By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Reveals Xbox Series X/S Sales Numbers

gtotheunit91 said:

When it came to the discourse online, you’d think the Xbox One sold as much as the Dreamcast or Wii U lol. A huge downgrade compared to the 360 of course, but with how dreadful the Xbox One started the generation, that is a respectable turnaround.

And that’s with a minimum number of what I would consider must have exclusives. Even with Series consoles having only a few notable exclusives up to this point, 20+ million is a pretty good start all things considered after just 2 years. Definitely being carried by Game Pass though lol.

Now that Series X is finally getting its production problems sorted out just in time for the release of Starfield, by far Xbox’s biggest exclusive since the 360, things are finally lining up. Already 4 known exclusives for 2024 and that will only continue to grow. If Xbox’s first party releases are consistent in quality, Series consoles should be able to reach, if not succeed, the 360.

Sales of the X1 were a lot better on the 1st year perhaps first 2 years (when those supposedly bad announcement occured) than its last 3 years...

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Ehh, though for a second that we would get the split between Series S and Series X, but it's Series and XOne :/

It's what happens when you make everything available on PC as the latest MAU numbers have XBox at 120M.
Seems like most XBox players are on PC nowadays.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/microsoft-says-xbox-monthly-active-users-hit-a-record-120-million/
That's 1.5x more than XOne and Series sales combined.

Plus MS says Playstation has double the MAU of XBox consoles
https://exputer.com/news/playstation-double-maus-xbox-microsoft/
In the CMA report, Microsoft said that PlayStation has double the MAUs of Xbox.
Sony reported PlayStation had 112 million active users last quarter, which most probably puts Xbox at 50-55 million.
PlayStation also has the highest market share in hardware and console install base globally, while Xbox is last in both.

That would put over half of XBox users on PC unless MS is doing something fancy with number reporting.
It makes sense, GP on PC is cheaper and no fee for multiplayer.

The Xbox MAU also included Switch and PS users of games like Minecraft.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

IcaroRibeiro said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Series X/S numbers don't look too bad, but still underwhelming. Another reason they should have been better handling Rare all these years.

I think the sales are good, but they are losing steam fast. Last month VG Charts estimated only ~329k sales WW combined with all regions, this is less than PS5 and Switch are doing in America, Europe, and Asia

PS5 is getting many huge back-to-back hits, and MS, as always, is surviving from third parties that are also released in both PCs and PS5. If Starfield doesn't shake things a bit, there is no hope for MS in the foreseeable future, Series will likely cap on 50-65 million copies sold range and they need to try it again next gen

I'm a bit confused about this statement, the last huge 1st party exclusive from Sony was back in November, and their next one is in October this year; in what world is a 11-months gap considered "back to back".

chakkra said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I think the sales are good, but they are losing steam fast. Last month VG Charts estimated only ~329k sales WW combined with all regions, this is less than PS5 and Switch are doing in America, Europe, and Asia

PS5 is getting many huge back-to-back hits, and MS, as always, is surviving from third parties that are also released in both PCs and PS5. If Starfield doesn't shake things a bit, there is no hope for MS in the foreseeable future, Series will likely cap on 50-65 million copies sold range and they need to try it again next gen

I'm a bit confused about this statement, the last huge 1st party exclusive from Sony was back in November, and their next one is in October this year; in what world is a 11-months gap considered "back to back".

They just had Final Fantasy released like... last week.  

Doctor_MG said:
trunkswd said:

https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/microsoft-at-big-festival-says-xbox-series-x-s-is-at-21m-xbox-one-58m.1764/#post-173895

Btw Ampere adjusted their Xbox Series estimates up by about a million and they pretty much match the VGChartz estimates. Less than a 1% difference between the 2 in March.

Ampere analyst: "We upgraded our sell-through estimates for end of 2022 previously. It is 19.5m. 21.1m end of March."

This, right here, should hopefully end all of the detractors that keep referencing Ampere numbers suggesting that VGChartz is much less accurate. 

I'd hope that would also quell some of the individuals that suggest this site is biased towards Xbox as well (I see this more from other communities such as N4G). Though, unfortunately, a lot of times when people claim things like that they have their own confirmation bias, so this information may not even be considered by them. 

I would love for it to get people to stop saying this site estimates are less accurate when compared to Ampere. But I'm sure I will still see plenty of people mentioning the old Ampere figures and saying we have Xbox overtracked by millions. 

What I care about the most is having our estimates as accurate as possible based on available data. And making adjustments when more data comes out. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
yo33331 said:

We should get updated 8th gen vs 7th gen article now. They are 175.01M now, vs the 173.22M for the 7th gen.

You will see the updated line in the 9th vs 8th (PS+Xbox) gen article. But I can give the actual numbers for the 8yh and 7th gen in a thread post on the sales comparison thread for May. At this point 8th gen passes 7th gen a long while ago due to the adjustments. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

IcaroRibeiro said:
chakkra said:

My brother in Christ.. you literally just wrote, "MS, as always, is surviving from third parties".

Doctor_MG said:
trunkswd said:

https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/microsoft-at-big-festival-says-xbox-series-x-s-is-at-21m-xbox-one-58m.1764/#post-173895

Btw Ampere adjusted their Xbox Series estimates up by about a million and they pretty much match the VGChartz estimates. Less than a 1% difference between the 2 in March.

Ampere analyst: "We upgraded our sell-through estimates for end of 2022 previously. It is 19.5m. 21.1m end of March."

This, right here, should hopefully end all of the detractors that keep referencing Ampere numbers suggesting that VGChartz is much less accurate. 

I'd hope that would also quell some of the individuals that suggest this site is biased towards Xbox as well (I see this more from other communities such as N4G). Though, unfortunately, a lot of times when people claim things like that they have their own confirmation bias, so this information may not even be considered by them. 

Unfortunately, this won't happen. I frequent N4G because it has a nice catalog of news, but the comment section is insufferable. Even the article posted about these numbers is the same trolling always seen regarding Xbox. Some still calling VGC bias and whatever. 

chakkra said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

My brother in Christ.. you literally just wrote, "MS, as always, is surviving from third parties".

Nope, I said surviving from third parties that are ALSO in other platforms. The point is there is no shortage of big release on PS5, they have released numerous exclusives, even if they are timed exclusives that eventually are released on PCs. Microsoft big releases like Diablo and Hogwarts are also on PS5. That's the point. 

DonFerrari said:
-Adonis- said:

Following almost a decade of not reporting on Xbox sales, Microsoft casually reveals the sales numbers of its last two console generations.

Lifetime Xbox Console Sales Numbers in June 2023

Xbox Series X/S: 21 million
Xbox One: 58 million

Source : https://gamerant.com/xbox-one-series-x-s-console-sales-june-2023/

-------------------------------

Vgchartz is pretty spot on for Xbox sales, Xbox Series is just overtracked by one million more or less.

Considering how close VGC is I wouldn't be surprised if they used VGC as source (they have in the recent past).

It’s actually from MS themselves lol. They posted info on a board at some event in Brazil.