PS3/X360 despite a whole year headstart for the X360 and a quick drop-off that was rather uncharacteristic of Sony consoles for the PS4.

This is something I hadn’t considered, but you are right